“Fabulous location, excellent food but let down by poor shabby interior”

Polurrian Bay Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mullion
Reviewed August 17, 2009

Just returned after 8 nights stay after our first visit in 2007 and can honestly say we were disappointed and let down by the poor standard of "refurbishment" that was promised on our last stay. Rooms very bland, the public areas are tatty, with the corridors up to the top floors scruffy and dirty with grubby stains and God knows what else. A lick of paint is all that would be needed to much improve these areas, and as for the restaurant and lounge bar, the swags and tails have been replaced with cold white blinds which are totally not in keeping with the age of the building and the sofas are grubby looking with non-co-ordinating cushions complete with stains. You can hear a pin drop in here after the evening meal, so everyone whispers amongst themselves to keep a sense of privacy. SOLUTION - Subtle music playing in the background would make this room so much more appealing to spend time in. The bar was literally dead - it should be bustling with people wanting to spend their money but alas no. Harsh maybe? Afraid not, considering the price we paid (just under £2000.00) we expected a much higher standard of accommodation. On a positive note, the location cannot be faulted and the food is fabulous, along with very friendly staff. Will we return? Sadly not.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed July 9, 2009

My new husband and I had our wedding reception and evening party at the Polurrian Hotel on 13th June 09. It was the best that we could have hoped for, everything went to plan without stress and many of our guests said it was the best wedding they had attended. The staff were amazing, nothing was too much trouble (even into the early hours as the party raged on). The food was spot on, we had a sit down meal for 90 guests and the food arrived hot and was of a high standard. I am told that the evening buffet was the same, didn't get chance to eat any of it myself! I would recommend this hotel to any couple who want a Cornish wedding with amazing views and quality food. This is a hotel which will be flexible to meet the needs of the client. My new husband and I are planning to see if we can have a 1st anniversary party there where once again we can all enjoy what the Polurrian has to offer with the company of our friends and family. Thanks Polurrian, you helped make our day one to remember!!

Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank snowgirl_1975
Reviewed July 6, 2009

We have just had the good fortune of staying at the Polurian Hotel for 16 days, as we have for the past 7 years. The hotel has been refurbished to an excellent standard. It is a beautiful hotel with exquisite sea views and excellent activity facilities including tennis, swimming, (indoor and outdoor), and snooker together with a leisure center with a gym and spa. Mullion Golf course is only a few minutes drive and well worth a round. The wonderful walks and beaches added to our enjoyment. All the staff where friendly and helpful. The chef was excellent using local fish and products. We really looked forward to our meals. We are eagerly looking forward to our next, already booked, visit.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 5, 2009

My husband and I have just returned from honeymoon, we were married at the Polurrian hotel on the 6th june 2009. We stayed there for three nights so did about 30 of our friends and family. we had the most wonderful time, the staff could not have been more helpful and attentive, the food second to none. I think the person who wrote the previous comments must have got the hotel name wrong or is a a very demanding individual. All our guests have said they will return and we are planning our 1st wedding annerversary there for sure. thank you to all at the Polurrian for making our stay and our wedding so special!
Sue and Javan Smith

1  Thank millie090
Reviewed July 2, 2009

Sensational location on the cliff top set in beautiful gardens leading down to the sea and little beach.
Our room was great with sea view and simple but lovely decor.
Main rooms are also light and airy, looking over the sea for fantastic sunsets at night.

Worst service I have come across - making fawlty towers look organised. We sat at breakfast amongst dirty plates, had to ask 4x for tea and toast. At dinner we were brought warm white wine and offered ice cubes as a solution, to accompany our food which varied from lovely to tasteless and overcooked.

They do self catering apartments so I'm sure these would be great - and we met some folk who had returned to these for over 10 years.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank toddydevon
Reviewed April 24, 2009

After reading some of the reviews of the hotel from trip advisor I was slightly concerned about booking a trip to the hotel. I've been to Mullion since I was 3 years old and to the Polurrian since I was about 10 years old, so have many fond family memories of the hotel and location. Haven't been to the area for at least 5 years so decided to book a few days to see what it's like now. Was very impressed by it all to be honest. Staff we friendly, location amazing, hotel decoration re-vamped and left feeling refreshed and wanting to book again for next year with no hesitation. I think this hotel will only improve more as time goes on.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ewee77
Reviewed March 22, 2009

Anyone reading my review in 2005 will know that I said I would never visit again as after many years of visiting the Polurrian standards had dropped to rock bottom. My letter of complaint to Mr Barlow was replied to with promises to do better and they have. We were tempted back by the offer of a short break and were upgraded to a superior seaview room (72).The whole hotel has been redecorated and fixtures and fittings upgraded. Our room was lovely. The jury is still out on the new decor in the lounge and dining room however. I am not sure it is inkeeping with an Edwardian building. The curtains have been replaced with white venetian blinds leaving the rooms very 'stark'. I think the sun will be a problem in summer, whilst its nice to see one doesn't want to be blinded by it.When we arrived I requested a cream tea but was told they had run out of cream (2pm).We sat in the lounge thinking 'here we go again' but were then told if we didn't mind waiting they would go out and get some, it was as lovely as ever, well done.I recognised none of the staff from before but they are all very friendly and helpful. They have a good understanding of english but were appt to be a little forgetful, we often had to request things more than once.Our meal on the first night was dreadful but we later discovered it was the Chefs night off. We waited 40 minutes from sorbet to main course and then the food was over cooked and cold. To be fair the duty manager was very apologetic and concerned.Breakfast the next day was a story of disorganisation. We waited 20 minutes from being shown to our table to our tea / coffee order being taken (the couple next to us had waited half an hour) and it was 45 minutes before we got our cooked food ( the requested sauce never did arrive). From then on though things improved, dinner that night was lovely, the time between courses perfect. Next morning Breakfast was alot better. We were seated by the duty manager who took our order there and then.Overall though the food did not match the standard of previous visits but I appreciate we were only there 2 nights and in the past we have stayed for 2 weeks at a time
We heard other storys from other guests of requested rooms not being available and rooms not being serviced.
And our verdict? Well you cannot beat this hotels position and if you have a sense of humour, can accept the odd mistake and relax then give it ago. We have booked again!!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Martinthecritic
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mullion
Mullion Cove Hotel
16 mi away
Tregenna Castle Resort
Tregenna Castle Resort
#10 of 21 in St Ives

Been to Polurrian Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!