“Gorgeous view and fabulous staff”

Polurrian Bay Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mullion
Reviewed March 28, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a wedding and I can not fault a thing.
The staff were friendly and extremely accommodating to all our needs.
The food was lovely for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We were even lucky enough to meet the chef / kitchen staff (who were just as lovely as the front of house staff).
The facilities at the hotel were great from entertaining the kids to the use of the pool/spa.
I was very lucky to have a room overlooking Polurrian Cove so had the exquisite view 24/7.
It was a nice touch that they are dog friendly.
I would definitely love to stay at this hotel again next time we are in the area.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Yvonne C, General Manager at Polurrian Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2014

Thank you for your lovely review. We are delighted that you enjoyed staying with us over your friends very special wedding. It was our pleasure to host this wonderful occasion and I do hope your visit will generate many happy memories for years to come. It would be lovely to welcome you back again at some time in the future. Do bring your photos with you , we would love to see them. With thanks and best wishes, Yvonne, Clare, Paul (the Chef) and all the Team at Polurrian.

Reviewed March 28, 2014

Can't fault anything! Our lovely room had amazing sea views out of both windows. Every member of staff was welcoming and nothing too much trouble. Some of the few negative comments are unbelievable! Snoring in another bedroom and slow service!! If you want express service it won't be freshly prepared for you. It's all part of the experience to know that nothing is rushed. I'm sure if you were in a hurry they would manage it. The food was excellent, really top quality, loved the different fish dishes. We liked the child free evening meal. The few children seemed well catered for and our dog was happy too! Helen in the spa gives wonderful massages. Great walks...Really lovely break..thank you all.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your very kind review. I am so pleased you enjoyed your visit especially the food. We are so lucky to have an abundance of great local ingredients to prepare and it's very rewarding for us when they are appreciated. Thank you also for giving Helen a mention, it will certainly make her smile. We look forward to welcoming you and your four legged friend back at some time in the future. Yvonne, Helen and the team at Polurrian.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

My wife and I have stayed on two previous occasions at this beautifully located Hotel above the cliffs and overlooking Mounts Bay.

Our third visit last week-end proved that this Hotel is no seven day wonder , but a place where you can get excellent service, enjoy superbly fitted out rooms and really completely relax on a consistent basis.

The Hotels own description is 100% true and we will definitely be returning sometime later this year for our "shot" of Polurrian hospitality and tranquility.

Thank you to all concerned from my wife and I , plus of course our Border Collie, Casper!

Room Tip: Book the spa early as it is very popular!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Yvonne C, General Manager at Polurrian Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Thank you so much for your very kind review. We are all delighted to know that you enjoyed your most recent visit to Polurrian and look forward to welcoming you and Casper back later in the year. Our canine friends need their holidays too ! Best wishes and thanks from Yvonne & The Team.

Reviewed March 20, 2014

We booked a very good priced Travelzoo deal during March 2014. The room was excellent with stunning sea views. Breakfast and dinner were of an exceptional standard. Spa facilities were most welcome after walking the southwest coastal path that runs directly below the hotel grounds. The staff were friendly and welcoming. Looking forward to our next visit. Highly recommend this stunning hotel!!

Room Tip: We were upgraded to a room with a sea view which certainly helped to make our stay memorable!
1  Thank Sharonindevon
Yvonne C, General Manager at Polurrian Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

Thank you for your very positive post visit review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back next time you are visiting the Lizard. With best wishes from Yvonne and the Team at Polurrian

Reviewed March 17, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a four night break back in 2002 and we loved it . The other residents were mainly couples and the hotel was relaxed and welcoming . We enjoyed using the leisure facilities and the food was served by very experienced silver service waiters and waitresses and was exceptional. I still remember it as one of the best hotels we had stayed in for amazing food at the time.
The position of this hotel is second to none in the UK . It is basically on the coastal path and the views from the seaward side are amazing. The people in the village are friendly and welcoming and there are several bars within walking distance for after dinner drinks. It is a really lovely place to walk and explore.

We returned for a two day break on 15th February and were very impressed by the makeover that has taken place since our last visit. There is a large glass fronted central extension where guests can chill out or have lunch or afternoon tea. The rest of the hotel has a contemporary, cosy beach theme and the bedrooms are comfortable and minimalist. The staff were polite and helpful . We did have a few problems however…. The first night after dinner we went to bed and were asleep by midnight, We were woken about quarter to two by VERY loud snoring coming from the room above ours, this continued and at four o'clock I took myself off to the reception to ask for help regarding this annoying problem. There was nobody anywhere and I sat for fifteen minutes hoping someone would return but no luck- I had pressed the call button. I went back to the room and the snoring continued loudly. I had seen a door ajar opposite our room so I knocked and popped my head around, the room was empty and obviously being refurbished but the bed was made up and we were desperate for some sleep so we went in there to sleep( we could still hear the snoring but it was bearable.) At about six o'clock the poor maintenance guy walked in so we were woken up again . He kindly let us stay in there until eight but we had a disappointing first night. As the other resident was staying we moved room for the next night .
Both rooms had amazing views. The second room was smaller and the bed was not as comfortable but at least no snoring. The bathrooms were a bit disappointing. The shower heads were small and fiddly to aim over the head and the second toilet had a 'slipping' toilet seat.
The leisure facilities were hopeless. The jacuzzi was full of warm water but was not working and had no controls connected.(dangerous) I think the fitness/pool complex should be adults only from five to seven p.m. The swimming pool was over full of parents and small children both of the evenings when we attempted to use it. On the first night there were three big boys diving and jumping into the deep end which was still fairly shallow The gym is tiny and uninspiring but functional if you just want half an hour on the running machine. There were no weights available. There was no assistant in the leisure complex on either of our visits.
The food in the restaurant at dinner was very average. Not many vegetables and the overwhelming taste of the main course was that of salt. The presentation was acceptable and its a shame the food didn't taste as good as it looked. On the Saturday my stuffed guinea fowl was tasteless and a bit slimy ,not much actual meat. On the sunday the 'roast 'potatoes tasted deep fried and my supreme of chicken was bloody next to the bone.We had poached pears for pudding both days so not much to go wrong there. It was bistro style dining and I like to be spoilt when I stay in a hotel. The waiter or waitress serving us changed several times at breakfast and dinner so we felt the service was disorganised and confusing. All the hotel staff were friendly and smiley however but I felt the organisation in the restaurant could improve.
I feel the hotel is probably more suited to the young family market now which is sad as we love the position and everything else about it.

Room Tip: 107 was good if they fix the loo, the views are superb. and 808 was amazing as long as there are no...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Yvonne C, General Manager at Polurrian Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Thank you for posting a review following your fist visit since 2002. The hotel has as you pointed out changed considerably with a key but not exclusive focus on the family market. It was good to know that you liked many aspects of the changes however I was disappointed to learn of the few aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations. Your feedback is much appreciated and helps focus attention on items that we can address. As a light sleeper myself I must commend you on your ingenuity and am pleased that you had a better nights sleep on the second night. Should you be kind enough to visit us again in the future pleased to let me know in advance so that I might meet you personally. With my sincere thanks and good wishes, Yvonne Colgan

Reviewed March 16, 2014

We tried this hotel with a special offer two nights Dinner Bed and Breakfast with the addition of a special rate for the spa treatment. We found it a good hotel and all the staff were very good and helpful,only one comment the waiters did not quite understand the orders sometimes and the food arrived which we had not ordered on more than one occasion! Saying that when it did arrive it was very very good and we could not fault it.
Although a family hotel,they seemed to be able to cope with small children and we were not aware of them at any time,as they seemed have different meal times and various activities to help parents also enjoy themselves.
The views from the hotel are fantastic and we were lucky enough to be up graded to a front view room which was very comfortable,all in all a delight to stay in.

Room Tip: Sea facing is a must and in our case ground floor
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind review following your recent stay with us. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay and found that the balance between our family and non-family focus worked for you. We look forward to welcoming you back next time you are taking a break in the Duchy. With thanks and good wishes, Yvonne & The Team.

Reviewed March 14, 2014

We booked a very reasonably priced Travelzoo 2 day break at the begining of March and were certainly not disappointed. Although we arrived in torrential rain and high winds, after drying off, we were soon able to enjoy the spectacular views of the sea from the enormous picture window in the Vista lounge. The coastline is beautifully rugged and a photographer's paradise.

The hotel has recently been refurbished and the decor is of high quality and tasteful. Our room and the public areas were spotless and the staff universally friendly. An error on my restaurant bill (partly my own fault, as I signed the bill!) was rectified without question at checkout. Breakfast was very good, with an "all you can eat" buffet, as well as cooked options. Evening meals were also of a good standard, although some dishes a touch on the salty side for our taste - it can always be added on the plate! House wines were decent and reasonably priced.

All in all, a brilliant break and the hotel can be highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Yvonne C, General Manager at Polurrian Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2014

Thank you for posting a review following your short stay at Polurrian. It is good to know that you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to welcoming you back at some time in the future. With thanks and good wishes, Yvonne and the Team.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mullion
Mullion Cove Hotel
16 mi away
Tregenna Castle Resort
Tregenna Castle Resort
#10 of 21 in St Ives

Been to Polurrian Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!