“5 Star Kids Club!”

Polurrian Bay Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mullion
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We were lucky enough to visit Polurrian Bay in November when the weather was truly appalling so we did not stray far from the hotel-which was perfectly fine because our son did not want to leave the kid's club! We expected a well laid out kid's club because Polurrian Bay is part of the Luxury Family Hotel group but our expectations were far exceeded. The staff had arranged a gluten free cooking class for our son and many other interesting activities that catered to his every desire.
This left us time to have drinks by the fire while reading our books and taking in the beautiful sea view. Total relaxation.
The rooms are small but nicely appointed with new, plush soft furnishings. Lovely blankets were found throughout the hotel that begged for snuggling. The library and game rooms were across the hall from one another and very well stocked.
I highly suggest for a long weekend during any time of the year.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Paula C, Assistant General Manager at Polurrian Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Hello ShannonCB
It is great to know how much you enjoyed your stay and I appreciate you taking the time to post a review. We tailor Den activities to suit the children attending so there was no way your son could miss out on baking - it's our most popular activity! The idea with the Den is that parents are able to chill out whilst the children are enteratined and I am glad you could take advantage.
I hope we will see you back for a return visit.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We had a great weekend with friends on a group booking. The hotel was brilliant, lovely atmosphere, excellent food and in particular, our evening meals were exceptional. All staff were very friendly and went beyond their duty to be helpful. We enjoyed the location, lovely views and coastal walking. Finally, the cream teas are a must!!!

Room Tip: Sea view rooms were an added bonus
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Paula C, Assistant General Manager at Polurrian Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Hello AMDevon
I am so pleased you enjoyed your weekend and particularly the cream teas! It is great when guests take the time to post reviews and we very much appreciate it.
Please come back soon before you suffer cream tea withdrawal symptoms!.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

We were booked in for 4 nights and looking forward to our quiet break after booking a "Quiet room with a view" We arrived and certainly the view was spectacular, however it soon became apparent that it was half term, unknown to us, and on booking, I had asked if many children would be staying that week and was told, only about 3 but we will try and make sure you are not near family rooms. That may have been a good opportunity for them to have told us it was half term. There were 30 children booked in and they continually ran up and down the corridors and banging doors non stop. We had 3 large families around us. The doors are poorly designed and as soon as anyone shuts/slams a door, it makes your own door rattle with the effect and also shook against the headboard of the bed which is very close to the door. After a miserable night, albeit in the very comfortable bed, we checked out and went somewhere else, where we had a delightful stay in Falmouth. Be warned... Not recommended for couples without kids. Hardly any room to store your luggage either in the very cheap and sparse furniture.

3  Thank Gina L

Hello Gina247
I am so sorry you felt the need to post this review. We fully understand your disappointment and I did discuss this at length with you on the day you left. As well as apologies I did say we would not charge anything for your stay or your cancelled nights but you offered to pay for breakfast. I am pleased that you subsequently found a hotel to suit your requirements.
Clearly a luxury family hotel will always have children and whilst we gained more bookings after you booked your room we did place you in a superior corner room where we believed noise would be minimised. Sadly this was not so.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

What a great improvement since our previous visit some 12 months previous, The building work has been completed where the previous small lounge is now many times bigger with panoramic views across the bay.
The dining room staff were most attentive with plenty of waiting staff on hand to take ones order, clear the table etc. There was no delay and the staff were so friendly. Well done 'Luke' with great local knowledge.
The breakfast menu consisted of everything you wish from fresh fruit, cereals to a full English.
Congratulations for such a great improvement in all aspects.

Room Tip: A 'sea view' is a must with such a view across Mounts Bay.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Paula C, Assistant General Manager at Polurrian Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

Hello ExeterGeorge
Thank you for taking the time to post another review.
I am so glad that you decided to visit again and were impressed with the improvements.
We're aiming for a 5 star review next time!
Hope to see you soon.
Best wishes

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We have just returned from a two night stay,our third visit in five years. We love and cannot fault the location, it's our go to area to get away for R & R, and the sea view rooms, following their recent refurb are very good.
My first irritation is the way the hotel is lit up into the early hours, the curtains had a bright halo around them until they were turned off, I particularly like Cornwall for the lack of light pollution, so this was annoying and I think unnecessary.
The food is very good and with enough choice to suit our tastes, the portions are just large enough to not be called small, but only just.
I agree with the previous post ref veggie bacon/sausage to cater for vegetarians, my next irritation was the coffee at breakfast, it was so weak my wife couldn't bare to drink it, we like our coffee and we like it strong, even when we asked for strong coffee we were still served a weak brew, its a small thing but for coffee drinkers the morning coffee at breakfast is very important.
The main irritation in the dining room was the service, but they can do it well, I'll explain. On Monday night our three courses took 1 hour 45 mins and the service was very poor, the entree was served at the same time as our main course!, the waiting staff could be seen chatting by the daft brightly covered furniture in the new conservatory room, all very poor.
But Tuesday night was completely different, fast efficient service that we couldn't fault!
We made use of the leisure center both days and were generally disappointed, my wife booked a two hour treatment and massage etc,but it was not that relaxing, even the lady giving the treatment apologised for the noise and how the environment isn't conducive to relaxing spa treatments, The problem, children running around, shouting and jumping/pushing each other into the pool, parental control was non existent. I was trying to swim lengths and had to dodge these children as they bombed into the pool, I looked at the parents and they were useless,the children completely ignored them, it would be easy to blame this on the locals who also use the pool, but the offending families were eating in the restaurant so I assume were guests. The hotel do not staff the desk by the pool all the time so the option to complain was not available.
This leads me on to my main irritation with the hotel, in my opinion, its trying to do two opposing things.
Its clearly aiming for the family market, the cinema idea is great, my kids would like the blue room (if we ever took them to the Polurrian), but that is unlikely as we go to the Polurrian for the peace quiet and relaxation that they also advertise they offer!
From our latest visit I struggle to see how they can do both, yes the pool has adult only periods, firstly when you are on holiday you don't want to plan your days to exact periods, especially when that period is 19.00hrs to 19.45 hrs!!!
It was also disappointing to be told the pool was unavailable to guests during certain times each day as the local swimming clubs use it, this should be clearly explained when you book.
The door slamming is a problem as a previous reviewer states and I would hazard a guess that it is probably the children who are running along the corridors and slamming the doors.
I have children, I am not anti children, but we wanted a quiet relaxing break, as advertised, that's why we left our children with their grandparents, but hhmmnnnn we didn't get it coz of other peoples children!.
Final irritation, the hotel allows dogs,which is fine, it's the owners who are the problem. We have a well trained collie, but I would not let her off the lead in the grounds let alone the hotel itself. One owner did both repeatedly and no-one said anything to him. I am not aware if the hotel has a policy for the dogs, if they do it wasn't enforced.

Summary, the hotel is looking the best we have ever seen it, although it does have unusual design elements, location is superb, service is hit and miss, relaxing?, not so much.
Will we return, not sure.

2  Thank Homer069

Hello Homer069
Thank you for posting your feedback which we really appreciate. I am sorry that this visit did not live up to your expectations.
We have checked the timings on the outside lighting which is left on until reasonably late for the benefit of the guests in our garden rooms which are accessed from outside the hotel. We were not aware that the lighting was annoying other hotel guests.
Your observations on restaurant service were very useful and I am sure you appreciate our aim is to always be as you experienced on the Tuesday night. We are working hard to ensure consistency of standards across the hotel to prevent such things happening. You will be pleased to know that vegetarian sausages are now always available.
You mention that you did not have the option to complain about the children in the pool but we always have a Duty Manager available to deal with complaints and these sort of incidents. The pool is not continuously manned but reception do try and keep a look out for and deal with any misbehaviour but please always tell us if there is something we should be aware of.
Similarly with dogs - we do allow dogs in corridors, the Snug and the top of Vista but they must be under control and I would certainly not expect dogs to be running loose in the hotel. I am sorry that we do not appear to have dealt with the loose dog ( and their owner) appropriately.
Clearly we are more family orientated than in previous years but we do have many couples that still visit and enjoy themselves. Whilst I cannot be sure when you stayed I think it is fair to say that we are busiest with children during the school holidays although we do attract families with pre school age children as well.
I hope that you will consider the positive aspects of your stay and will decide to visit again. I am sure she will see the improvements you require.

Paula
We do attract pe schoolers as well as school age children and

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Big thumbs up to Polurrian Bay Hotel who allowed us to change dates when we were snowed in in January. Our friends were booked into The Watergate Bay Hotel the same weekend and they wouldn't allow them to change so they had to risk the snow and drive over 4 hours so not to lose £200. We had a fantastic couple of nights at this hotel and were upgraded to a superior sea view room on arrival which was amazing and such a lovely surprise. The view was amazing especially with the lovely weather we had. All the staff are fabulous. Nothing is too much trouble and they are all very attentive. The breakfasts are lovely. The evening meals superb. It's a beautiful hotel inside and out. We will definately be going back.

Hello Somelikeithot29
I am so pleased you could reschedule your trip to coincide with the nice weather.
You certainly saw Cornwall at its best!
Looking forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Went for a 1 night stay on a travel zoo deal. £99 for dinner bed and breakfast. Lovely staff very friendly. Had a great sharing board to start which was fantastic, nice steak and a good pudding. Even gave us 20% off the wine. Very nice room with some sea views which we were not expecting. My girlfriend had a treatment as well (elmis) which apparently was very good. Not a great pool (small). Shame as this was the only flaw in a lovely stay. Great location. Nice walks nearby. We will go back!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Paula C, Asistant General Manager at Polurrian Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2013

Hello JohnL9
Thanks so much for your comments. It sounds like you both had a great stay and we are pleased that the special offer was such a success.
We hope to see you soon.
Best wishes

Paula

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mullion
Mullion Cove Hotel
#2 of 24 in Falmouth
Penmorvah Manor Hotel
Penmorvah Manor Hotel
#14 of 24 in Falmouth

Been to Polurrian Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!