“The Best View in Mevagissey!”
Review of Honeycombe House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mevagissey
Honeycombe House
Ranked #5 of 34 Mevagissey B&B and Inns
York, United Kingdom
“The Best View in Mevagissey!”
Reviewed April 11, 2012

This 19th century B&B is one in a million! Ideal location, caring owners, and the view overlooking the harbour while eating breakfast is an experience in itself. The only negative we experienced is that the walls are thin, so if you're a noisy traveller, you could very well risk upsetting other guests. Hats off to Ian and Val for making our stay an incredible experience, and for the best local bacon ever!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Carlton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2012

I came upon Honeycombe House by chance, while looking for other accommodation at short notice and exploring on Google Earth. Booking for the following 3 nights was easy. Ian was very courteous, friendly and helpful on the phone and took a nominal £45 deposit to secure the booking on both sides. Clear directions and instructions for parking were sent by email and off we set. Our room (Victoria) enjoyed one of the best and stunning views possible of Mevagissey harbour, village and surrounding coastline from the balcony (the binoulars were a nice touch!). Accommodation was clean, fresh and very comfortable and the house itself was charmingly presented. Breakfast was a highlight for both its excellence and the superb breakfast room views. We felt our hosts Ian and Val were always available but not intrusive - a great balance. Highly recommended, and we shall be making a point of going back.

Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 22, 2011

Another very enjoyable break at Honeycombe House. It is such a lovely place to stay, The room was spotless, breakfast was great and the owners Ian and Val made us feel very welcome as always (maybe this is one of the reasons we return year after year!) And this trip was made even more memorable as on arrival we were advised that the Mevagissey Christmas lights were being switched on that evening. So we wrapped up warm and joined in with all the festive cheer down at the Harbour - a big recommendation for anyone looking for a some festive fun early December next Year.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Goucestershire
Reviewed December 21, 2011

What a lovely weekend we had at Honeycombe House. Ian and Val are perfect hosts and made us feel very welcome. The room was spotless with lots of little extras which were appreciated. The Breakfast was excellent and the view from the breakfast room across the harbour is fantastic.
Such a good location and I will certainly be recommending Honeycombe House to my friends.

Room Tip: The rooms with the balconies are first class with outside seating
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed December 19, 2011

I can't fault the cleanliness or the breakfast at Honeycombe House. The room was spotless and the bed very comfortable. Yes, the bathroom was tiny and you had to sit sideways on the loo, but that's no big deal. The flush was noisy, but without a full house, not a problem. The toiletries were great! (Cotton wool balls specially apreciated!) Ian served generous breakfasts; my partner was delighted with the well-cooked sausages (yes, we did have to request them the night before!) and crispy bacon; I was impressed by the range of fresh and dried fruit.

And of course, the view (we had "Albert" room, on the corner) is second to none.

So why was it an uncomfortable experience on the whole and why would I not return, nor recommend Honeycombe?

First, it was lucky I rang to let them know we'd be arriving late, because they had no trace of our booking. Ian said the lady I spoke to first time couldn't possibly have been Val, because "we always take a deposit", whereas the person I'd booked with had told me not to worry about it, because they were never busy in mid-December (a friendly and trusting attitude I found attractive!) In discussing what might have happened, then and on the morning we left, he must have mentioned twenty times that We Always Take A Deposit.. It got to sound like an obsession and didn't cut it as a substitute for "I'm sorry we had no booking for you.." especially since we were handing over our plastic at the time and clearly not about to do a runner.. It didn't help that when I called about our arrival time and discovered we had no booking, I was forced into haggling about the price for the room.. That in itself made me uneasy.

It didn't matter whose was the error. The mix-up could have been dismissed and a good time had by all. But it wasn't.

But what really made us feel unwelcome was having a member of Ian's family (which lives "over the shop") bang so loudly on our ceiling on our first night that at first we wondered if some heavy furniture had fallen over. The second time it happened, we realised it was a protest about noise. Yes, it was close on midnight. But : Did we have the TV or the radio on loud? Were we playing loud music? Were we having a party? (as only two wild 50-somethings can!)

No: We were talking.

From then on, we felt uncomfortable and unwelcome.

I raised the banging with Ian when we left. He said "sound carries in old buildings" and he had told his family to "knock" on the floor if someone is being noisy. But we were the only guests and it was the last weekend they were open. Could they not have found some earplugs or gritted their teeth, for a couple of nights? I just don't think you can tell your paying guests not to talk after 10! That almighty hammering on the ceiling actually alarmed us; that is not the way to make people feel welcome.

(On the second evening, there were teenagers rushing about squealing until lateish; we didn't mind, but did find it rather rich, given the night before..)

There were other, smaller things which made me feel awkward.. When I confessed that we'd got mud from a walk on one of the flannels, rather than dismiss it graciously, Ian's response was "That probably won't come out. I'll probably have to throw it away.".. WAY to make your guests feel at home! I could mention others, but all in all..

A strange place!

Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Annith
Honeycombehouse, Owner at Honeycombe House, responded to this review, December 20, 2011
This guest rang me on her day of arrival to let me know her arrival time, but as she pointed out in her review, we had no record of her booking, and we were in fact closed for the season. She was quite insistent that she had booked with us several weeks previously, for which I apologised several times that we had no trace of a booking, and tried to explain that we ask for a deposit with a booking, for no other reason than to try and explain to her that she had not in fact booked with us. She had no written confirmation either. She still wanted to stay with us, so I agreed to open for the weekend to try and make amends for the situation. I told her the tariff for the two nights and the only haggling about price came from her,as she wanted to pay considerably less, to which I agreed under the circumstances! I have subsequently made enquiries and discovered that she did book with another B&B in the village!
I am very sorry that she was made to feel unwelcome staying with with us, as at no time did we indicate that guests cannot talk after 10.00 p.m! We want our guests to enjoy their stay, and we normally seem to hit the mark judging by the number of recommendations and repeat bookings that we get. On this occasion, this particular guest and her partner talked and laughed so loudly that they kept us all awake on the top floor from 10.30 p.m onwards, and we did indeed grin and bear the noise until 12.15, at which point we were all fed up and hoped to go to sleep! A member of my family did bang on the floor, for no other reason than to hopefully point out the excessive noise without embarrassing them face to face. If other guests had been staying, I think there would have been banging on the walls as well!
With reference to the dirty flannel, I told her not to worry and that if it was too dirty, it might not come clean, and it could be thrown away, no problem! When we cleaned the room, she had clearly used the flannel to clean the mud from her walking boots as it was black!
All in all, I wish that I had not bothered to help her out on this occasion.
Reviewed November 22, 2011

My husband, son, sister and I stayed with Ian and Val for five nights in October. Their Honeycombe House was the perfect place to spend our visit. It is beautifully situated with stunning views of the harbor and surrounding countryside, easy access to the Southwest Coast Pathway and is a short walk to the village. The House itself is kept spic and span, and has a warm, inviting atmosphere. Val and Ian looked after our every need and even a few wants. We look forward to our next visit to Mevagissey and Honeycombe House.
Betty Garrett

• Stayed October 2011
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2011

stayed here for our honeymoon last year,going back next week for my 40th,can,t wait! an amazing place to locate!!!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mevagissey
Mevagissey Bay Hotel
#4 of 34 in Mevagissey
Pebble House Guesthouse
Pebble House Guesthouse
#2 of 34 in Mevagissey

Been to Honeycombe House? Share your experiences!