“good stay....perfect if you want to escape cooking and cleaning up!”

Bedruthan Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Mawgan Porth
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
“good stay....perfect if you want to escape cooking and cleaning up!”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

just read JohnAT899 and was going to be harsh on Bedruthen...but think he was a tad over stern!

It's a very pricey hotel aimed at families with young children (probably not great if your kids are over 12) It is brilliant if you want a break where young children are happy and you can eat in peace in the evening knowing that they are safe (they offer a baby listening service in the evening so kids can go to bed and you can go and have a drink in the bar/eat in the restaurant).

There is a soft play, kids club, lovely swimming pool and spa, craft activities, great kids tea served early evening and good evening entertainments for the kids 6 - 7pm. Yes it is a bit like a sloany upmarket Butlins! But if you can't face self catering for a few days and want a bit of luxury and some friends for the kids so that you can sit and chill and ooh maybe read a page or two of your book it is a good break.

Having said that. We went this half term and it was packed. You had to book half hour sessions at the pool - we coped, but it meant swimming was very stressy. With a 2 and 4 year old, as you spend more time getting changed, showering, drying and changing than swimming! The food was good in the cafe, but disappointing in the red herring restaurant downstairs and overpriced. They offer a food allowance scheme now that you can pay for in advance, but they don't carry the amounts over, so if you don't spend your money one night...it's gone!! Service is very friendly in the cafe and herring, but agree with other reviewers rather erratic. They do seem to forget you a bit. I did think the breakfasts were delicious - but agree the pancakes are a bit of a rip off and looked disgusting!

The soft play is big and great for the kids and our children went one afternoon to the kids club which they enjoyed. The playground and trampoline outside are really good too. The beach is a hop and a skip away and the decor is gorgeous, modern, chic, sumptuous (but you pay for it in food prices and room rates). The Eden project isn't far, nor is Padstow where you can cycle the camel trail and there's a low key theme park Crealy's also nearby.

We stayed in connecting rooms joined by a door which we kept open. A little bit on the small side, but we spent hardly any time in the actual room and much better than the integral room we used before which had a blind pulley to separate kids from adults section. Our friends had a connecting room like ours and theirs interestingly had new decor and felt much larger due to white paint, brighter colour scheme. Only other downside is that you can't have a sea view with these adjoining rooms...but as we were hardly there didn't really matter. Brilliantly - they deliver fresh milk each day to your room. The rooms were warm, but I just turned off the heated towel rail in the bathroom and opened a window and we were all fine....

The staff are ALL delightful and amazing. Really good service from everyone.

Car park was packed - but they were at 99% capacity, so I guess it was bound to be a bit of a squeeze with extra staff trying to park too.

I will go again if our friends ask us to go with them as it is a fab place to go with another family. Kids can play together and you have some company for dining etc.

Room Tip: ask for new decor! interconnecting better for good sleep rather than integral family suites (in my o...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Slovak first
London
Reviewed November 1, 2013

We went this week and the hotel was full. The staff, in the main, were friendly, but seemed overworked and made a few errors with orders.The car park was full to bursting point, mainly with recent-year 4WD vehicles.
The bedrooms are very hot, even with heating off and both windows open. There is no a/c. We paid more than £600 for a two-day stay (for a family of four) which seemed far too much for what we got. I have received much, much better service in other hotels for that price. It's rather like an upmarket Butlin's: more like a holiday camp than a hotel.
If you're travelling without children, the owners of this hotel also own the Scarlet, in the same village, which I would strongly recommend. But if you want a family break with older children I would suggest you go to nearby Padstow. There were lots of activities at the Bedruthan for small children, but nothing I could see that was aimed at older kids (mine are 15 and 12). There seemed to me to be a number of rules and restrictions of the kind that I would prefer to get away from on a holiday (e.g. no children in the bar, a complicated restaurant booking procedure) and a lack of clarity from staff concerning said rules, meaning that there was an orientation period required. The location, overlooking the bay, is lovely.

2 Thank JohnAT899
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We have just returned after having a week at the Bedruthan Steps at Mawgan Porth. The location is fantastic and this is what you are paying for. The room was small and had no air conditioning. When we opened the doors to get some air we were inundated with flying Daddy Long-leg spiders. Needless to say we got no sleep the first couple of nights as we did not want to open the doors. After giving feedback we were moved to another room which was bigger but had a damp smell this was obviously due to the lack of ventilation. On arrival we were greeted with a smell from a bin that smelt like it had a dirty nappy in it. The new room was also located at the bottom level with no lift access so we lugged our international suitcases up and down two levels. The staff were very nice and very friendly. This along with the location is what you are paying for. Compared to international standards this hotel was not a 4 star and more like 3 star.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alan L
Warwickshire, UK
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We chose Bedruthan Hotel and Spa after a recommendation through Twitter as I was looking for a baby friendly hotel, with leisure facilities near to the sea in Cornwall - it ticked all of those boxes! This was our first break away with our 10 week old baby and I for one was desperate for a rest or just a break from the norm.
The reservation process (I inquired via email and made the booking over the telephone) was flawless, the staff are very helpful and gave us all available options.
We selected the flexible dining package on the first night (non sea view) @ £180 and B&B the 2nd night @ £135.

We received a great welcome, the reception team are all genuinely friendly and very helpful.
Our room overlooked the car park but I begrudged spending an extra £40 per night for a sea view when we didn't expect to be in there for much of the time.

The room was bright, clean with a lovely super king bed and lots of space

Food and drink wise we had a coffee in the Ballroom when we arrived and dinner in the Wild Cafe on the first night (the family dining area) plus breakfast both mornings. The restaurant service is rather disorganised but still friendly. I chose from the set menu and both my main course and chosen desert had run out by 8.30pm, even though we had booked.
Breakfast is a buffet option and although there is a lot of choice, the service again was a bit hit and miss and I don't understand why you have to pay extra for such luxuries as pancakes or scrambled eggs with salmon.

Overall we enjoyed our stay and would possibly return when our kids are older as it is perfect for families.

To summarise:
Good points: Excellent reservation and reception teams, great amenities, lovely atmosphere, perfect location for exploring Cornwall, large bedroom, both clean and comfortable, fridge in the room with fresh milk was a welcome touch.

Not so good points: Room was far too warm for us and I was reluctant to open the window as it was right above the baby's cot, could do with a night light or dimmer switch as it was difficult to get the baby to sleep whilst still seeing what I was doing, the coffee we were served in the restaurant doesn't taste great and the service as mentioned was a little slow and dis-organised but not terrible.

Overall, it is a lovely hotel - perfect for families but if you are after a quiet break I would pick their sister hotel round the corner The Scarlet

Room Tip: I would say that the sea view rooms are quieter (though did not stay in one), our room over the car...
essex
Reviewed October 24, 2013

My sister and I booked a twin room and added spa treatments. Throughout our stay, the service was efficient, friendly and unobtrusive. I stayed at another hotel in St. Ives during the summer, which was a 'white tie and tails' experience but overall much prefer Bed Steps. The staff make you feel that nothing is too much trouble, the home recipe jams, muesli, and granola are far superior to the bought in variety served at breakfast in St. Ives and the food in The Herring is every bit as as good as 'St. Rick's of Padstow!' Altogether a far more chilled, relaxed experience.

Room Tip: A sea view room is worth every extra penny, as the non-sea view face the car park
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Manchester
Reviewed October 21, 2013

The short version: Great views, good spa and pool, good kids activities. Mixed service levels, faulty accommodation and poor value for money.

The very long version.

We stayed for a week at the Bedruthan Steps Hotel using it for relaxation and as a base for exploring some of the attractions of Cornwall. We're a couple with a 15mo toddler. Although we had a nice holiday in all, I've come away somewhat underwhelmed by the hotel and with a sizeable hole in my pocket that I'm now questioning!

The hotel itself is in a nice spot overlooking a lovely bay and beach. The views from the cafe and front-facing rooms are amazing - we had some sunny days looking at calm blue waters and a couple of rough days watching the waves crash onto the beach - great! Views from some rooms can be obstructed slightly by wire fencing etc so bare that in mind.

I would echo what other reviewers have said about the hotel building itself; although you could spin it as a 70s masterpiece it is in fact a bit dated and could do with some TLC in places. The layout is also not ideal - much of the building is single storey and 'sprawls' down the hill face via corridor after corridor. For example, walking from reception to the spa/pool will take you 2 or 3 minutes, from an upstairs room or apartment maybe a minute longer. Factor small kids into that and it's a mission!

The spa and pool area is nice. It's been done in a basic way with no fancy decor or moody lighting and is light and airy. In the spa there are 6 or 7 loungers to relax on whilst taking in the views or having a read. Plus a large jacuzzi and the usual spa rooms like sauna, steam etc. I think it could be improved by providing towels and dressing gowns at the Spa personally. I realise this might not be very eco-friendly but again, it can be a mission carrying this stuff from the room if you don't choose to wear it from you room. On treatments, my wife had a 75 min facial and head massage and said it was amazing.

There is a gym but it's pretty small and when I tried to get to the only running machine it was always in use.

Next the accommodation - we stayed in an apartment, which was expensive but I wanted to make it special for my wife's birthday and it also gave us a separate room for little one. We enjoyed the space it afforded us but I was disappointed with quite a few things about the apartments which would make me avoid them in the future.

1. The kids room in our apartment (number 8) smelt damp.
2. We often found insects in the rooms - earwigs, silverfish and woodlice.
3. Maybe an oversight but there was no iron or board in the room on arrival.
4. No room safe.
5. No slippers!
6. Toiletries were some kind of eco soap bars. A personal thing but I'd prefer nicer liquid ones.
7. View was slightly obscured by fencing and the kids wire slide.
8. 'Sticking' doors into the bathroom.
9. Access (see below)
10. Child listening appropriateness (see below).
11. No menus for room service (had to ask, daily)
12. Quality of towels and robes is not great, the robes especially.
13. No aircon may be an issue if you stay in the summer.

Quite a list!

On access, the apartments are separate from the main hotel, which they did tell me on booking. I didn't delve too much into this and I think envisaged a quick walk, maybe through a covered walkway, to the hotel. Instead, you'll find yourself walking up a hill at the side of the hotel past the garage/delivery area which takes around a minute door to door. Maybe that doesn't sound too bad but on a blustery, rainy October day will you be in your spa gown?

The hotel also offer a child listening service which appealed to us; we were really looking forward to dining out together no matter how brief. However, we didn't feel confident with the systems in place and ended up staying in every night with room service! I'll try to explain. The service has a couple of features - you can engage an intercom that reception will listen in on for any noise. If noise persisted you get paged.. Whilst this may sound ok to some, I think I would have preferred dedicated listening staff. The other safety/security feature is a door alarm you can engage when leaving the room. According to the instructions, if the sensor is triggered and not disabled within 30 seconds reception will be alerted. Firstly, I think 30 seconds is a very long time for an intruder to have access to your room. Secondly, I'm no expert but the system seemed to be some sort of phone dialer/alerter - what happens if the plug is pulled? In addition to these issues, I just don't think I'd considered (or understood) how separate the apartments were from the hotel. When we stayed they were mainly empty - would you leave your child alone in a separate building in this scenario? I'm not sure I'd do it in the hotel either since reception is hidden away and not immediately on the main entry door.

All other things related to kids at the hotel I must say are very good. The creche facilities are excellent and the staff in there were very good. The soft play room is awesome, I had a great time in there! There also looked like some good outdoor play stuff too but given the time of year and age of our child we didn't use it. I would also like to say that most staff were very engaging and pleasant to out toddler, especially at meal times.

Meals and food for kids at the hotel is very good indeed. They are completely catered for - a range of foods, healthy (and unhealthy) buffet nibbles, bibs, cups, cutlery - you name it. Basically, just turn up with them without any of the usual kit and you'll be ok. Childrens tea time between 4-6 is a great idea - the cafe is just taken up by the kids - choose to have some buffet nibbles and/or a hot meal. We were regulars.

For adults, I would say the food is also very good. As I mentioned before we didn't go to dinner in the Cafe or the Herring so I can't comment on the atmosphere but the food we got from the cafe as room service was very good. We didn't try the Herring, it felt too posh/inappropriate for room service! Breakfast was the star for me though. Great ingredients cooked really well; one of the best hotel breakfasts I've had.

Service levels at the hotel I found mixed. Most staff were very good and the occasional one or two were average. However I did feel (like some other reviewers) that customers were not always considered as much as they should be. Some examples - performing maintenance on the apartment whilst we were in it. Ok, so maybe we're out of main season in October but I don't expect (a) someone to be painting outside the patio window and (b) someone 'resetting' the lock on the apartment door, opening it whilst we were in there unannounced. I also pre-ordered flowers and a cake for my wifes birthday as a suprise before we arrived at the hotel. Once we were there I confirmed the arrangements and had to adjust some mistakes on what i had specified. On the day I did get the floweres but the cake didn't arrive as I had requested. I complained the next day and got an apology (and a free cake since it had been made, just not delivered) but it's still an annoyance and not what I expected given the price of the stay.

In summary I think if you can eliminate some of the mistakes/assumptions I made and hopefully not experience some of the issues we had ,you may have a pleasant stay. I do think though that as an experience it's a little over-hyped and the quality of the hotel is nowhere near the price tag.

Room Tip: If you want to be close to the pool/spa choose a villa suite. Consider the apartments carefully - th...
1 Thank TravelTidge
Reviewed October 17, 2013

The hotel is set in a nice location with good views. The spa is well equipped and is the perfect place to watch the sun set over the sea. There are a lot activities for children.

We unfortunately were very disappointed with our stay. Dinner in the Wild Cafe was poor quality and breakfast was certainly not 4* - I was surprised to have to pay extra (beyond our B&B rate) for some basic options such as salmon and pancakes. The hotel atmosphere is dreary, dated and customer service isn't a priority. Our room was stuffy and smelt damp. Whilst the spa was lovely, we were surprised not to be given robes to make visiting it more convenient. Wifi worked intermittently. We definitely got the impression that the hotel is trying to cut it's costs at the expense of customer experience.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,501 reviews

Been to Bedruthan Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!