“Looking forward to our next stay already”

Bedruthan Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Mawgan Porth
Bath, United Kingdom
“Looking forward to our next stay already”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed at Bedruthan for 3 nights in September for a relaxing break. We were really really impressed by this hotel - everything about it was well thought out and considered and made for the perfect break. Staff were all friendly and helpful.

The food in both the Wild Cafe and the Herring restaurant was wonderful (and we are big foodies), the room had a beautiful sea view and was modern, spacious and very comfortable.
Our favourite aspect was definitely the spa. having visited a number around the country we were truly impressed by the range of facilities and the reasonably priced treatments. There is nothing like relaxing in the large jacuzzi bath with the view of the beach !

Another great aspect was the way the hotel caters for both couples and families and provides 'adult spaces'. We don't have children and so this was certainly appreciated.

One last thing is NOT to be put off by the outside (as I have read in other reviews) as when I walked in I was really impressed by the fun and imaginative decor of the hotel - really contemporary.

This hotel is also well located for a coastal path walk round to Bedruthan Steps, or as far as you wish, and the walk is fairly easy along the path.

What a beautiful place and we shall surely return soon.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a sea view room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank McWesters
JanieWhite, Manager at Bedruthan Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Thank you very much for writing such a lovely review. It’s so nice to hear that you had a nice break and that you were able to enjoy both of our restaurants and the spa facilities to help you unwind while you were with us. The hydro pool and the sea views are definitely relaxing, an easy way to beat the winter blues. We try very hard to be able to offer a relaxing break for families and couples so it is great to hear that we had that balance for you so that you could enjoy your Bedruthan experience. I hope it is not too long until we see you again.
Janie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Slovak first
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed for four days, joined by our daughter, son-in-law and 15 month old granddaughter for some of the time; the hotel is lovely, with interesting decor and lots of space; some areas are completely child-friendly with lots to do for all ages, but there are areas for adults only to relax and enjoy some quiet. We used a baby-sitter on one night, which was fine, but also used the baby-listening service which is free and great if your baby settles well.
We ate in both restaurants and were impressed by the food; the children's area of the Wild Cafe is relaxed and staff are helpful and not fazed by messy toddlers chucking food on the floor! The food in the Herring was really good and service cheerful and friendly.
We look forward to returning for family holidays in the future.

Room Tip: Sea view is stunning, though the rooms can be hot if really sunny - but worth it for the view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your kind review, I’m so pleased to hear that you and your family had a nice time. We feel that Bedruthan is a great place for families to spend time together and we feel that we have the right balance between family fun and adult relaxation. Our main aim is to help create great memories for guests of all ages that can be remembered for years to come. I’m glad the enjoyed both our restaurants, they are new this year and we feel that they add a great new flexibility to dining at the hotel from laid back family dining to a more sophisticated experience in The Herring. We look forward to welcoming you all back to the hotel soon.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

I was given the name of this hotel for a one night stay near Newquay and when I arrived and saw the view I knew this was a Great location. Not too close to any restaurants so decided to use the Herring Restaurant in the hotel. The food was amazing and the service by the staff was the same, breakfast was buffet but still very good, so all in all Wonderful Food. Throughout the stay the staff in reception, bar and restuarant were very helpful and the majority of staff you bump into always have a good day for you, so definitely Lovely staff. Unfortunately that only leaves the room. Floor to ceiling windows but looks as though the double glazed units has blown so not too good a view, along with a brocken window which I had to open the other to close. The rest of the room was great, old tv but had enough channels for late evening or early morning viewing, enough cupboards and internet connect, wifi due in rooms next year. So not too bad until I tried to shower the next morning and the shower didn't work. Tried everything then realised I was running out of time so had to have a quick wash instead, so only bad point was that the Room was Poor.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Mark_O_4310
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the hotel. I’m really pleased to hear that overall you had a nice time with us and that you enjoyed the food and service within the Herring restaurant. We work really hard to make sure that we recruit people who really want to be part of the Bedruthan team as we know this is what makes a real difference to our guests stay so it’s really nice to hear that they have delivered great service for you throughout your stay. I will make sure that I pass this feedback onto them as it is always nice to be able to share with them when they have made a difference. I’m sorry to hear that our rooms didn’t meet your expectation and I thank you for providing us the feedback about where we could improve the rooms. We are continually working on refurbishing our hotel and I will make sure that your feedback is looked into so that we can keep our rooms and facilities in the best possible condition. I do hope that despite this we will be able to welcome you back again soon.
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

Great location, and superb for the kids. So much to do on and off campus, whatever the weather, and the food was very good indeed. Would we go back? Yes certainly! Just what Cornwall needs - a well run, reasonably priced hotel with facilities and access to a fantastic beach.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank GBR2426
Thanks for your review of the hotel, I’m really pleased that you had a nice time with us. We are very lucky with our location and your right there are things to do here no matter what the Cornish weather decides to do! I hope we can see you again soon.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

Recommended by many friends who have returned time and time again. We stayed for a week in a sea-view villa. The room had a king-size bed and bunk bed for our 3 year-old daughter which she loved. This is a hotel where the children can play and the parents can relax. Eva had a "best friend" within the hour! There are many activities for the children (I was upset at being too old for the laser tag held in the hotel grounds). The children's entertainment post children's tea and a jungle gym were a god-send in the evening to burn off the final energy reserves to allow us to escape for a dinner for two in the Herring restaurant or Wild Cafe (both excellent). Swimming pool and spa were good for a family hotel. The nearby beach was stunning - if you are a fan of the Cornish Atlantic coast you will not be disappointed. There are also many great beaches within a quick drive (Fistral, Lusty Glaze, Watergate Bay) and a short drive up the road is Padstow for the obligatory visit to contribute to Rick Stein's pension fund. Not a hotel for a romantic weekend for two and not uber-luxury but if you are a busy parent this will keep you and your family happy. Celebrity spot this time was Gareth Malone at children's tea. Service in the Wild Cafe over breakfast and children's tea is erratic - you need to be patient and visible in equal measures but service at dinner in the Wild Cafe and Herring was very good.

Room Tip: Sea view villas are actually just big rooms with a divider between the main bed and the children'...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank jonathanredfern
JanieWhite, Manager at Bedruthan Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay at the hotel, I’m really pleased to hear that you had a nice time and that you were able to enjoy the balance we create between parents relaxation and family fun. We are so lucky with our location and you are right there are loads of really great beaches and places to visit within really easy reach. It really sounds like you made the most of our different restaurant areas, outside of the main school holidays these are a real bonus for our adult guests as you genuinely get a choice about where to dine. I will make sure we review your comments about erratic service as consistency is certainly something that we are working really hard on. I really hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel really soon.
South-West-UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

We're regular visitors to Bedruthen having visited the hotel annually for the last 3 years.

We've enjoyed our visits on each occasion, but our latest trip demonstrated that the hotel has raised its game from both a service and food perspective. The Herring restaurant is particularly good, serving meals that suggest Michellin star ambitions exist within the kitchen. I'm struggling to reconcile the previous reviewer's comments on the service at The Herring with our own which could not have been more different.

Thoroughly recommended if you're looking for a relaxing break with the children and great food / wine.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your review of the hotel, I am so glad to hear that you had a nice time with us and that you enjoyed the changes we have made to the food and beverage department. I will make sure the Herring team know how much you enjoyed their food as it’s always nice to be able to give great feedback to them. I hope that we can welcome you back again soon.
Barnsley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

The staff were very helpful, though the rooms looked a little tired, however well appointed with lovely sea views.

The food was a different matter altogether. After making a reservation on a dinner bed and breakfast package we were then informed shortly prior to arrival that a food allowance system had been introduced where each person was allocated £30 a day which was to provide either a two course meal in the Herring restaurant or a three course meal in the Wild Cafe. When we questioned this we were informed that it was to give people more flexibility in their dining choices.We were, however, then allowed a three cxourse evening meal in both restaurants which is what he had originally paid for. We found the flexible dining arrangement at best annoying and at worst silly, as it felt as if we were totalling up the bill as we went along.

We had our first meal in the Red Herring and both thought it was poor both in substance and portion size and certainly not worth £30 each. We still felt hungry upon leaving.

From then on we dined in the Wild cafe which is just what it says, a 'cafe'. Although the portion size was better the main courses were poor and repetetive each evening and in this restaurant if you required vegatables or potatoes you had to order them separately as a side order. On at least two evenings we resorted to pizza with a side order of chips due to the poor choice on the menu or extras board. This is not what we would expect from a 4 star hotel on a dinner bed and breakfast basis. There were no tablecloths or other basic refinements which you would expect in a four star hotel.

Breakfasts were fine with plenty to choose from on a self serve basis and the spa facilities were excellent.

In our opinion, having paid for a four star hotel, we were very disappointed in the tired looking rooms and poor quality dining.

Room Tip: always book a sea view room, never one over looking the car park.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 15tim
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience of the hotel. I am sorry to hear that the new flexible dining system didn’t work for you. When we introduced the new restaurants we wanted to make sure that all of our guests had the choice to dine in either restaurant and if you didn’t want a full 2 or 3 course dinner then you would be able to use the allowance for lunch and snacks as well. It really wasn’t meant to make guests feel that they had to keep tabs on what they were spending. The allowance was set knowing that it would cover a 3 course dinner with bread and coffee in the Wild Café and a 2 course dinner in the Herring, so if you only wanted the more traditional hotel dining set up you could be reassured that this was possible. Our restaurants have been updated to be in-keeping with the style and atmosphere of the rest of the hotel and we have removed some elements of the more formal dining experience like table cloths at the request of guest feedback to develop a more relaxed but quality place to eat, which is the Wild Café and a more adult and sophisticated experience which is what we feel The Herring represents, It feels that this didn’t suit your needs and I am sorry to hear that, please be assured that your feedback about the quality and value of both our restaurants have been passed onto the management team as we are committed to using all the feedback we receive constructively to improve the Bedruthan experience. If you would like to discuss your restaurant experience in more detail then we would appreciate the opportunity to do that and if you contact me at jwhite@bedruthan.com I will be able to help.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mawgan Porth
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,487 reviews

Been to Bedruthan Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!