“Lovely, relaxing holiday”

The Park, Cornwall
Warwickshire
“Lovely, relaxing holiday”
Reviewed September 9, 2010

We stayed at the park for 7 nights in August in a 2 bedroom cottage. The drive was long (from the Midlands) but once there we were thrilled with the park, location and accommodation. It also helped that we had glorious sunshine all week! The reception and staff were friendly and helpful and we were shown to our accommodation and around it immediately upon arrival. There was milk, tea and coffee provided which was a nice touch. After that we were left alone but knew there was someone to call on if needed. The cottage was spacious with lovely bedrooms, a bathroom and an en-suite, and open plan lounge/kitchen/diner. There were two flat screen TVs and bare floors throughout which helped cleaning. My only criticism was the lounge furniture which, although perfectly adequate, was not very comfortable. However, there were some nice touches, such as a selection of books and board games in the cottage and a DVD library at reception which you can access daily and borrow when you like free of charge. All cleaning products were supplied, as was a dishwasher, and the information book said to let staff know if you needed more products. On the last but one day I asked for some more dishwasher tablets and was told I should buy my own. Not having a dishwasher at home I said it would be a waste of money to purchase a box of them from the village shop, so I was begrudgingly given some. This was the only time however that I felt staff were unhelpful. The park itself is lovely, with a great outdoor pool which was warm and open from 9 till 7.30 daily. There is an indoor pool being built (open October 2010) which will be a great addition, especially in the bad weather. There were workmen there for most of our holiday but they didn't disrupt us at all. There is also a good trampoline and swing area for children and plenty of toys for younger children. You can also do your laundry free of charge if you don't have facilities in your accommodation. The village and beach are lovely and convenient, only a few minutes walk away, with lots of different places to eat out if you want to. We sampled all of these, the pub, chippy, pizza takeaway and 'Fire' bistro. They were all good, especially the pub and bistro, and all family friendly. There is also a village store for milk, bread etc but this is a little pricy. There are supermarkets at nearby towns but you need to drive to them. Mawgan Porth is convenient for Newquay and Padstow, which are only a few miles away, and we also visited Tintagel which was fantastic and about 45 minutes drive away. The park prides itself on being eco-friendly and you are encouraged to recycle for which facilities are provided. There is also a vegetable patch which we didn't use but I understand you can pick your own from there. All in all we had a great time. Be aware that your mobile phone probably won't have a signal (there is a public phone box on site). The indoor pool will be a great addition and looks larger than the outdoor pool. We will definitely visit again if we go to Cornwall. I think we found a lovely gem, out of the way of the busy seaside areas but near enough to visit them if you wish. We liked Dairyland Farm Park ( near Newquay), Tintagel, Padstow boat rides (to see the seals) and the Eden Project (St Austell, about 40 mins drive).

2 Thank WarwickshireAllstar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2010

We had a fantastic time at The Park! This was our first stay in a yurt in Cornwall and we weren't disappointed. The yurt was incredibly well furnished, the separate kitchen had all the conveniences one could wish for and the bathrooms were lovely. The children loved the outdoor pool and of course we were also within strolling distance of Mawgan Porth beach.

The staff at the park were very helpful, friendly and informative about local attractions and things to do in poorer weather conditions. The yurt village has a hot tub, a communal yurt with massive TV and a docking station for an ipod, there were various fire pits for guests to use and an outdoor wood burning oven.

This was definitely a 'glamping' holiday and would probably make an excellent place for a larger group to holiday together. Three of the yurts were booked when we stayed, we seemed to share the facilities pretty well and we enjoyed the opportunity to be sociable with the other guests.

The yurt village seems to be incredibly well thought out, we loved the sense of space, views of the countryside and the sound of the sea lulling us to sleep!

1 Thank NorthernBetty
Poulton Le Fylde, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2010

Having visited The Park the previous year with our family of seven, we were delighted that Kerry and the team were able to accommodate us again this year, along with another thirteen members of the family!!
The Park is ideally situated within easy walk of one of Britain's most beautiful coastlines, and yet has a wonderful country feel to it. If you decide to wander inland, several walks will lead you to idyllic villages and pubs, where you can taste a little of what the locals have to offer.
Accommodation on the park is of extremely high quality. Last year we stayed in a lodge named "Valley View" which we absolutely loved. So it was with a little trepidation that we decided to try something larger this year. We needn't have worried at all! "Trewynn" is a five bedroom double storey lodge that exceeds all expectations. Completed the day before we arrived, we felt quite honoured to be the first ever guests to sample what can only be described as a house of the highest standard! The dedicated team at The Park had put together something really spectacular. From the moment you entered it was obvious that every tiny detail had been thought of, from the beautifully tasteful but sumptuous decor, to the more high tech elements like the surround sound 'cinema' area, and blue-ray players in every room. Four beautiful bedrooms, two with en-suite, and a separate bathroom await you at ground level, all accessed from an extremely spacious hall. Upstairs, the open plan layout, complete with living area, dining area and superbly appointed kitchen suited our large family gathering down to the ground. The other members of the family staying in smaller (but equally tasteful) accommodation in The Park were able to join us for meals and gatherings throughout our stay, and there was ample room for twenty!! The fifth bedroom, again en-suite, in it's own private area on the first floor, was outstanding. Again attention to detail had to be admired. All the family were taken aback at how beautiful the whole place was!! To top it all off, we toasted Kerry et al with a glass of champagne whilst we gazed at the stars from our steaming hot tub that first evening, still in awe of where we were!!
The verdict: I completely and whole-heartedly recommend this beautiful accommodation, in fact I URGE you all to experience it! It is ideally situated in beautiful surroundings, the Park itself has indoor and outdoor pools, cool and very different children's areas, and is an expanding business run by a family who clearly really enjoy putting everything into making their client's experiences very, very special.

1 Thank IanHooper
Dorset
Reviewed August 15, 2010

We booked a 2-week holiday at "The Park" and expected the accommodation, facilities and service to be of a high level after paying top rates and reading the information online and brochures.

Initially on booking we were asked for more money than the accommodation was advertised at on their website. We were told that the price on their website was incorrect. Eventually, after an exchange of several emails the reservations staff agreed to honour the published price.

The first Yurt was advertised as accommodating 2/3, it was very cramped and you had to duck your head enter to avoid banging it on the low door entrance. The website accommodation description has since been changed to 2 persons plus cot in reaction to several complaints.

The furnishings were "shabby chic" old furniture put together to create a certain style.... The communal areas on arrival were fairly clean: the toilets/showers/kitchen/clay oven cooking area. But after a few days the communal shower/toilet areas became very dirty, sandy and damp.

There isn't any privacy in the areas outside your Yurt to relax. You really get to know your communal guests when waiting to use the showers/toilets in the rain or use the dining table/cook on the same hob at mealtimes.

When politely advising the cleaners that the communal toilets had no toilet paper left in them one day and asking if they were going to be cleaned, pointing out that they were wet and dirty/sandy, we were surprised by their conversation and responses. The cleaning staff replied informing us that we should be providing our own toilet paper in the communal toilets and using our bath mats on the wet dirty floors. This was their response after they lay swinging in the hammock outside our yurt, sunbathing on the lawned area chatting openly about whether or not to bother cleaning the toilet/shower areas at all as "no one would know better if they didn't bother doing it".

Several days into our first week my children’s backs were covered in large red sore lumps and my youngest child’s breathing became very wheezy, he coughed continually at night when lying on the bed. We visited a local Doctor who asked where we were staying as she had seen several similar skin conditions that day. The Doctor advised the rash was in her opinion due to biting lice and fleas, which were likely to be present in the area my sons were sleeping/lying on due to the positioning of the bites on their backs. I proceeded to use the antihistamine - Piriton and Steroid Inhalers advised by the Doctor. The beds/mattresses did not have proper protectors on and on mentioning my Sons condition to the reception staff I was told the owner did not like the full mattress protectors as she that they were uncomfortable to sleep on!

The medication recommended by the Doctor made my son drowsy and unfortunately during the night he was unwell and the mattress became wet. I immediately brought this to the attention of the Site Manager, apologising and explaining the circumstances. He made no effort to assist or showed any concern for my son’s well being and expressed his disgust and annoyance at the mattress being wet. I proceeded to attempt to clean the mattress and delivered the laundry to the housekeeping staff for laundering.

We were subsequently treated very badly by the owner and advised that they would be typing an invoice for the mattress and change of linen, demanding immediate payment.

The owner appeared to take great delight in lecturing me in front of her staff pointing out that her receptionists were typing me a bill as we spoke. The owner then went on to express in front of her other management staff how she felt that I was to blame for not foreseeing my child’s illness and "accident" and ensuring that their mattress was properly protected and that I should have known better! I was absolutely horrified at being spoken to in such a disgusting manner.

On consulting with my travel insurance company, the local Doctor and my colleagues in the travel industry they all expressed their horror at the owners unprofessional behaviour.

During the second week our Dog was attacked and bitten by an adder on the grassland hill by the Yurts, luckily it wasn't one of our children! Local people expressed that they had seen a lot of adders in the area over the years and knew it to be a problem. The vet advised us to avoid walking in sandy grassland dune/hillside areas (the Yurt location!) as there had been a lot of adder bites in the area.

During the second week, I asked the site manager where the "archery" and "abseiling" areas were that we advertised on "The Park" website and marketing material at the time of booking (some of the online info has been changed since we booked). I was advised in a very abrupt tone: "that I should know, as I had been there10 days that they weren't built yet".

All in all, although the concept and style of accommodation seemed initially idyllic, it soon became apparent that "The Park" in did not provide an ideal family holiday experience! We would not recommend it to anyone due to rude, arrogant owner and management staff, the overpriced and misleading marketing material and the flea/lice/adder infested Yurt area.

Coming from a family of hoteliers who are highly experienced and trained in hospitality management and marketing it was sad to see such appalling behavior rife amongst the most senior members of The Park. Let’s hope they see the errors of their ways soon and book themselves on customer care training course.

Signed: "You don't always get what you pay for!"

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
12 Thank HolidaysinCornwall
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2010

Me my wife and and 5 month old stayed here in August.
We had a lovely time here and really enjoyed spending time in the park and by the beach.
Accommodation was very good and could hardly fault it, infact the only fault we could come up with was the shelf over the sink was too low to have a wash.
The park itself is still undergoing some improvements but it is still a very nice place to be and after reading some reviews about rude staff I have to say all the staff I came across were very friendly and helpful.
Mawgan porth beach is about a 2 min walk away and is a great beach with some nice shops, a pub and couple of restaurants.
Coastal walks in the area are fantastic and the 2 mile walk to Bedruthian steps is fantastic as the views are brilliant I just wish I had my camera with me when I went up there.
All in all I would reccommend 'The Park' as a good family getaway but not so good if your looking for nightlife.

2 Thank Sid_The_Gunner
Wincanton
Reviewed March 20, 2010

We had a fantastic stay in October half term. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The accomodation amazing. Great safe place for children and only a stones throw from the beach. THANKS ALL

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank HS40
Bristol
Reviewed January 4, 2010

I stayed at the Park in Mawgan Porth in early September and had a lovely time there. I was in a caravan, which initially on booking I wasn't too keen about. However, the way the caravan park is laid out (not in rows and with lots of trees and plants among the caravans), I was really pleased by the level of quiet and stillness there was as well as the degree of privacy. The caravan had absolutely everything you could wish for and it was all extremely well-kept and super-clean. My only gripe was a lingering smell of damp (thouh no visible signs) in the back bedroom.The staff were very freindly and helpful and the atmosphere was laid back. The location is perfect - you can walk to the beach, though there are currents at Mawgan Porth. You can very easily get onto the South West coastal path and there is also a regular 'hopper bus' which allows you to get on and off the path along the coast. Watergate Bay is just around the corner and just down the road are some facilities (a pub, good pizza/pasta restaurant, and a fish and chip ship, but beware veggies, it cooks in beef fat!).
The place is lovely and quiet with wonderful views. It's different from the impression created on the website (which makes it seem very large) and I know they are planning other lodges and a surfing lodge. I just hope that doesn't spoil the stillness of the place. I really recommend it though and will definitely be making my way back there in the near future.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
Retallack Resort and Spa
Retallack Resort and Spa
#1 of 3 in St Columb Major

Been to The Park, Cornwall? Share your experiences!