“Going downhill”
Review of The Park, Cornwall

The Park, Cornwall
Reviewed December 7, 2012

We have stayed here year on year for quite a number of years and thoroughly enjoyed it. They have built an indoor pool and cafe area since we first began going and this has really improved the facilities.
However, there has been a dramatic decline in customer service this year. You now get a number for a safety box attached to the outside of your property where your keys will be on arrival - previous years we were met by a member of staff and, if required, shown round the complex & to our cottage – this was a lovely personal touch that appears to be lacking now.
On our final day there was a letter on our door mat when we arrived back from the beach that basically said 'hope you've had a nice stay but you need to be gone by 10 in the morning' - I thought this was terrible, maybe if I hadn't stayed here many times before I would have been ok, but knowing The Park as I do this was totally out of keeping with The Parks usual friendly ethos.
I saw a programme the other day that featured The Park (Home Sweet Home Holiday, I think it was called) and it showed the 'new manager' meeting and greeting people on arrival and waving them off when they leave - this doesn't happen, you are lucky if you see the manager.
Yes, the facilities are good, but having stayed previously & returned again & again for the atmosphere and friendly staff who clearly enjoy what they do. We have seen a drastic change this year in the feel and atmosphere of the place. The Park appear now to just want your money & the friendliness we loved so much has sadly disappeared – this WAS something wonderful but unfortunately we will not be returning.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank ellielou11

Reviewed November 24, 2012

Six hours in the backseat. That evaporates in seconds when you arrive at The Park. Warm smiles, a menu that equates to nodding in approval at everything that is on offer, nor does it lack in nodding when it arrives. Maybe sitting in the backseat has caused this nodding. Staff, brilliant, have everything under control with a vibe that nothing is a problem. Certainly one of the best spots to base yourself for an exploration of the beauty that is Mawgan Porth and surroundings. Oh and don't wait for the sunshine, because natural beauty lasts all year round, I'd even go as far as maybe there's something almost supernatural about this place, but maybe that's just the Cornish air? Oh and by the way - 1hr flight from London to Newquay - 20 mins by car to The Park, abracadabra - experience begins. - If I must add a personal note - I caught my first wave 10 days ago, It's already too long before I get the chance to do it again. Thanks to all at The Park, I'll be back, the sooner the better.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Horizon808
Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in half term week 27th Oct 2012 in 10 Arvor East. We are a couple and not the typical family that would stay and it suited us fine. High quality Chalet lodge. We had a really well equipped kitchen with everything you could have wanted and the oven and appliances were all high quality which made it easier. Spacious room and nice bed. A small milk on arrival in fridge which was great for a cup of tea.

The shower flooded once but once reported was rectified within the day, so we had no qualms.

The only disappointment is that no one from the park popped round at any point to check if all was OK. maybe a customer satisfaction questionnaire in chalet would have been useful too.

1 large and small towel was provided per person, however after a week we really needed clean ones. There was a washing machine however you couldn't wash and dry within a couple of hours so at least 2 each would have been useful.

We went to the pool once and it was a bit busy (it was half term and raining so to be expected). Although the restaurant did look nice but we didn't eat there as we had our own food, and it did look too cramped.

Perfect location to explore Cornwall. Recommend Padstow and taking the ferry to Rock and then walking the huge beautiful beach.

Don't bother with nearby Jamie Olivers Fifteen restaurant, over priced and poor service.

Would consider coming back,

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank happydudders1
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Stayed at The Park in sept and had a fantastic time - the location and amenities were top notch and out three year old daughter took particular pleasure in the indoor swimming pool. Food in the cafe was very good and although a limited choice we found it of excellent quality and had turbot on our last night which was superb. Mawgan Porth has a great beach with rock pools to keep kids entertained all day, just a shame the fish and chip shop had already shut for the season! We'll be back

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I reluctantly give the park 5 stars, only because I don't want it to get too busy and loose it's charm! I can't think of a single negative, this has been my husband and I's second stay, it's so relaxing.

The staff are friendly, relaxed and amenable. The food is incredibly good value. Although it is a family desintation we found that visiting out of season was ideal. There were still little ones around but because of the relaxed nature of the place it wasnt child overload! Little touches in the accommodation made the difference; milk on arrival, lovely linen and quilts give a luxurious feel, and everything was super clean.

I did read the bad reviews as I was shocked to see there were any, in my opinion they hold no substance, if you want a relaxed, unique holiday I can highly recommend the park. We had plenty of blustery coastal walks, lots of swims and more latte's and amazing puddings to sink a battle ship!

The selways

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank theselwaysTruro
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed at the Park for 10 days in mid Sept. We were blessed by the weather - we were on the beach nearly every day for the first week. We went with the extended family (12 adults, 6 children all under 4) and as far as I know everyone loved it. Because we were all staying in our own accommodation I got to see quite a few of the cottages, eco house etc. We stayed in one of the classic cottages, definitely the oldest of the properties. It was sufficient but wow the eco lodges are fab. Alternatively if its space you want the superior cottages have large living areas. The food in the cafe is just fabulous - I kept asking for instructions on how to cook the stuff at home. Nothing complicated just so well done. The children loved it and it's in a great spot. We didn't have a car and used the bus to get to the airport. All worked great. Very definitely hope we will be back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We visited Mawgan Porth in August when friends were staying here. Having used the amazing facilities, we stopped for a delicious lunch which was tasty, fresh and healthy. It was great to a menu that incorporates fresh local produce and flavour and a great choice for children too. It was so good that we came back the next day. When I accidently left an item here, Carolyn was extremely helpful in getting it returned to me. Thank you to all of the friendly team.

1  Thank Pirjo S
#1 of 3 in St Columb Major
Gwel an Mor
Gwel an Mor
#1 of 2 in Portreath

Been to The Park, Cornwall? Share your experiences!