“Fantastic, relaxing three night break at The Scarlet Hotel”
Review of The Scarlet Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Scarlet Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Mawgan Porth
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed February 5, 2014

My husband and I had the most wonderful time at the Scarlet Hotel. Everything about the hotel is geared to couples and romance. We stayed in room 10 which was wonderful. It was well designed, comfortable and had everything you could want, including a double ended bath tub in the bedroom with a sea view. There is also a separate shower. We were there when there were some amazing storms, so we could lie in bed, or the bath, and watch the waves crashing outside. Very cosy.

The food is also fantastic. I ate from the vegetarian menu every evening and there was always lots of interesting choices which I find unusual in many places now, where there is usually only one vegetarian alternative. There was a choice of three starters and three main courses from both the "meat" menu and the veggie menu. Desserts were also lovely. All the food is beautifully presented.

We made good use of the lovely indoor swimming pool and spa area as well as having a facial and massage. All fab!

A review of the hotel would not be complete without mention of the incredible staff. I have never been to a hotel with such great staff. Everyone is friendly, professional and welcoming.

OK, this is not an inexpensive hotel and we could probably have had a week in the Canary Islands for what we paid, but I know where I would prefer to be, at The Scarlet!

Thank you to everyone there. We will be back!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your time at The Scarlet. I am so pleased that you both had such a wonderful time with us. You're right in saying that we do lend ourselves very well to special, romantic breaks away for couples (and what a lovely extra touch of magic the storms brought for us all.)

I will, of course, pass your wonderful comments on to our head chef regarding our food. His team really do put a lot of thought and feeling into providing a special meal for every guest and diet, and our delicious vegetarian menu is a real testament to this. We often find that our meat eating guests are tempted by it!

Lastly, thank you for the special mention regarding all of our staff here. I will be sure to pass on your appreciation - it always puts a smile on everyone's face.

Thank you once again for your review and for staying with us. I'm so glad that you are planning to return and am looking forward to welcoming you again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,633)

Reviewed February 3, 2014

I spent 5 extremely relaxing nights at the Scarlet over Christmas. It was the perfect family get away. With relaxing activities organized for us such as - wine tasting, meditation walks, photography classes and a Christmas day swim. The food was exceptional and the staff were all extremely friendly and helpful. Very nice pool and Spa too.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Thank you ever so much for taking the time to share your experience of your Christmas here at The Scarlet. It's so wonderful to hear that you and the family had a perfect and relaxed get away, and enjoyed the activities (the Christmas day swim is always a firm favourite, and a real Scarlet tradition. So much fun and so exhilarating!). I will pass on your lovely comments to the teams here, and we hope to welcome you all again soon.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

Wonderful place to stay - first time at the Scarlet, but not the first to Cornwall. Room was excellent following the staff repairing the door to the outside - done as soon as reported very windy draft to start. Drinks and food are very good to excellent. Staff worked hard over the holiday period to make all the guests feel welcome. Beach and walks are just outside. Hotel dog available for walks. Winter storms were great to watch. Indoor pool and steam room were great following a winter walk. New Years Party was excellent! Rain put somewhat of a damper on the fireworks, but they got off. We left as they were closing for the season. Plan to return.

Room Tip: Rooms on upper levels have gray views of the sea!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2014

As you mention, the weather over the new year period this year was truly dreadful, but did make for fantastic fireside viewing of the dramatic storms. Such a wonderful sight! We are so pleased that you enjoyed our Scarlet house party. It is true that we do work very hard to make it as delightful as we can, but believe me when I say we really do enjoy it as much as you! I will pass on your lovely comments to the teams regarding the spa, service and food. Thank you ever so much for sharing your experience, and I hope that we will be welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

A friend and I spent three wonderful days at this very special hotel in October. It was cold, blowy and largely wet while we were there, so we felt little compunction about staying put almost all the time. We ventured down onto the beach and for a short cliff walk on the second day. Also with so many different and glorious places to sit and read, chat, look at the fabulous sea views, who needed to be anywhere else? Add to this the fabulous spa with it's pool, outdoor hot tubs (not to be missed and good at all times of the day or night - we did both) and quiet spaces, we had everything we could possibly need or want right there.
The service is quite simply second to none. All staff are incredibly friendly, phenomenally helpful and approachable but not in your face. Nothing is too much trouble and there is such a "can do" approach here you feel you could ask for anything and it would be possible.
Utterly delightful experience from start to finish and next time I will definitely do some of the wonderful walks which start right from the front door............ Well..... maybe!! A place to seriously recharge, unwind and be peaceful.

Room Tip: The 'Just Right' rooms really are exactly that.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank happyfoodie098
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a kind review of your stay, and I'm so glad that you had such a delightful time with us. I will let the teams know you were well looked after, and that you will be back to stay again soon to take in our wonderful coastline, be it through our lovely coastal walks, or from the hot tub!

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Our second visit in 2013 and our first for New Year. The three days were without fault. The program of events including a wine tasting were just right. The food was excellent and more importantly all the lovely staff worked so had to make it a fantastic experience. For anyone who is thinking of staying for the first time try a Just Right room you will not be disappointed. The whole atmosphere of the hotel is very relaxing perfect for a short break away from it all!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mary V
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am so glad that you had a wonderful stay, and it will be a pleasure to read out your comments to the team, who all really enjoyed making the celebrations as magical as possible! Hopefully we will be welcoming you back to The Scarlet again soon.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

It was a nice but a bit cold day but the scarlet hotel spa experience did complete the day. We had the couple's treatment which include the rhassoul and the hot tub (wooden) experience overseeing the nice view of cornwall. Few of our friends already been there and told us their amazing experience. The only thing is going there as there are narrow roads leading there, though someones's driving for me so shouldn't really complain. the whole place smells lovely as they are using those neom diffusers. Would definitely recommend and go again :D

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jerico B

What a lovely way to spend a chilly day with your partner! The Rhassoul is the perfect experience for couples, and to top it up with a soak in the hot tub must have been the perfect end to a relaxing day. Thank you for taking the time to review us, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

Stunning, beautiful views!!!! The hotel is an eco hotel and the theme runs throughout whilst maintaining elegance! It's really modern and rooms are light, very clean and standards are high.

There is very little at fault with this wonderful retreat so I will get the only areas for improvement out of the way quickly. The in room hairdryer didn't work and when replaced wasn't very powerful so I utilized the spa dryer which was a parlux each day! The robes in the room one of them had a stain on it so I didn't use it and the bar area was a little small so we had to sit on the central area until we could get a table but non of these were a big deal and I would 100% return. There is a couple of things that may bother other people but that I didn't mind EG phone signal as this is only available out of the hotel at the top of the hill but they do give you free wi fi.
Also the parking there is very little and the car park concierge often has to move the cars around.

For me it was so nice not to have my mobile on!!! Very relaxing indeed!!!

Staff are a joy throughout. The check in is in a stunning area overlooking the sea and they don't have a reception desk but a casual welcome area with a lounge where you sit which is lovely!

The best two things about the hotel are the views from the rooms and the breakfasts that are the BEST breakfast we have ever had in any hotel world wide!!!

We stayed for three nights and each day the breakfast was from a new menu with some constants but also some variations. There were so many tasty options including the worlds best granola which was divine!!!!! We can't speak highly enough of the breakfasts!!!

Whilst we were here we also did a spa experience which was a hot tub on the side of the beach in a heated tub you were allowed to order champagne whilst in the hot tub and it was just perfect a definite must do!!!

This hotel was a real retreat and we would definitely return. Thank you to the wonderful team at the Scarlet!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank luxuryliker28
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Thank you ever so much for taking the time to post such a lovely review, it was a pleasure to read it out to the team. I'm glad that you enjoyed your time with us (especially breakfast, which I agree, with the ever varying three courses is always a treat!) and we hope to see you again very soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mawgan Porth
Sands Resort Hotel & Spa
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell

Been to The Scarlet Hotel? Share your experiences!