“Steer clear”

The Scarlet Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Mawgan Porth
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I went to the Scarlett for two nights at the end of our honeymoon. We were very disappointed. For nearly 400 pound a night we think for a room and breakfast, not good. All the spa's etc are extra, all though you can use the outdoor pool for free. Whilst the staff are attentive, some would say, intrusive, we did no feel comfortable during our stay. In addition, we found the food to be unimaginative in relation to the cost, and the choice for veggies lacking. Having a chef say 'we can rustle something up for you' is not my idea for a hotel this says it is. Maybe we caught a bad weekend, but we would not go back.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Jim_Muggins
Alison B, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2013

I was very sorry to read your review of your experiences during your stay here and I wanted to apologise, as we obviously didn't get anywhere near our usual high standards of service. Would it be possible for me to call you as I would love to be able to follow up on your stay properly? Alison.Black@scarlethotel.co.uk

Write a ReviewReviews (1,623)

Reviewed October 17, 2013

This hotel is perfect if you want a relaxing break. A member of staff seems to magically appear whenever you need anything and there are loads of comfy sofas and loungers to relax and gaze at the sea. All the bedrooms have a sea view - ours was on the lowest level and had a small patio from which you could walk across the grass and then down a few steps onto the beach - my idea of heaven. The room itself was lovely with a fantastic double shower. The lounges have lots of interesting art and sculpture and the bar is very stylish. The hotel has every comfort but still manages to live up to being an eco hotel. We will definitely be going back.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your relaxing stay - I have passed on your kind comments to the teams.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

Four of us for lunch yesterday.We all enjoyed it....the view,the food the service(thank you Debbie) our waitress and to the nice man who brought the food.V relaxed but well done.The Scarlet is stylish but without pretension.....And I need to thank the helpful staff after my idiot dog got out of the car and went walkabout looking for us.I get the impression that this place is very laid back but on top of what they do........tho I haven't been here during a busy time.Put the amazing beach view framed thro the Hotel's windows and the serenity atmosphere and tensions drop away.Good for them.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

That sounds a lovely lunch! Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about it, & as you say, the restaurant is in a really lovely position, for those stunning views of the sea, beach and the sky.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Very welcoming staff, extremely attentive and very professional - as you would expect after reading other reviews. I left my shades by the pool and they reappeared with coffee we ordered sometime later - I was impressed! Make sure you are happy with your bed size before arrival. Our room had an amazing view but I'll know to ask for a room with a bit bigger bed next time. We had a wonderful dinner, food was excellent and reasonable value. Some tables in my opinion are in a better location than others, particularly at night with reflective glass. We'll be back.

Room Tip: Tip - Make sure you know your bed size and you are happy with it before confirming.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

What a fabulous review of your recent 2 night stay, and glad your sunglasses came back to you with coffee! We all hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Having called in at this hotel in the past to have a nose, we thought it might be lacking in atmosphere, but it was the opposite. The hotel has a lovely feel about it, very relaxing and very welcoming. Although not cheap, it is in a fantastic spot. The views are wonderful from everywhere and very relaxing just watching the waves roll in and out. The restaurant was buzzing and full for a Sunday night. Great massage and lovely pool.
The only thing I would have liked is fresh fruit at breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sleepingbeauty

So glad you came to stay after popping into have a look around, it was good to read you had such a relaxing time, and enjoyed the atmosphere in the Restaurant.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Stunning room with surely one of the best views in Cornwall, beautiful surroundings, relaxed, attentive service but not at all obtrustive. Lots of public space in the hotel, never felt crowded and always somewhere nice available to sit & chill. Hard to fault.

Room Tip: Ours was 'entry' level - at the front, first floor, and would choose same again even if trav...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review of your stay at The Scarlet, I agree with you that our Just Right Rooms are exactly that! It was good that you found all the space you needed to sit and read and chill.

Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

My wife had never been to Cornwall, so as our local Southend airport's Easyjet flew to Newquay it was time to take a 9 day holiday.

I hadn't been since the 70's to Perran sands and the surrounding area. It was great to re visit.

Our stay at the Scarlet was our 3rd port of call after 3 nights at the Old Quay House in Fowey, Then 3 nights at The Boskeris in St Ives.

All hotels were marvellous but this one had to be the best.
The Scarlet is a splendid modern build hotel with glass & art everywhere with plenty of room for all. For such a big footprint the hotel only had 30 odd rooms which makes a refreshing change to cramming in rooms. You are definitely made to feel special.

We were in an indulgent room with all the mod cons and was roomy and had great views of the Morgan Porth bay which is beautiful. If anything the room was too big and had what was effectively a dance floor between the end of the bed and the wall with the TV. The bed was really comfortable with views to die for.

There was a small but useful balcony and on the occasional moments of sunshine we used this and once again just spent time watching the tide rush up and down the beach.
We ate in the hotel on two evenings and went for a super lobster fix in Newquay's old Boatyard.

The hotel operates an eat anywhere anytime system which was very effective, lunching in one of the many lounges of relaxation areas.

The rooms did not have tea or coffee making facilities in the room but did have speedy room service with fresh tea or coffee delivered with just a call to reception, wonderful.

Evening meals were very very good. My wife and I have eaten in some of best hotels and reataraunts in the world but one of our deserts on the second meal was outstanding. It was a sharing meal of white chocolate moose with raspberries honeycomb and banana ice cream. 10/10 magnificent.

The service in the Restaraunt was very good with attentive well versed staff. On both evening meals we had the recommended accompanying wines. These were all of superb quality and were chosen by the hotels wine manageress. She was also very approachable and informative about her choices.

I've just seen that the Spa was highly rated and was voted number 1 in the Sunday times, we can vouch for this.

We had pre booked a couples Spa break and shared a 4 hour session involving relaxation techniques a body scrub and a brilliant massage. Our two ladies were absolutely brilliant and made it a lovely experience.

The next day we had a hot tub experience which was novel whilst drinking cocktails. Heaven.

I do have one negative, I do agree with other comments in that I believe there should be a formal reception. I did not like the feeling of being spied on and as a customer you don't know if someone is coming or not.

However, all in all, a wonderful break in a top class hotel. Will be back,

Highly recommend

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SteveC28

I really enjoyed reading your kind review of your recent trip down to Cornwall and glad we came top of your list! I have passed on your kind comments to all the teams and hopefully we shall see you here again before too long.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mawgan Porth
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell
Sands Resort Hotel & Spa

Been to The Scarlet Hotel? Share your experiences!