“Spa Day”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Mawgan Porth
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Spa Day”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My husband and I can her for the day for our 2nd wedding anniversary. Everything was amazing. We both enjoyed excellent massages and our time spent in the out door hot tub was out of this world. Lunch was lovely in a separate dinning room and the food was delicious. We also had dinner here. The service was first class by Marcus (I think).Unfortunately the food was not the same standard in the evening. Although the menu choice was great the food was only luke warm and I had an uncooked potato. But that was being very picky. The overall feel of the hotel made up for this. We have decided that we will come back here for every anniversary. Hopefully next time we wont have to work the next day and can stay the night. Thank u very much to everyone it really made our day very special.

• Stayed July 2013
Alison B, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
What a lovely sounding Spa day! I hope you do get to come back and stay next time, we have a 2 night Spa break that runs in the autumn which is great fun and good value, if you have some time to get away again around that time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
Hertfordshire
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We have just spent a lovely week relaxing at The Scarlet. Everything about the hotel is special, from the amazing customer care to the fantastic views and lovely food. Our room was on the ground floor which was brilliant for my husband to go out to surf. The thing that makes the hotel such a nice place to stay is how friendly and helpful all the staff are. The hotel also has a lovely relaxed and unpretentious feel. Breakfast was a real treat every morning with such a wide choice and the evening meals are delicious. So much thought has gone into the decor and layout of the hotel as well. We loved the addition of the red beanbags in the grounds - they are a great way to relax in the sunshine and enjoy the view. We also both enjoyed a lovely treatment in the spa and a hot tub overlooking the cliffs. It is a really special hotel - we will be back!

Room Tip: We always stay in the 'just right' rooms and they are perfect. A ground floor room is perfec...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your stay, and it is lovely to read that you will be back soon, I have passed on your kind comments about the staff to the teams.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We love modern architecture, and Cornish beaches, and had great expectations of this new, trendy hotel. The huge price tag lead us to anticipate some sort of perfection, but sadly that was not quite achieved.

The hotel takes you by surprise, as it is firmly bedded into a residential area, rather than standing alone on the cliffs above the beach, and the approach is definitely built-up. However, once inside the entrance foyer the building is impressive and the views out across the beach to the opposite cliffs and the sea are simply fabulous; water and light are reflected across the walls.

The absence of a Reception Desk in the desire to remove the 'hotel' feeling, is understandable, but does not quite work. Staff, squatting or kneeling with clipboards, who then keep batting backwards and forwards to what presumably is an office to check details, is awkward. A simple desk would work so much better.

Our room was wonderful, and very spacious despite being the less expensive available. It was attractive, spacious and the large plate glass end wall looked over the beach and had its own private balcony. Privacy is further enhanced by the absolute quiet in the room, you have no sense of anyone else around you. The corridors approaching the rooms are generous, and the doors wide and solid - we had no sense of the hotel being full, which it was.

The en suite facilities, whilst again being very spacious, we also very 'en suite' with the lavatory and shower being housed in the room behind an etched glass screen, offering too much intimacy for us. The bath robes under the washbasin were damp.

Dining took place in a double height room overlooking the magnificent view, with a small mezzanine addition, and a suspended bar area. The décor was surprising and the use of colour was poor. Black and white patterned cushions, dark netted curtains with wine red blobs, bear no relation to the sea. Throughout the interior of the hotel a trick has been missed with colour, which could have been radiant and responsive to the wonderful views.

There is 'art' work throughout the hotel, with some very interesting pieces of sculpture, which is unusual and pleasing. However, dotted around the building are some truly awful pieces of two-dimensional work. There are so many missed aesthetic opportunities in the interiors, which could be wonderful if differently clothed.

Dinner was promising, with a good varied menu, and the service was good, though the pounding of enthusiastic staff over bare wooden floors could get intrusive. In reality the meal was patchy, with an excellent course followed by an overcooked one. The fault seemed to lie in the cooking rather than the menu, which is very good.

Throughout our stay, the staff, who were very numerous, were pleasant and endlessly helpful. Nothing was too much trouble.

So, no, we won't be returning, and came away feeling somehow disappointed - perhaps our expectations were too high, but we have stayed much lovelier hotels for far less money.

2 Thank Gertrude40
It was good to read your review of your stay and that you enjoyed so much of The Scarlet but I have passed on your thoughts on what was not quite right as we strive to deliver over and above.
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Having stayed at the Scarlets sister hotel (The Bedruthan Steps Hotel) both my girlfriend and I had high hopes when visiting the Scarlet for our one night break in August 2013. Listed below is what we found good about the hotel followed by our disappointments. The score that we would have liked to of given is three and a half out of five but as this was not an option we have chosen to give a three as opposed to a four out of five as per our comments below.

.....+.....

- Very clean and luxurious. Everywhere is spotless
- Excellent location with stunning sea views and a short walk to the beach
- Evening meal in the restaurant was superb
- Room was very clean with a fantastic comfortable bed. Balcony was lovely
- Outdoor pool was unique and one of a kind. Best I have ever swam in
- Lots of relaxing areas - complimentary tea and coffee anywhere in the hotel. Coffee is of excellent quality
- Changing facilities in the spa are outstanding - private changing areas equipped with showers. Secure lockers with changeable pin codes
- Restaurant staff were superb

.....-.....

- From the moment we arrived both my girlfriend and I felt uncomfortable by the way the parking and 'booking in' process went. As soon as we had parked up in a nice single space right at the front of the hotel, we were asked to move the car to another space so that an expensive BMW 5 series could be parked in ours. Our Vauxhall was then going to be double parked at the rear of the hotel as opposed to the BMW. This made absolutely no sense whatsoever and when I pointed this out to the parking assistant and asked if this was to do with the fact that we didn't have a BMW, it was suddenly 'all change' and our car remained where we had parked it?
Although we arrived half an hour early we had to wait over 30 minutes to check in and had to chase it up on one occasion as we were just sat waiting and it felt like we had been forgotten about. I wanted to carry our own bags in from the car as both my girlfriend and I had been staying somewhere else in Cornwall the previous week and the bags were in a bit of a mess. When I explained this to the parking assistant he was adamant that he would take them in himself. This meant that we had to sort all our bags out quickly and on the spot with the assistant stood behind us whilst we were doing so.
- There was neither a jacuzzi or Sauna in the otherwise excellent Spa
- Breakfast format was not to our tastes. The menu was set out as three courses like an evening meal. We would have preferred a buffet
- As previously stated the rooms were lovely but the layout was definitely not to our taste. Having the toilet as part of the main room means that every sound made in the toilet can be clearly heard in the main part of the room. Not exactly ideal when you are trying to have a romantic night away
- The hot tubs were lovely but I think charging £15.00 for half hour is excessive when you are already paying £350.00 for the night and evening meal
- Morning newspaper should be included due to the price of the room
- The £5.00 charity donation that is automatically added to the bill is both disgusting and insulting. I am fully aware that a lot of the Scarlets clientel will have extensive disposable income but this is not the case for everyone. My girlfriend and I had to save for a number of months to be able to visit the hotel for a one night break and it was difficult. I don't expect to have the donation added to the bill but feel that if the Scarlet are keen to support local charities they can always subtract it from the bill for our one nights stay which totalled well over £400.00.

In the future we will choose the Bedruthan Steps hotel in preference to the Scarlet on every occasion. The Bedruthan Steps is our favourite hotel and this is why we thought we would try a break at the Scarlet. It is not that we didn't enjoy our break at the Scarlet but unfortunately it did not meet our expectations for the amount of money that we paid.

3 Thank Jimbofire
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your stay with us, and I have passed on your comments to the teams, as we are always trying to improve and grow.
london
Reviewed August 14, 2013

My husband booked The Scarlet as a birthday treat for me. It was the best birthday I've ever had.

We arrived on my actual birthday to glorious sunshine, a gorgeous room overlooking the sea and the meal in the evening was just delicious.

The staff are fantastic, friendly and helpful and always smiling - they clearly love where they work and it shows.

I couldn't fault The Scarlet at all. We absolutely loved every minute of our stay and have never felt so relaxed on a holiday before.

We have been to some gorgeous places in the world but we never have gone back to the same place twice however amazing it's been as we always like to try different places. However, The Scarlet had just something about it that we couldn't wait to go back and we ended up booking for New Year whilst we were there.

We are already counting the days until we are next there !

Thank you to everyone for making my birthday and our stay so special and we look forward to seeing you all again in a few months

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
So glad you enjoyed your birthday treat here, and that you are coming to spend New Year with us, we look forward to seeing then.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2013

My partner and I stayed here in May 2013 for my birthday with our beloved Labrador. I have to say, on occasion it's difficult to travel with your favorite canine friend without compromising somewhat on the luxury of hotel room (hotel choice, room quality, view, situation, etc). Often, we've booked 'dog friendly rooms' at other lovely hotels which always seem to be a little less luxurious or poorly situated and you feel momentarily bitter towards the unaware pooch. However, The Scarlett Hotel was nothing of the sort. It's really one of the few lovely, luxury hotels, where I feel like we got an amazing, relaxing, luxurious spa retreat with our beloved fido. No compromises. Pure luxurious relaxation.

I continue to be impressed with the eco-friendly vibe of the hotel, great friendly service, and attentive but laid back attitude of staff. The views from the hotel are absolutely fantastic - second to none. The restaurant/brekkie are great, right amount of variety (although could improve variety of veggie fare...all on menu was executed well). Spa massages were to die for...they actually felt therapeutic and restorative. Not to mention the gorgeous view.

There are plenty of activities just outside the hotel grounds, surf board/wetsuit hire, riding, cycle hire, coastal paths for miles, plenty of play time for doggies at the beach. Seriously, park the car and just relax.

We will definitely return next year.

ps) Dogs + food + hungry gulls on the patio at your own risk -or- for bemusement of fellow guests.
pps) Wine pairing is done very well in the restaurant, you're not driving after all.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
What a fantastic review, thank you for taking the time to write it and it was good to read your dog also enjoyed his luxury break and that all 3 of you will be back!
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 12, 2013

A tranquil hotel for couples to retreat to for some R&R. Ayurvedic-focussed spa is a central pull for guests with a beautiful indoor pool and indoor/outdoor relaxation area. Helpful but not in-your-face service from the hotel staff who create a laid-back and top quality atmosphere. We saw couples of mixed ages, from baby-mooners to more mature couples, mother-daughter pairings and friends enjoying some grown-up time away, spa-ing and relaxing.
It is expensive - so to really relax you have to be comfortable enough with the price that it doesn't bother you during your stay! Especially if you want to indulge in spa treatments too, which you should.
It is a beautifully designed hotel, as many others here attest, and the art is beautiful. The dinner we had in the restaurant was great - creative menus, well executed - and the hotel service spot-on. The breakfast is a highlight - love that breakfast hours are until 10.30am - and the food sets you up for the day.
I would come back here in a shot.
I thought the restaurant service was a little patchy - slow to bring drinks and move our place settings/water-glasses when we moved outside for dessert, a couple of times plates went to incorrect tables...it could definitely be improved.

Things I would tell my friends about the stay:
1. The location isn't particularly remote - The hill above Mawgan Porth beach has many other buildings on it. For some reason I pictured the Scarlet to be all on its own, nice and remote...! On fine days the beach is busy. The hotel's location, up on the hill, means you can avoid the crowds but don't, like me, imagine you and your lover walking along a remote beach every day - unless you get up early for your stroll or are there off season.

2. There are remote beaches if you are prepared to hike north along the coastal path a little, though...remember to take your swimming costume.

3. I am a major consumer of hotel pools. This one is delightful, and I frequently had it to myself over the 3 days I was there in August. However - it's not as big as it looks in the photos. I know, no surprise...It is big enough to do some decent swimming but more than 3 people going up and down at the same time would make it crowded.

4. They replenish the in-room bottled water on a day-to-day basis as they service the room. I wish I'd asked for two bottles from day one. One is never enough for the two of us. By the end of my stay I'd got it right.

5. The seagulls are noisy. Do not be tempted to sleep with your doors open, even if it's hot. Their caw-ing will wake you up at 5am...

My one criticism - on my bill at check out I was charged daily for my newspaper and there was a GBP5 donation added that goes to the charities the hotel supports. At GBP400/night + it would have been sweeter to have the daily newspaper included and it's great to see them supporting local charities but that's their personal choice, not mine, and the GBP5 should come out of their takings, not be added on top of the bill. I liked the information they put out in the lounge about the charities they support and I'm glad to support their business because that's one of their policies -but extras like that do not need to be charged on top of an expensive room rate...

I hope I can get back to the Scarlet and I wish I knew of more places like it in other locations...it's a great place to stay and is a destination on its own.

1 Thank comefrywithme
Wow! Thank you for your amazing review - it was great to read how much you enjoyed all the areas of The Scarlet, and especially the Spa. Hopefully you can come back, maybe on a 3 or 4 night spa break?
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mawgan Porth
#1 of 9 in St Austell
The Oceanic Hotel
The Oceanic Hotel
#1 of 23 in Falmouth

Been to The Scarlet Hotel? Share your experiences!