“Crowning Glory for Cornwall”
Review of The Scarlet Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Scarlet Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Mawgan Porth
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Durham, United Kingdom
“Crowning Glory for Cornwall”
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

We had no sooner parked and we were greater by a pleasant member of staff who guided us into the lobby. We first noticed a magnificent vista of the sea, beach, and cliffs. Whilst in awe of the view another equally courteous and friendly employee welcomed us in a relaxed yet professional manner. We were escorted to our room and everything we needed to know was explained. We'd chosen to leave the luggage in the car until after check-in, but when we returned, laden with bags, we put them at reception and without delay we were offered assistance and together we took the luggage to our room.
Unexpectedly, yet very much appreciated, this young man spoke with us, and advised us about the local area. By now, we felt as though we were amongst friends.
We explored the grounds, ate, relaxed in the spa and realised that this hotel was exceptional in every way; perfect for an anniversary, even a honeymoon.
What makes this extra special is that your can bring your well behaved dog, which many other hotels of this very high standard choose not to permit.
Thoroughly delightful!

• Stayed August 2013
Alison B, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
It was so lovely to read your review of your stay and to hear that everyone here helped to make your stay so special. We do hope you can come back with your dog soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
Egham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 3, 2013

This is the only hotel in the UK that I can honestly say was faultless.

I stayed during the soft opening in 2009 and it was by far the most indulgent, luxuriously opulent spa retreat I have ever experienced.

The rooms are spacious, the decor contemporary and luxurious, the food exquisite, spa areas so tranquil and the treatments 5*.

The staff were incredibly hospitable and the hotel dog Jasper simply made a perfect weekend ever better.

I would love to return but the price does deter me. Would love to see some great off peak offers. I want to return and see if everything is still faultless 4 years on!

I would reccomended any hotelier to stay here and take notes.

Cannot reccomend enough.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your lovely review of your stays with us, and as a returning guest, if you book 90 days in advance, you would be entitled to our best rate, the Early Bird rate. We hope to see you back again soon.
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We have just returned from a long weekend at the hotel and quite frankly it was one of the most relaxing weekends I have ever had. All the rooms have sea views. Ours was a 'Just Right King' and although it wasn't one of the ones with a complete view, it was enough. The room was very nicely decorated, clean, spacious, modern with a superb shower and a varied lightning system, so you could get the ambiance you desired. It was a bit strange not having tea making facilities in the room, but the staff would bring you tea, coffee, drinks, whatever really to your room without any fuss or bother. In fact I have to disagree with some of the other reviewers about the staff, as we thought they had just the right mix of friendly and formal. Nothing was too much trouble. They were polite, efficient and not over powering or underwhelming.
To be honest, we didn't spend much time in our room, as we found the relaxation facilities around the hotel superb, particularly the upstairs terrace where we spent several hours cocooned in one of their large outdoor tub chairs. We loved the 'Fat Boys' littered about the hillside, where you could rest undisturbed with brilliant views of the beach. The outdoor reed pool was just gorgeous, cold, but who cares! The hot tubs overlooking the beach, drink in hand, were a must. We loved all the sculptures and artwork in and around the hotel and the food was divine. We felt completely cosseted from the world and although we were only there for 3 nights, we felt relaxed and chilled. My only little grumble is that we didn't find out until we paid our bill that the use of the hot tubs is chargeable £15 for 30 mins. Whilst this hasn't spoilt our enjoyment of a wonderful place, we might have only had one hot tub session, rather than two. Considering that it is a luxury hotel and you do pay for that, we thought the charge to use the hot tub was a bit unjustified.
All in all though, a truly lovely place that we would definitely recommend and I hope be able to go back to soon.

Room Tip: All the rooms have sea views, I don't think you'd be disappointed with any.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Alison B, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
What an amazing review! Thank you so much for writing it. It was good to read you like the new outdoor loungers - with the fantastic weather here we needed them for our guests to be able to chill out in the sunshine and watch the sea below. Hope to see you back for another long weekend soon.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2013

The scarlet is a boutique style hotel situated on the banks of Mawgan Porth overlooking the beach and has fantastic views.
I was visiting the day spa with my sister in law as a treat after a very busy week . We each had a meeting with our therapist and had to fill in a rather complicated questionnaire but once we talked it through it really did assist with our tailor made massage . We had a session in what must be the hot tubs with the most spectacular views and had a drink . After the hot tub and a relax we had our massage and mine was wonderful . The room was relaxed smelt gorgeous and for the first time ever I went to sleep ........I would highly recommend this for anyone to get rid of aches and pains and that knotted tension feeling .
We were offered fresh fruit and there was plenty of water and herbal tea .
Lunch was delicious and served in a spa dinning room so there was no need to dress . The food was delicious with plenty of choice and our waitress was local to the area and so had lots of tips and hints on what to do locally and surfing . She also had a good knowledge of the food served and was very efficient in a non obtrusive sort of way.
The afternoon was completed with a swim in the outdoor reed filtered pool which I found cold but there were several people using it so perhaps I am just a bit wimpy.
The only reason I do not give the spa full marks are that there were not enough outside loungers for hotel guests and spa users and the relaxation pods I found very difficult to get in and out of with any dignity .
All the staff were lovely and it has been a super experience . I would love to come back .

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your time spent in our Spa. We hope you can come back again soon and have more relaxing spa time!
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We have stayed in 18 spas in the last 12 months and on paper this should have been one of the best. The facilities are without doubt amazing and the location beautiful but it is let down by the staff and the overall feel of the hotel. On arrival you read to sit down as they know you have arrived. It took a few minutes to be met by someone and this just felt rude. The staff were wearing what looked like cleaners uniforms rather than spa uniforms and the hotel was very quiet in all areas as they showed you around. It felt like being in a monastery! At dinner we sat down before two other couples, both of whom were served before us and the food took a long time to arrive. It was disappointing for the amount it costs to stay there the customer service should be better.

Room Tip: Some rooms you can walk from to the beach and store a board and wetsuit outside your room!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Georgina M
I was so sorry to read your review and will investigate what happened to cause our usual high standards to slip during your stay. I will get back to you personally on this.
Reviewed July 28, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at the Scarlet on four separate occasions now and each and every time we feel like we are coming home to a very special place. We enjoy meeting the same staff year after year who always welcome us and attend to our every need. We particularly enjoy the relaxed and contemporary interiors and the location and views. It is a special hotel which is extraordinary in so many ways yet is in no way stuffy or pretentious. We can dress up for dinner and enjoy some of the best food we have ever eaten or dress down for dinner and enjoy some of the best food we have ever eaten - anything goes! The spa is super, the hot tubs with views over the bay are a must and everything is scrupulously clean and well appointed. I heartily recommend the Scarlet to you.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for returning to stay with us so often, it is so nice to welcome you both, every time.
We very much hope to see you again soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I went here for dinner (did not stay, and very glad I didn't) because they accept dogs on the outside terrace. We made a booking and indicated we wanted a table outside because we had our little puppy with us.
On arrival it happened to be a bit cool because of the wind and were told that they haven't set up any tables outside because of that. Clearly, we thought that as we arranged in advance that we had our dog with us they had made alternative arrangements but didn't. They had made no attempt to call us in advance so that we could make alternative arrangements. The alternative was to sit on a table outside which they would make up for us or sit in the lounge which was not a restaurant - there were people sitting reading and relaxing, not an area where we would sit and eat and expect to pay their sort of prices. In the end the restaurant manager provided the bottle of wine we were drinking at no charge which was a very nice gesture for the hassle and lack of communication with us.
Outside of this the hotel itself is not even close to being a five star boutique hotel. The prices that they charge for the rooms (we almost stayed for 4 nights some weeks earlier) in return for the quality of the furnishings and decor was poor. I regularly stay at boutique and five star hotels at these prices and the quality and standard of both the hotel and the staff are not up to scratch. If you are local and feel like throwing away your money thinking you are getting a luxury experience, then go for it, but I would not recommend this hotel to anyone and certainly would not stay here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank sck68
MHudd, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Many thanks for your review, I am saddened to hear that you experience at the Scarlet Restaurant was not a good one. I would very much like to discuss this with you further. Please could you e mail me a convenient contact number and time so I might contact you directly. I look forward to hearing from you. meeche.hudd@scarlethotel.co.uk

Kindest Regards
#1 of 9 in St Austell
The Oceanic Hotel
The Oceanic Hotel
#1 of 23 in Falmouth

Been to The Scarlet Hotel? Share your experiences!