“Never got to visit!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
London, United Kingdom
“Never got to visit!”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I tried to book this hotel for my friends birthday - their own website allowed me to book 5 rooms for 10 people, but when I phoned to request 6 rooms the hotel basically said that they had a no group policy over 6 people. The receptionist spoke to management and apparently it was a system error allowing you to book 5 rooms and it is up to management discretion if groups are allowed.
I am seasoned traveller having stayed in many 5star hotels and have never come accros a hotel which so actively discouraged my business. I feel this short sightedness on management's part demonstrates a lack of commercial awareness, let alone customer service - 6 rooms out of 37 is not stretching the hotels utilisation in any shape or form!
To management good luck sustaining your hotel revenue streams - neither I or the other 11 paying guests you turned away will be subsidising you!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank Chantal M
Alison B, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Oh what a shame you did not get to come down and stay - I have had a look at the dates in question and we were, unfortunately, too full at that time which I realise is disappointing. If you are thinking of planning another trip we have more flexibility later in the year.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We spent a lot to stay at the Scarlet for one night to have use of the spa. We wanted to have a really relaxing stay after a long few weeks at work and knowing the local area, we knew we would love views. We have stayed in many spa hotels around the world and expected a lot after all the reviews.

It was unfortunate that we did not receive the best welcome when we arrived, after waiting on the sofas with our luggage. Our tea was forgotten when we had been waiting for over half an hour and with the lack of 'official' reception, it meant that we had to peer around the corner when just wanting to ask another question!

When we booked a spa treatment, we were told upon arrival that the treatment would now have to be in our room as they had double booked. After agreeing as it was made difficult to say no, my husband later pointed out that it was cheeky as it is not the same as the use of a spa room and also restricted our own use of our hotel room. He then went back to the receptionist who very politely said she would sort it out. I was then told I would be able to have a foot massage on the floor of the room used for yoga! Again, very disappointing, which I think they realised. After about an hour, I was then approached near the pool area to be told they had rearranged things and I was now able to have my treatment in a treatment room. When entering the spa reception area, which many people walk through as it's a short route upstairs from some rooms, we were disappointed to find an open room. This could be so much more relaxing if maybe there was some chill out music to drown out the man snoring loudly in the hanging 'tent'. Such a shame as we had such a beautiful view and found it difficult to concentrate with such a noise! Many others felt the same about the noise and commented. When we came back to the spa area for our hot tub, we told the receptionist that our flip flops from the room were both for the same foot. We then were asked to hand them in and walk to the tub across the gravel path bare foot! The man looking after the tub, brought us new ones half an hour later.

These are the negatives we found and there are a few more! I hate complaining, especially when we were so excited and had high expectations for the hotel but I think it needs pointing out. At dinner, we asked for a bottle of the white wine which we had had a glass of whilst in the hot tub. The waitress came back to tell us that they had not written the wine down but would bring one to try. We agreed it was the same and asked for a bottle with dinner. It failed to come and we had to ask another waitress after 10 minutes and with our starters, whether it was on its way!

When you add up all the negatives, it actually is unreasonable. Either that, or we were really unlucky!

There were some wonderful aspects about the Scarlet: beautiful views from our room, a delicious meal (with the best pudding we have ever had!) and some really lovely staff.

The Scarlet could be amazing but just needs to pay more attention to detail, especially for the price it is charging. It does not compare to anything like the experience of similar hotels with similar prices (Calcot Manor, Barnsley House, Tresanton....)

We really hope it will........

3 Thank Devonflower40
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I was sorry to read about the lack of attention to detail you received - it sounds way below our usual level of service and please let me know if you are coming back to stay as I would love to meet with you and see what I could do to apologise. I have read your review out to the team and we shall all learn from this.
Dorset
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Stayed for three nights in a 'generous' room. First, the positives: Location lovely, with views out over Mawgan Porth Bay; food delicious (though sometimes portions were tiny); staff outstanding - very helpful and friendly withour exception. Now the negatives: very expensive - I guess you pay for the location; swimming pool very small - with two persons doing laps, not really room for more; waffle bathrobes drab and cheap - surprising! flip-flop 'slippers' acutely uncomfortable; not enough surfaces to lay things down in room; sliding glass doors had fingermarks and watermarks over them for our whole stay - not cleaned.

But we still had a lovely time - not sure I'd go back unless at a discounted price.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Redbaron4
So glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I have also passed on your feedback to the teams, it really does help us improve our service. Many thanks.
cornwall, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2013

The scarlet Hotel is a great place. I have never stayed in the hotel but have eaten twice here. Both occasions have been wonderful, the food is excellent, the drinks were excellent as was the service. The car park is extremely small but that is only a minor problem. For a fantastic special meal this is the place I would always come back to!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AAtkins0n
Thank you for your lovely comments about how much you enjoyed the food and drinks - I have passed them on to our Food and Beverage teams.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Morgan Porth is a pretty, small village with beach and dramatic cliffs. The Scarlet sits at the top of the cliff on one side. It's a modern timber building with plenty of glass and views to the beach and cliffs opposite. The hotel's car park is quite small, you may have to block somebody else in and hand over your keys to the hotel. The lobby has no reception desk. You enter, wait and a host appears, usually immediately. The lobby and the adjacent lounge have comfortable, stylishl, colourful furniture, some excellent artwork, a modern slate chimney breast with fire and large glass window of the view. The host takes you through your details, requirements and shows you around the hotel and to your room. All hosts were friendly and helpful during my stay. All staff throughout the hotel were wonderful. The restaurant and bar are also very attactive and thoughtfully designed spaces. The restaurant contains interesting furniture and lighting and again has that fabulous view. The bar has a few booths that are cosy for a drink and a light snack, with a darker more feminine feel but still as inviting as the lobby and restaurant. I had a coastal garden room. The rooms again have that view, but with coastal garden rooms, you are able to walk straight out towards the cliff top garden, a real advantage over those rooms above with a balcony. Compared with the rest of the hotel, the rooms leave the view to do the talking and are a bit sparser with design elements and features compared with the communal areas. Rooms are spacious in cream with light wooden furniture and furniture and floors and some pretty cream felt lighting features. Bathrooms are open plan at the back of the rooms with a bath and shower/toilet area. The bathrooms did have some brown/beige/cream mosaic tiling. I personally find mosaic tiling a bit of a lazy design statement. The shower was good quality. The hotel has its own range of toiletries, provided in room, that are lovely! There was a couple of turquoise feature chairs towards the window that enabled sitting indoors looking out towards the view and some fabulous plastic rocking chairs that were surprisingly comfortable, and a low table outside in the garden, with railway sleeper fences separating the rooms for privacy. Beds are very comfortable. One very negative point for myself is that the hotel has no air conditioning. Luckily for myself, when I visited it was cold. I wouldn't visit the hotel in warmer spring or summer months. Following showering, the room was too hot and the garden door had to be opened. In Summer, I would imagine the heat would get too uncomfortable. Another disadvantage is that unfortunately, in the coastal garden rooms, all the footsteps of the room above are heard. It's not a problem most of the time, but early in the morning, this is irritating!!! The Scarlet provide no facilities in room. Everything must be requested. This is lovely when it comes to requesting freshly made tea and coffee at any time. However, sometimes you just don't want to have to talk to anyone or see anyone!!! I also find requesting an iron and ironing board a pain in the backside. This should be a given in all hotel rooms. Breakfasts were excellent with lovely cooked breakfasts including a lighter meat free choice such as eggs florentines and continental items such as yogurts with beautiful fruits and delicious pain au chocolat. I also had a gorgeous cream tea in my little private coastal garden that I really enjoyed. The room service/bar menu was also lovely. I did find the cocktail menu particularly disappointing and poor value for money. The menu claimed "we don't stock everything a cocktail bar stocks". Well perhaps you should if you are charging £300 for a room and £12 for a cocktail? The Scarlet is a member of Design Hotels and therefore obviously expecting discerning clients. Other fashionable places nearby were charging half that for better drinks. Most of the cocktails were a simple one or two spirits and a soft drink. A mixologist consultation, menu overhaul, a bit of staff training and voila!!! The bar would be perfect!! I did make good use of the indoor pool at the hotel. It is quite small which would be expected for a 32 room hotel but there is little seating and space around the pool making it less inviting. There is also a good steam room that was not at all mouldy, as some can feel. The spa also has some cliff top hottubs that can be booked for a half hour session and really is a must!! Check Mr and Mrs Smith as by booking here, you get a free session with rooms the same price as direct on the hotel website. I did really enjoy staying at this hotel and would happily return in cooler months, however for the price of the rooms and the facilities, it did fall somewhat short of my expectations.

Room Tip: Coastal garden room.
2 Thank Ian G
Wow - what an amazingly detailed review of your stay and it was a joy to read how much you enjoyed most of the hotel and facilities. Your worry about staying in the summer we can solve, as we usually have a sea breeze being up on our cliff top and also have fans we can pop in your room - so we do hope to see you again soon.
Reviewed April 5, 2013

From the bed, you watch the sun set over a perfect sandy Cornish cove. Every detail of this hotel has been thought out to create the perfect romantic break.

The rooms are spacious, comfortable and clever, incorporating a bathroom behind the bedhead. Even the balconies have curvaceous stylish chairs so that you can enjoy them as part of the beautiful view. The public areas make the most of the hillside setting, but they never really feel public, whether you are relaxing in the bar or a cosy sitting room with fire, or having tea on the terraces.

Dinner in the restaurant was delicious but perhaps more sophisticated than it needed to be in this laid-back seaside setting. Breakfast was impeccable, from local apple juice to coffee and full cooked breakfast.

The staff were universally attentive but unobtrusive, finding the ideal balance of friendliness and service.

We walked around the coastal path for lunch at Watergate Bay, a bustling contrast to the serenity of Mawgan Porth itself. The views on the walk were absolutely stunning.

I also enjoyed a facial massage in the hotel spa. The spa itself is huge, with a wonderful relaxation space looking out over the outdoor pool (purified by reed beds, and looking more like a glamorous pond than a normal blue swimming pool). Indoor pool (not chlorinated), terrace area and yoga room, treatment rooms like bedouin tents and then a softly-lit relaxation room with hanging pods. Not only a great treatment, but a supremely relaxing experience.

The outside jacuzzis overlooking the bay looked enticing too...

We were lucky, being blessed with sunshine in the middle of a thoroughly miserable English Spring. But this hotel would be special whatever the weather, and we cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a beautifully described review of your recent relaxing stay with us - I have passed on your kind comments to the teams.
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for our anniversary, we have known about the hotel for a few years but as it is quite expensive we have never been brave enough to indulge! But as it was our anniversary we wanted somewhere special, and it was! We loved that it didn't have a reception and just sat by the fire whilst waiting to be seen, we arrived early to make the most of our time as we were only staying one night and luckily our room was ready an hour early, so one of the lovely friendly staff took us on a tour of the hotel then took us up to our room. I loved the fact they show you around the hotel as it makes it feel friendly and down to earth, (I have experienced in the past arriving at other expensive hotels feeling intimidated like I shouldn't be there!!)
We were going to book the unique room but at the last minute decided that as this is probally the only time we spent this sort of money on a hotel spa trip that we might as well go all out and go for the indulgent room!!
So pleased we did as it was amazing!! Huge room!! We had booked a hot tub in the afternoon which was lovely and had a drink in there overlooking the sea.
We spent time in the spa, we didn't have a treatment as we thought it was to expensive for us after paying out for the hotel, which is a shame as it is a lovely quiet area to really unwind.
We had dinner in the restaurant and this was lovely could not fault the food.
The best thing we spoke about that left the biggest impression once we had left is the staff, we feel anyone can make an amazing hotel with the best views, rooms, food, but if you get the type of staff wrong then it can ruin a place, we were made to feel welcome and at ease all the time, every member of staff spoke to us when we saw them, and it feels like they don't intrude on your stay, and nothing is to much trouble, so a big thank you everyone, you all made our stay relaxing for us, and the owners should feel proud of them!!!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Joozere
Alison B, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Wow! how lovely of you to write such a kind review of your stay with us - so glad we lived up to your expectations! If you do want to try the spa treatments one day do let us know as we do have 2 night spa offers on at times during the year, which are rather good value.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mawgan Porth
#1 of 9 in St Austell
St. Moritz Hotel
St. Moritz Hotel
#1 of 4 in Wadebridge

Been to The Scarlet Hotel? Share your experiences!