“Amazing hotel”

The Scarlet Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Mawgan Porth
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for our anniversary, we have known about the hotel for a few years but as it is quite expensive we have never been brave enough to indulge! But as it was our anniversary we wanted somewhere special, and it was! We loved that it didn't have a reception and just sat by the fire whilst waiting to be seen, we arrived early to make the most of our time as we were only staying one night and luckily our room was ready an hour early, so one of the lovely friendly staff took us on a tour of the hotel then took us up to our room. I loved the fact they show you around the hotel as it makes it feel friendly and down to earth, (I have experienced in the past arriving at other expensive hotels feeling intimidated like I shouldn't be there!!)
We were going to book the unique room but at the last minute decided that as this is probally the only time we spent this sort of money on a hotel spa trip that we might as well go all out and go for the indulgent room!!
So pleased we did as it was amazing!! Huge room!! We had booked a hot tub in the afternoon which was lovely and had a drink in there overlooking the sea.
We spent time in the spa, we didn't have a treatment as we thought it was to expensive for us after paying out for the hotel, which is a shame as it is a lovely quiet area to really unwind.
We had dinner in the restaurant and this was lovely could not fault the food.
The best thing we spoke about that left the biggest impression once we had left is the staff, we feel anyone can make an amazing hotel with the best views, rooms, food, but if you get the type of staff wrong then it can ruin a place, we were made to feel welcome and at ease all the time, every member of staff spoke to us when we saw them, and it feels like they don't intrude on your stay, and nothing is to much trouble, so a big thank you everyone, you all made our stay relaxing for us, and the owners should feel proud of them!!!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Joozere
Alison B, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Wow! how lovely of you to write such a kind review of your stay with us - so glad we lived up to your expectations! If you do want to try the spa treatments one day do let us know as we do have 2 night spa offers on at times during the year, which are rather good value.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,633)

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Scarlet, you are the best! I have travelled extensively around the world and stayed in lovely hotels but The Scarlet wins hands down. Staff are there when you need them but unobtrusive. A big thank you to both Lisa and Josie for been so lovely. Our Spacious room was brilliant with to die for views. The option of having a tea/coffee tray in your room is a great idea but to be honest, you supplied
fresh tea/coffee quicker than I could have made it, at anytime. Your dinners are wonderful and nothing was impossible when we asked to mix and match dinner options (please tell the Chef I loved the hog pudding). We have re-booked for in October and cannot wait. The Scarlet should be a template on how other hotels are run. Well done again and thanks for a memorable stay. You are simply the best hotel I have ever experienced. Helena P

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Helena P

How lovely to read about your recent stay and how much you enjoyed it all - I have passed on your comments to the teams and they look forward to your return in October!

Reviewed March 31, 2013

We booked the indulgence room 1 Anella (told it was the best room in the house) for my husband's birthday treat, to find on entering that the table set in front of the seating area in the room had not been cleaned prior to our arrival. A negative second impression. On approach to our room which is set apart with one other room on the opposite landing, very visibly at eye level as we climbed the open step stairs, there was a tray set on the floor directly outside the door. A negative first impression! Used by the previous occupants it remained there for several hours, despite that housekeeping came to wipe down the table in our room and ignored it, as had the person showing us to our room and the luggage valet!
Whilst the hotel has a stylish feel, it is looking a bit tired (worn patches on stairways and wooden floors and slightly grubby textiles in places) our balcony (with an uninterrupted sea view), needed power washing as the white paint was green in patches and the plastic furniture grubby, but the overall ambience is one of calm. That is until you become aware of the pounding feet. More of that later.
My biggest disappointment and criticism is with the quality of the bed or lack thereof. It was a very basic divan (though superking) with a feather mattress topper laid over it, which did little to engender real comfort. I would expect a quality mattress such as a vi-spring (local to Devon so extremely ECO with much natural materials ie wool, hemp) and very surprised to find the gorgeous pillows were imported from Germany! How eco is that Scarlet? Though I admit, having noted the details from the label, I am tempted to order some for myself ! They are plush, plump, feather with eco cotton covers. Well done Scarlet for getting this so right! Please address the bed issue before we would consider a return visit.
The grouting in the shower room is dirty, discoloured with soap scum, negligent and unnecessary (we also run a B&B bedandbreakfastdevon.org and recommend a steam cleaner for both eco properties and efficiency), and the very powerful extractor fan stayed on all night. Whilst this might be very effective for the reduction of condensation and maintaining the fabric of the building, it was so disruptive as to awaken my husband who could not get back to sleep. With no tea or coffee making facilities in the bedroom he was reluctant to disrupt my sleep further (as I had been restless and uncomfortable and awakened several) times and so waited several hours until I awoke and felt sorry for his plight and rang down early for the pre ordered tray. We do not provide trays in our B&B bedrooms because of risk to children scalding, but Scarlet prides itself on being an "adult only " hotel (encouraging you to walk around barefoot in the same breath). However, he was able to work on his laptop via fast connected broadband which is included in the price. Another plus for the Scarlet.
The robes provided in the bedrooms (thin and too short even for me at 5'5") are expected to be used when you go down to the spa and my husband was sent back to fetch the ugly brown flip flops, (supplied in a bag in the wardrobe of which we were not made aware), when we went down to attend for our complimentary hot tub. We presented ourselves well before the appointed time of 6 pm, but were collected several minutes late and our half hour soak turned out to be approximately 18 minutes!! Our tub was placed slightly off centre to the one behind and though there are beach breaker upstands planted in the ground, afforded no privacy whatsoever from the couple behind. The fact that we were not given a fresh robe from the spa area meant that we had to wear soaking wet robes to return to our room. We were encouraged to not shower to "absorb the benefits of the seaweed" added to the tub, but there was such a strong chlorine presence that we daren't! Also my husband went for a swim and within minutes his eyes were stinging and bloodshot from the amount of chlorine in the (very small) pool. Surely, this is not the most eco friendly method of providing a swimming facility!! We have a pool which uses Oxygen tablets. There is no spinning machine to dry your swim suit which meant carrying a dripping costume upstairs and once inside the changing room, you need to go back to reception for a towel which was not offered before going into the hot tub.

We had dinner and it was actually faultless with good size portions and unusual quirky dessert. I had the cheese board which consisted of three cheeses and again generous portions of each. The wine list is extensive and expensive. We were charged £10 for a single glass of unimpressive bubbly in the tub.

We had booked 90 minute treatments at £95 each for next morning and when 40 minutes of these were used up in "consultation" ie filling out forms and discussing our body types "dosha" (and yes I am fully aware it's Ayurvedic, but this IS excessive when one pays for a hands on treatment), we were both dismayed. I was not disappointed in the treatment (Ayurvedic massage) when it came (with Sarah), however as she has a lovely temperament and calming gentle approach and agreed to a full body massage (which I desperately needed after the uncomfortable bed). I would choose to have a treatment with her again, though not at this price (unless it was a one and a half hour ACTUAL massage, as it is extremely misleading.
The spa treatment area is unique in my experience (bedouin tent style) and its deliberately darkened ambience, a contrast to the bright, light filled open areas of the living, dining and sleeping quarters is a resounding success in inducing a still mind. Again Scarlet well done. However, you need to address the pounding footsteps overhead the lovely post-treatment area.
This is a room where those lovely canvas pods (very creaky to get into until settled and I want one please), hang and the idea is to float in an induced relaxing atmosphere further prolonging the benefits of your treatment. This is a commendable idea in principle, but as I was waiting for my husband to have his treatment which followed mine (this I feel really ought to have been fitted in tandem, but I booked only two days beforehand), I had plenty of time to be aware of the resounding noise of feet travelling back and forth on the floor above. This utterly defeats the objective and needs to be addressed Scarlet.
The staff are well presented, and respectful, the spa and restaurant staff especially so, but there should be awareness of every role ie SOMEONE should have taken that tray down from in front of our door BEFORE we arrived and several people afterward had the opportunity to remove it and did not. I can understand why they try to encourage people to walk around barefoot to minimise the reverberation a flaw in the building's design and structure, but in my opinion this is not hygienic.
Finally, my husband left a pair of very nice (new) pyjama bottoms in the bedroom and they have failed to find them so far, though they say they may have gone to the laundry. It is quite possible they have been bundled up in the bedlinen but they are black cotton and pretty highly visible, one would think. I hope to hear that they have found them in the next few days.
It would be unfair to say you are "all show and no trousers" but there are aspects that need addressing (vitally: the bed, cleanliness, eco friendly pool and tub, noise (overhead the relaxation area particularly but other places as well as in the restaurant) if you are to maintain the standard that you have set for yourself Scarlet. Overall, I feel you must not just depend on your fantastic location and stylishness of the building but strive to deliver the perfect experience. Nearly there, but not quite Scarlet.

4  Thank Dolores M
Alison B, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your recent stay, I was pleased to read you had such a lovely stay overall. I have noted your comments on where our service did not come up to our usual high standards and I have gone through the points you raised with the relevant teams. Your feedback is greatly appreciated, it does really help us to deliver consistency . I agree with you about the spectacular position of the Scarlet it really is a wonderful place to be every day. I want to assure you we are committed to delivering an exceptional experience to all our guests!

Reviewed March 29, 2013

The Scarlet Hotel was discovered on a hotel booking site, as we were travelling around Cornwall, and booking accomodation near where we wanted to go next. We booked one of the cheaper rooms, but on the basis that the reviews were good and we did not want to stay in Newquay.

On arriving the setting was obviously stunning. A small car park but we found a space no problem, can see this being an issue peak season though. On entering we were warmly greeted by Lisa, who made us feel instantly at ease. The hotel staff pride themselves on their do anything for anyone, and I think some of the reviews saying otherwise were from guests not wishing to ask. However, I personally like this as when I want to be left alone, I can be.

We were given the full orientation, and the decor, ambience and facilities are all top notch, and our room had a great view of the sea. Turns out they all do though and the design of the hotel is such that it makes the most of this.

Now we did not stay for long, just one night. The Spa looked amazing and I was sad that I did not get to use the pool, but do wish to on a return stay. The Eco credentials for the hotel are great and the luxury does not suffer as a result.

The only downside for us was the food. We were tired from a long day and chose to eat in the hotel instead of going out. Being advised to book a table, I did call reception for an 8:00pm booking where I was told they would check and phone back. There was no call, but when I chased was confirmed for 8:15. TBH a petty thing that did not annoy too much.

We went to the bar for a pre meal drink and can attest that the wine list and spirit selection is great, with a lot of thought put in to it. Having been asked if we were taking dinner, I was surprised we were not told when our table was ready or escorted down, and had to make our own way down. However the Maitre'D was charming and friendly and she showed us to the table right away.

When our order was taken, my wife and I ordered the wood pigeon starter but asked for no beetroot, the pork loin and belly sharing platter and the recommended wine for each course.

Long story short we found the meat lacked depth of flavour in each course. Although visually good, flavour was absent. We also only received the wine for the starter, and did not receive any wine for the rest of the meal, but the main course wine was included in the bill. This was however removed quickly on pointing it out. I would recommend until the hotel improves its food offering that you look for meals elsewhere, with plenty on offer in Padstow and at Driftwood at similar pricing. Also if you are seated at a table in the middle of the floor, you will bounce with every passing of waiting staff.

One surprising element was also breakfast, as for a Hotel that prides itself on it's relaxed informality the formal breakfast was quite awkward. Not being able to select cold items from a buffet really stops you from grazing. Now the staff would have no issue with your ordering many items but I would have preferred to have just been left to get on with putting my own continental together.

However, our rating reflects that it is still a great venue, with great settings and rooms and brilliant customer service from the staff 90% of the time. Well worth a visit and we will return.

1  Thank PDryden

What a lovely review! Thank you so much for taking the time to write it, I have passed on your lovely comments to the teams - who look forward to your return trip.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

It's all been said before ! Calm , relaxing hotel . No need to dress up if you don't want to -- a bonus when you want to travel light . The Spa is a very special place . Highly recommend the
" Spa Journey " , we were impressed by the standard of the therapists . The early morning classes are fun , try the Transformational Dance , it was a real workout ! We were expecting the food to be good but it was more than that -- no need to go to Padstow , the chef here really knows what he is doing . We plan to return ......

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your really kind review of your recent stay and I have just popped down to tell Tom (our head chef) how much you thought of his food. The kitchen were all very chuffed to hear!

Reviewed March 28, 2013

This hotel is just 'out of this world' and you receive an 'out of this world' experience yourself once you've visited this amazing place. The position of this hotel which overlooks the bay where all the rooms get a sea view is idyllic. The hotel design throughout is exquisite and very well maintained.
The Spa offers a wonderful array of treatments and 'journeys' for singles and couples wishing to indulge themselves in some lovely pampering time, including the hot tub that juts out on the rocks overlooking the sea!!
Relaxing and chilling is definitely the theme here and a super idea for birthdays, hen do's, anniversaries etc...
The staff are friendly, approachable and very helpful with nothing being too much trouble. The food and service in the restaurant is second to none; each day I couldn't wait to see the choice of this 'modern British' style cuisine offered on their menu. Once again the restaurant has views out towards the sea with an outside terrace for use in the warmer weather.
I defy anyone not to have a totally unforgettable experience here.This was our 2nd visit to this hotel and we intend to return later in the year...after all...we deserve a little 'us' time!!

Room Tip: There are 4 styles of rooms here, each one has a sea view with terrace although the smaller rooms ha...