“A real local pub with good food”

Earl of Chatham Inn
Earl of Chatham Inn
Ranked #5 of 13 Lostwithiel B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

On the hill to the north of the town lies the pub amongst a terrace of houses, the staff were very welcoming the beer decent and the small restaurant had a good menu. 6 of us had starters and mains and we all commented on the quality of the meal. Definitely recommended if you want a good pub meal!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Yoda-the-Navigator
There are newer reviews for Earl of Chatham Inn

Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

Visited this lovely pub a few times during our stay in Liskard. Great menu to chose from and food was excellent. Nice beer garden. Best part( if on a doggie holiday, like us) the dogs were welcome in too. Will def visit again on our next holiday.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Sharon F
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We have just returned from a four night stay at the Earl of Chatham, Lostwithiel. Nothing to complain about - the service and the friendly staff are what makes this place. As previous reviews have stated it is a locals pub but everyone makes you feel welcome. Please do not go here if you expect a quiet peaceful evening in your room (it is an Inn after all and therefore can be noisy up until 11.30ish). If you are aware of this before you go then you will be fine. Our room was a decent size with a decent size bathroom. The bed was two zip and link singles so nice and big. Our window opened onto the road. Breakfast was ok. I am fussy about certain things and the sausages were cheap so I couldn't eat them and the coffee wasn't great but they are small criticisms. The Inn is within walking distance of all Lostwithiel has to offer (it's a quiet small town). Would we return again if we were in the area? Yes probably. Thanks to the staff for being so customer focussed.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bolton2013
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We Stayed at the Earl of Chatham 4th/6th July, the rooms are clean and tidy and the bed comfortable. We ate here one night, I had Vegetable lasagne and my husband has Beef pie which was very tasty. This is a locals pub but everyone was friendly, there was a birthday party the next night of our stay but this didn't cause us any problems and we would stay again. The staff are very friendly and helpful and the breakfast was very nicely cooked.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank elizabethsaxby
Reviewed July 2, 2013

My boyfriend and I headed to Cornwall for a concert at The Eden Project. We stayed at The Earl of Chatham for 3 nights from 28th June 2013. We had a fantastic time. Our room was clean and well presented, the staff were lovely and the food was great!! We mingled in with the locals at the pub and were treated to a right good time. Everyone was so friendly and we shared many laughs in the pub garden with some fantastic people. On our last morning we were a little hungover following a great night at the concert. Jackie was happy to let us keep our room until we were up to the drive home, even though check out should have been at 10am. Overall, this is a hostelry to be recommended and we will definately be back. Thanks to Jackie, her team and the lovely locals in Losthwithiel!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sharon h
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Had dinner here with a colleague.
Firstly we were greeted with zero enthusiasm and informed that all the restaurant tables were booked.
My starter, Brie wedges, was overcooked to the extent that 2 of the 3 were missing their filling. Surely the 'chef' noticed this - but served them anyway.
Main course of king prawns - overcooked and rubbery and served in a dish of water rather than garlic butter.
Finally the garlic bread was flabby not crisp so I guess it had been microwaved.

All served with complete indifference by the waitress. Didn't even bother to ask whether we were happy with our meals.

They claim home cooked food - I suspect freezer to microwave.

To be avoided - there is much better pub food in Lostwithiel for the same price - try the Globe or Oak.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank TykeTraveller1987
EarlofChatham L, Manager at Earl of Chatham Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

I am sorry this couple did not enjoy their meal. I would like to say that their comments about the food that evening could well be true on this odd occasion, as there was an emergency for the chef (me) that day and another member of staff filled in, but that is as far as this apology goes. You were fitted in the bar, as like you said all tables were booked, and therefore it was not a restaurant scenario. We were extremely busy that night so you did not get restaurant and personal service in the public bar. Quiz night was about to begin||| As for our food not being homecooked. How dare this person make that judgement on one meal that was not quite right. Our food is homecooked. I should know - I cook it.!! From pies, chillies, curries to lasanges everyone home cooked. Even our chips are not frozen. I painstakingly peel potatoes and chip them. To be truthful I feel really quite angry with the comments left by this person. I work very hard and on the whole we have a good reputation for our food and for this misinformed person to tell all and sundry our food is not home cooked and to avoid us is quite untrue and unforgiveable.

Signed by Jackie Truscott - For Earl of Chatham ( I give my name, I wonder if you can give yours)

Reviewed August 30, 2012

My young son & I stayed in the Earl of Chatham for 5 nights between the 23rd-28th August, we were met by a very friendly young lady called Kate who showed us to our room which was very clean & was perfect for our needs.
The friendly welcome we recieved put my 5 year old son at ease straight away, everyone we came into contact with whether it was at breakfast or during the day were very polite & very much interested in what we were doing during our stay.
A friend of ours stayed at the Earl of Chatham last year & recommended them to me & we wasn't disappointed, the staff, the pub, the food was all up to a high standard & there's no question where we will be staying next time we come to Lostwithiel.
Thank you Jackie, Kelly, Kate & everyone who made our first stay in Lostwithiel one to remember, look forward to seeing you all next year.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Elsie P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lostwithiel
Royal Oak Inn
#1 of 13 in Lostwithiel
The Old Ferry Inn
The Old Ferry Inn
#4 of 25 in Fowey

Been to Earl of Chatham Inn? Share your experiences!