“There are much better meals on offer elsewhere” 1 of 5 bubbles

Earl of Chatham Inn
Earl of Chatham Inn
Ranked #6 of 14 Lostwithiel B&B and Inns
Derbyshire
“There are much better meals on offer elsewhere”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

Had dinner here with a colleague.
Firstly we were greeted with zero enthusiasm and informed that all the restaurant tables were booked.
My starter, Brie wedges, was overcooked to the extent that 2 of the 3 were missing their filling. Surely the 'chef' noticed this - but served them anyway.
Main course of king prawns - overcooked and rubbery and served in a dish of water rather than garlic butter.
Finally the garlic bread was flabby not crisp so I guess it had been microwaved.

All served with complete indifference by the waitress. Didn't even bother to ask whether we were happy with our meals.

They claim home cooked food - I suspect freezer to microwave.

To be avoided - there is much better pub food in Lostwithiel for the same price - try the Globe or Oak.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank TykeTraveller1987
EarlofChatham L, Manager at Earl of Chatham Inn, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
I am sorry this couple did not enjoy their meal. I would like to say that their comments about the food that evening could well be true on this odd occasion, as there was an emergency for the chef (me) that day and another member of staff filled in, but that is as far as this apology goes. You were fitted in the bar, as like you said all tables were booked, and therefore it was not a restaurant scenario. We were extremely busy that night so you did not get restaurant and personal service in the public bar. Quiz night was about to begin||| As for our food not being homecooked. How dare this person make that judgement on one meal that was not quite right. Our food is homecooked. I should know - I cook it.!! From pies, chillies, curries to lasanges everyone home cooked. Even our chips are not frozen. I painstakingly peel potatoes and chip them. To be truthful I feel really quite angry with the comments left by this person. I work very hard and on the whole we have a good reputation for our food and for this misinformed person to tell all and sundry our food is not home cooked and to avoid us is quite untrue and unforgiveable.

Signed by Jackie Truscott - For Earl of Chatham ( I give my name, I wonder if you can give yours)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

My young son & I stayed in the Earl of Chatham for 5 nights between the 23rd-28th August, we were met by a very friendly young lady called Kate who showed us to our room which was very clean & was perfect for our needs.
The friendly welcome we recieved put my 5 year old son at ease straight away, everyone we came into contact with whether it was at breakfast or during the day were very polite & very much interested in what we were doing during our stay.
A friend of ours stayed at the Earl of Chatham last year & recommended them to me & we wasn't disappointed, the staff, the pub, the food was all up to a high standard & there's no question where we will be staying next time we come to Lostwithiel.
Thank you Jackie, Kelly, Kate & everyone who made our first stay in Lostwithiel one to remember, look forward to seeing you all next year.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Elsie P
Pendle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

My family & I were staying in St. Austel for the week & decided to try The Earl of Chatham on the Thursday evening whilst on our travels around the area. We were very glad that we did! We were pleasantly surprised to find such a warm, friendly pub with a lovely atmosphere. Our meal was absolutely fantastic. The lady behind the bar was friendly & helpful as was the waitress. We will definitely be back next year & would highly recommend The Earl of Chatham to anyone thinking of visiting the area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Lilysnow
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

Came upon this pub by chance whilst heading for Leryn (beautiful spot by the river fowey). It is on the outskirts of Lostwithiel. We sat in the quite spacious beer garden and had lunch. We had the Jumbo Haddock and chips and peas and the Scampi chips and peas. They were not joking when they said Jumbo, the fish was hanging over the plate at both ends. It was delicious, cooked beautifully, still lovely and moist and the batter was superb. Large amount of scampi perfectly cooked. Chips were superb. Great pub food highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Caroline P
Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2012

The Earl of Chatham is situated on the edge of town. It has a large car park at the rear, a beer garden with a shelter for the smokers. On arrival we were made very welcome by Kate. The pub has a very rural look, a log fire burning in the grate and candles on the mantle shelf. It is a very clean and tidy pub with a decent size retaurant. We were shown to our ensuite room
where there was lovely white towels on the bed. The room had a homely feel and the bed was extremely comfortable.
We dined in the restaurant on both nights, the service was good, the food was well presented, and the menu had plenty of choice. I can recommend the steak and ale pie - large portions of home cooked food, thanks to Jackie. There are some good real ales very well kept and most enjoyable. Overall Jackie and Kate make you feel welcome and we will certainly go back there again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2012

My husband and I went on holiday to cornwall to follow in the footsteps of my ancestors. We are from New Zealand so were very keen to find a warm and welcome place to rejuvenate and get back to normal, after the long hours travelling. We were very happy with the warm welcome we received from Katie and Jackie. The rooms were very clean, with fresh towels, tea, coffee, TV etc. We ate in the restaurant and could not of been happier: there was a wide variety of meals to choose from with some excellent specials on offer. The portions were large and the food was very very tasty. As was the local beer which my husband was very fond of. The locals were interested in where we came from and wanted to help out with our adventure in finding the places my ancestors came from. After our meal we were able to relax next to a working fire which was sweet as! We got a very restful nights sleep which was needed. The breakfast again was very tasty, we had a lot of choice and could choose exactly what we wanted. We enjoyed are stay here so much that we decided to stay for one more night before heading further down into Cornwall. The landladies and the locals really made sure that we fitted in and made us feel more than welcome! A little gem we thought in the heart of Cornwall!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ELMauck
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2010

The Earl of Chatham is on the edge of town, and if you have to stay in Lostwithiel, there really is not a lot choice, the only other alternative insists on two nigh’ts minimum stay. So if you need be in the town for one night, the Earl of Chatham is the only place to go.
It has a sizable car park at the back, and you can walk past the sheltered designated smoking area and enter the Inn without having to walk around to the front. The welcome I received from Kelly was first class; in fact all dealings with her were totally pleasant. All in all it is a really friendly Inn, complete with some nice locals.
The food could not be better, I had the mixed grill and it was just superb, every item was cooked beautifully and the price was just £12-95.
The beer is spectacular, St Ives brewery real ale, they had Tribute, and two other ales that were perfectly kept and served.
My room was really nice; it was a twin en suite, nice and warm, very comfortable bed, and a nice hot shower. I paid only £65 for the room and that is very cheap.
You may read other reports about the noise, well the locals do sing along to same Dean Martin song many times in the evening, but some do sing well and in tune. The noise is generated from the lazy smokers, who will not walk out the back to the designated smoking area, but step just out the front door and smoke and clown about until very late. If I lived there, I would certaintly want the lanlord to enforce the use of the designated smoking area at the rear. I must also point out, they supply ear plugs to aid your sleep from the smokers noise.
I cannot wait to return to eat the food and drink the beer.

Richard Kaminski.