“I couldn't Pencubitt!”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Liskeard
London, United Kingdom
“I couldn't Pencubitt!”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

What can I say? Lovely house, great location close to the station, yet still in the rolling hills. Clive and his lovely wife were the perfect hosts. Great brekkie. My room (no.6) was the right size for me on my own, and they had provided everything I could possibly need.

My only complaint (one which I can't mark them down for) was the neighbour's cockerel in the morning. Not a lot to be done about that though ...

Please go, stay, talk to Clive and you won't regret it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I did not have to think twice about staying here again during my recent visit to Liskeard.

Everything that had made my previous stay enjoyable had not changed - the pristine accommodation and surroundings, sumptuous cooked breakfasts, and the engaging care of Clive and Dorette. This time, I took the king room with the balcony and was rewarded with glorious and peaceful views of the countryside..

If you are traveling to Cornwall, stop at Pencubitt for a dose of warm hospitality.

Room Tip: If you can, get the king room with the large balcony.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on Wednesday night and was warmly greeted by Clive who checked me in and showed me to my room. I stayed in room 7 which had a beautiful view. The room was spotlessly clean with an extremely comfortable bed. The free wifi worked perfectly. At breakfast I had a nice chat with Dorette. The cooked breakfast was delicious and the coffee lovely and strong.
I mostly stay in large hotels during business trips but this made a very nice change and would not only recommend it but would also stay here again.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We have just returned from a few days leisure break in Cornwall and despite changeable weather we had a fantastic time. We stumbled upon Pencubitt on Google and it stood out immediately because of the website, which is excellent. On arrival, it is quite breath taking. A wonderfully kept building in beautiful grounds.

The hotel is stunning. We stayed in room 9 - at the top of the house. The room is fantastic, with plenty of room and stunning views over fields. We chose that room from the pictures on the website, and we were absolutely delighted with it. Total peace and quiet, which is what we wanted.

The owners, Dorette and Clive are charming and cannot do enough to make you feel welcome. They run the hotel with pride, energy and enthusiasm and are without doubt the best hosts of any hotel we have stayed in, here or abroad.

Clive's cooked breakfast is truly something that everyone should enjoy. All locally sourced produce, and boy can you taste the difference!

So in summary, we cannot recommend this hotel and it's owners highly enough. Superb accommodation set in beautiful grounds, wonderful hosts, amazing breakfast.

If you are thinking of a break in Cornwall, this must be at the top of your short list. The only thing you will regret is if you choose to stay somewhere else.

Thank you for a wonderful few days.

Bridie and Darren

Room Tip: All the rooms look nice but room 9 is big with amazing views. At the top of the house but worth the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Another wonderful stay at the Pencubitt.
In our regular visits to the St. Austell area to visit family we couldn't stay anywhere else.
Clive and Dorette are excellent hosts and their hotel is second to none.
The breakfast is exemplary (thank you Clive) and the rooms are spotlessly clean and beautifully furnished the beds are so comfortable you just don't want to get up in the morning!!
Of course... those views of the Looe Valley - well, what can you say - opening the curtains to the stunning scenery is the best start to any day.
See you again soon Pencubitt.
Olive & Graham

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Brewster, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Beautifully furnished rooms with excellent amenities and great bathrooms and serving superb breakfasts. The beds are exceptionally comfortable, the rooms are very nicely furnished, the guest lounge is a delight, with lots of comfortable areas, plenty of light and lots to read - plus a nice bar if needed. The breakfasts are amazing - everything you could want in fresh fruits, cereals and yoghurt, plus whatever you select for a cooked breakfast, prepared to perfection by Clive. Just remember, if you want the kippers, to let him know the day before! The setting is peaceful, just on the edge of town, overlooking the countryside.

I arrived without a booking late one afternoon in March 2013, and was immediately welcomed and offered choices of rooms. (Of course, when the season gets going, you will probably need a booking.) It was a marvellous place to relax. They do not serve evening meals, but have a detailed guide to all the excellent local alternatives, and will happily help you select and reserve. There's free wi-fi, but coverage in bedrooms is patchy due to very thick walls. If there's a problem, do the electronic communication in the lounge, where the signal is fine. There's also an internet-connected computer that guests can use.

Room Tip: Some have baths with hand showers, others just showers - your preference there may determine which r...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Peasmould
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I cannot speak highly enough of this hotel. Very comfortable, scrupulously clean, and above all the excellent service. I had to leave early in the morning before breakfast and Clive provided me with a 'packed breakfast to eat' This was way beyond the service which is normally provided. I was in Cornwall on business but I shall make the effort to go back there. Many thanks

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Faircross
Also consider these accommodations in or near Liskeard
Talland Bay Hotel
Fowey Hall
Fowey Hall
#1 of 3 in Fowey
The Old Quay House Hotel

Been to Pencubitt House? Share your experiences!