“Good value”

Dining options: Reservations
Plymouth, Devon
“Good value”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Just back from this establishment. I tried mine host's recommended steak and kidney pie which contained tender meat. My wife tried the steak and it really was medium rare, as requested. A real fire most welcome.

Remember, this is several miles east of Liskeard and, therefore, a good stopping point on any journey in or out of the county.

• Visited December 2012
3 Thank plymouth

Somerset, United Kingdom
“Great food & service”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

We called in for a mid week lunch out of the holiday season and despite being quiet we were made very welcome, logs added to fire and food order taken, in a very reasonable time the food came and it was really fresh, massive in quantity and very tasty (the gammon ham in the plowman's was about the best we have ever had!).
If I had to find fault it would be the decor is work in progress but with food this good and so reasonably priced it's not a fault!

• Visited October 2012
8 Thank L0GCH0PPER
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Not Just a Pub and a Restaurant!”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We used to drop in The Butcher's Arms weekly on their Quiz Night and got to know the Landlord and his family pretty well over that time. We have always enjoyed a friendly welcome and have sampled various dishes from the varied menu, all of which have been excellent. We dropped in again this week, along with our motor home, and availed ourselves of the facilities for campers during our overnight stay. There is a newly built shower block which is spotless and cannot be faulted. Sometimes there is live music on offer in the evening.. We can highly recommend a visit to this place - you will not be disappointed!

7 Thank Pauline54_12
Newcastle
“Great service”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We visited recently on a Sunday for a roast dinner. We were greeted by a friendly gentleman who served us our drinks and took our food orders. In fact he was polite and courteous throughout our visit and I could not fault the service in this respect.

The inside dining area is small with about 5 or 6 tables but we were the only ones in the dining area when we arrived. The inside is typical of a very old Cornish pub with stone walls, old wall paper and dated curtains. It smells a little musty and there are a few cobwebs and some dusty shelves above the fireplace. However, I am sure the dated decor is deliberate to keep with the theme of the building.

We were the only people waiting for our meals and it took about 30 minutes to come. The portion was very generous with a massive helping of meat and lots of vegetables. It was a little bland for my liking, I felt that the vegetables lacked flavour and I am convinced the swede and carrot mash and yorkshire puds were aunt bessies but I can't be sure. The meat was tasty though. My husband did not enjoy his roast dinner at all, but a couple who came just after us told us that they enjoyed theres so I think it really is down to individual taste.

The meal was cheap though at £6.95 compared to roast dinners in other pubs in the area where you are looking at about a tenner.

The menu had a selection of meals available from lasagne to fishcakes. The only thing that I disliked about the menus were that they were paper leaflets and were all covered in splashes of food/gravy. It turned by stomach a little so I think it would be an idea for them to be laminated.

If you like the sort of pub where you feel like you have gone back in time then this is perfect. If you prefer a more modern feel then I would avoid it. Ignore bad reviews about the service though as this was excellent, we were asked if we enjoyed the food and there was no fuss when we asked for extra sauces etc.

7 Thank Newvastlemonkey
Cornwall
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 2,328 helpful votes
“Old pub, basic food, mood varies.”
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Pity the management don't put up some photos to give an idea of how this place looks. We have stopped off a couple of times. It's not fancy or flash but feels OK. Have met with both friendly and disinterested responses but never unpleasant. The food is OK for a pub. No more nor less the we expected. We'd have no hesitation stopping off again.

7 Thank DougalM_12