“Great service”

Butchers Arms
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We visited recently on a Sunday for a roast dinner. We were greeted by a friendly gentleman who served us our drinks and took our food orders. In fact he was polite and courteous throughout our visit and I could not fault the service in this respect.

The inside dining area is small with about 5 or 6 tables but we were the only ones in the dining area when we arrived. The inside is typical of a very old Cornish pub with stone walls, old wall paper and dated curtains. It smells a little musty and there are a few cobwebs and some dusty shelves above the fireplace. However, I am sure the dated decor is deliberate to keep with the theme of the building.

We were the only people waiting for our meals and it took about 30 minutes to come. The portion was very generous with a massive helping of meat and lots of vegetables. It was a little bland for my liking, I felt that the vegetables lacked flavour and I am convinced the swede and carrot mash and yorkshire puds were aunt bessies but I can't be sure. The meat was tasty though. My husband did not enjoy his roast dinner at all, but a couple who came just after us told us that they enjoyed theres so I think it really is down to individual taste.

The meal was cheap though at £6.95 compared to roast dinners in other pubs in the area where you are looking at about a tenner.

The menu had a selection of meals available from lasagne to fishcakes. The only thing that I disliked about the menus were that they were paper leaflets and were all covered in splashes of food/gravy. It turned by stomach a little so I think it would be an idea for them to be laminated.

If you like the sort of pub where you feel like you have gone back in time then this is perfect. If you prefer a more modern feel then I would avoid it. Ignore bad reviews about the service though as this was excellent, we were asked if we enjoyed the food and there was no fuss when we asked for extra sauces etc.

7  Thank Newvastlemonkey

Reviewed August 10, 2012

Pity the management don't put up some photos to give an idea of how this place looks. We have stopped off a couple of times. It's not fancy or flash but feels OK. Have met with both friendly and disinterested responses but never unpleasant. The food is OK for a pub. No more nor less the we expected. We'd have no hesitation stopping off again.

7  Thank DougalM_12
Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

We recently moved close by and have eaten here a few times. The welcome i can honestly say has been nothing but friendly, welcoming and extremely accomodating. We have four children who have very different tastes and the menu is diverse and has something for everyone. so far I have personally sampled the fish cakes, chilli and the fish and chips, all delicious, freshly prepared and excellent value for money, i sincerely doubt you will find finer chips anywhere! I would definately recommend giving the Butchers a try, you wont be disappointed!

7  Thank Helen100170
Reviewed July 17, 2012

In recent times as the Landlord of the Butchers Arms we have had a series of negative comments about us being unfriendly and unwelcoming. Please come and find out for yourselves I assure you all our customers are met in a friendly manner both old and new.

3  Thank nobbyclark218
Reviewed July 16, 2012

This was the highlight of our holiday.Lovely old pub.A warm welcome,friendly but not intrusive.Excellent food_ something for all tastes and what must be the best chips in the world! Staff very helpful and obliging.Great value.This will definitely be a regular stop for us when we make our monthly visit to Cornwall.Sheila,Teresa and Joan,

6  Thank ouyhampton