“The best nights sleep I've ever had!”
Review of Friary Manor Hotel

Friary Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kingsand
Kent
“The best nights sleep I've ever had!”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Coming from a busy town I wasn't ready for the silence of a rural village at night, and as a result I slept like a log!

We stayed with friends at the Friary Manor Hotel for a long weekend and were in and out of the place at all the time. The rooms were clean and tidy, the breakfast was lovely and the local knowledge of the staff was a real help throughout our stay.

The service we recieved from the staff was great and I will definately be going back when work allows and have already recommended for friends to do the same!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Nickandjen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Have just returned from a long weekend with friends at Friary Manor and feel compelled to leave a review. This independent and characterful hotel is situated in Maker overlooking the sea and gave us excellent access to all the local attractions and beaches - Kingsand/Cawsand and their lovely pubs being a definite attraction for our group!! The rooms are clean and comfortable with all the usual tea making/tv facilities and are all very individually decorated (we all had a good nose around each others rooms to see who got best pick!!).

The food is excellent and very reasonably priced and the staff are all very courteous and helpful.

Would recommend to anyone really. We will definitely return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MattW1967
Newquay
Reviewed April 25, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here as we were attending a wedding nearby.

The hotel was clean with really comfy beds and lots of quirkiness.

Staff were helpful when we arrived.

Showers were awful, you either get boiling or freezing, no in between.

We got charged an extra £15 per couple (there were 4) as we wanted to check in at 1130 as we had to be at the wedding venue for 1230. I wasn't told about this when i rang and wasn't very happy as my confirmation email said check in was at 1130 anyway!

Breakfast was good and the staff were happy to cook for our friends who were late down.

All in all a lovely setting and it did the job!

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank jenners27
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Cosy and quirky hotel with lots of character. The rooms were clean and tidy and the setting was beautiful! The staff were really friend and helpful and cooked a lovely breakfast including a special breakfast roll for one of our group who was too hung-over to get out of bed!! All in all a very pleasant stay ... so much more enjoyable than staying at a soulless chain hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ellie J
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2011

A Grade 11 listed Country House Hotel dating back to 1625 yet it has so much charm character and warmth mainly due to the owners. The extensive grounds surround the hotel amongst such beautiful scenery where wild deer freely roam and it is indescribably quiet.

The Rame Peninsula is a hidden gem in Cornwall and Friary Manor is down a drive almost hidden from the road in an area of outstanding natural beauty. To the east is a coastal path and a short walk to the historic fishing villages of Kingsand and Cawsand unspoilt by time with colour washed cottages in narrow streets together with its safe beaches for a variety of water activities.

To the west a short walk past Maker Church into the 800 acres of Mount Edgcumbe Park, the House well worth a visit, together with the sawmill and rare bat sanctuary followed by a break for coffee at the Orangery within the formal gardens. Nearby is Cremyll with a walk on ferry to the Mayflower Steps in Plymouth. The car ferry running regularly from Torpoint to Plymouth.

The bedrooms at Friary Manor Hotel are really comfortable with so much space to breathe and to enjoy the surroundings with one of the many benefit of not being able to receive a mobile telephone signal which added to our peace and quiet.

The willingness of the owners’ to accommodate guests is a unique character, reminiscent of being a home from home experience and one can understand how it is an ideal atmosphere for Wedding receptions. The breakfast menu is extensive and personally cooked for you so one can appreciate it may take time, meals are available in the evenings, to order as they are cooked for you by an excellent chef. Sunday lunches are really quality and value for money and Cornish teas a must.

Understandably there are no evening meals served on Sunday and the Hotel is closed on Monday apart from guests but this we felt added to our stay for it becomes even more peaceful if that is possible.

We can quite understand some of the previous remarks made but this is surely the very unique nature and desire to help all the visitors of Friary Manor Hotel - yes we have stayed on a regular basis and long may it continue. Thank you Jan, Vic and Nick.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank alancmorris
enfield
Reviewed April 29, 2011

once again we find ourselves at friary manor a perfect setting for a recharging of the energy cells,ideal for a base to discover cornwall and still be close enough to the bright lights of plymouth,you also have nearby kingsand and cawsand ideal to just relax and watch the world drift on by.
you can cross to and from plymouth via the tamar bridge for a scenic drive here or you can use the car and foot passenger ferry via torpoint there is also a walk on ferry at cremyll.
the rooms here are perfect for any purpose you may have for taking a break, the scenary is beautiful and there is a quietness you could not describe

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank merlin53Enfield
Suffolk
Reviewed April 24, 2011

It was my misfortune to book a room at this establishment for 6th, 7th, 8th May this year. I booked at the end of October 2010 to attend a wedding close by. I first of all noticed that instead of the booking fee of £90 being taken they had actually taken £120. I was happy to overlook this, after phoning the hotel, as a mistake, even though inefficient, no big deal. However I noticed a couple of months later that a further £90 had been taken out of my account without my permission. I contacted the hotel and was told that there had been a change of book keeper and hence the error. Surely you trace statements back before dipping into someone's money again just in case they hadn't paid! Also, as I stated above, I had phoned when I realised I had been overcharged the deposit and told them just to leave it to be taken off my final bill. I was now very unhappy about this and insisted they reimbursed me the £90 and also for the additional £30 they had originally taken over and above the deposit. I no longer felt confident in them. I did receive an apology with a room upgrade. To be honest I felt appalled about what had happened and asked for reassurance they would not keep taking money from my account. Unfortunately we are unable to attend the wedding due to an operation that my husband must have and I phoned to cancel and asked if we could be reimbursed our deposit. No-one answered the phone so I left an answer phone message and asked for them to call me back. No-one did, so I emailed them. I received a reply saying they would not reimburse me, I would have thought out of shame of what they had done it would have been a good gesture to appease an unhappy customer. I was told that there had been a power cut on the tuesday evening (I had not told them what night I had phoned). I would have thought the answer phone would not have answered and it not to be possible for me to leave a message if there was a power cut. Not a good experience.

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank LadyLSuffolk
jan49, General Manager at Friary Manor Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2011
i dont understand how you can say all this as it was explaned to in fact this is the copy of the e-mail sent to you as well i said about the power cut as we have the day off on monday and the machine was wipe tuesday morning so there was nothing on it and guess that could of been the only day you could of left a message,,,,, e-mail
i am sorry to hear of your husband illness and wish him a speedy recovery,
we have had no answer phone message from you, but in saying that we had a power failier early Tuesday morning which effects the phones and in fact anything that is on
i have apologised about the taking of two deposits and return the first one which was
£120.00. i also must point out that the deposit is non refundable, but unlike other establishments if you would like to visit at some other date and we have the date available we will willing transfer this, i have no doubt at all that you would enjoy your time with us
and i am very sorry for the trouble you have had, as i said before the bookings had got in a mess as i my self had been sick for over eight weeks at the time

sorry cant say anything else

Travelers are raving about these Kingsand hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingsand
Whitsand Bay Hotel
#20 of 21 in Plymouth
The Grosvenor Plymouth
The Grosvenor Plymouth
#4 of 21 in Plymouth

Been to Friary Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!