“A hidden GEM to stay and enjoy”
Review of Friary Manor Hotel

Friary Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kingsand
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“A hidden GEM to stay and enjoy”
Reviewed September 2, 2011

A Grade 11 listed Country House Hotel dating back to 1625 yet it has so much charm character and warmth mainly due to the owners. The extensive grounds surround the hotel amongst such beautiful scenery where wild deer freely roam and it is indescribably quiet.

The Rame Peninsula is a hidden gem in Cornwall and Friary Manor is down a drive almost hidden from the road in an area of outstanding natural beauty. To the east is a coastal path and a short walk to the historic fishing villages of Kingsand and Cawsand unspoilt by time with colour washed cottages in narrow streets together with its safe beaches for a variety of water activities.

To the west a short walk past Maker Church into the 800 acres of Mount Edgcumbe Park, the House well worth a visit, together with the sawmill and rare bat sanctuary followed by a break for coffee at the Orangery within the formal gardens. Nearby is Cremyll with a walk on ferry to the Mayflower Steps in Plymouth. The car ferry running regularly from Torpoint to Plymouth.

The bedrooms at Friary Manor Hotel are really comfortable with so much space to breathe and to enjoy the surroundings with one of the many benefit of not being able to receive a mobile telephone signal which added to our peace and quiet.

The willingness of the owners’ to accommodate guests is a unique character, reminiscent of being a home from home experience and one can understand how it is an ideal atmosphere for Wedding receptions. The breakfast menu is extensive and personally cooked for you so one can appreciate it may take time, meals are available in the evenings, to order as they are cooked for you by an excellent chef. Sunday lunches are really quality and value for money and Cornish teas a must.

Understandably there are no evening meals served on Sunday and the Hotel is closed on Monday apart from guests but this we felt added to our stay for it becomes even more peaceful if that is possible.

We can quite understand some of the previous remarks made but this is surely the very unique nature and desire to help all the visitors of Friary Manor Hotel - yes we have stayed on a regular basis and long may it continue. Thank you Jan, Vic and Nick.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank alancmorris

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
enfield
Reviewed April 29, 2011

once again we find ourselves at friary manor a perfect setting for a recharging of the energy cells,ideal for a base to discover cornwall and still be close enough to the bright lights of plymouth,you also have nearby kingsand and cawsand ideal to just relax and watch the world drift on by.
you can cross to and from plymouth via the tamar bridge for a scenic drive here or you can use the car and foot passenger ferry via torpoint there is also a walk on ferry at cremyll.
the rooms here are perfect for any purpose you may have for taking a break, the scenary is beautiful and there is a quietness you could not describe

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank merlin53Enfield
Suffolk
Reviewed April 24, 2011

It was my misfortune to book a room at this establishment for 6th, 7th, 8th May this year. I booked at the end of October 2010 to attend a wedding close by. I first of all noticed that instead of the booking fee of £90 being taken they had actually taken £120. I was happy to overlook this, after phoning the hotel, as a mistake, even though inefficient, no big deal. However I noticed a couple of months later that a further £90 had been taken out of my account without my permission. I contacted the hotel and was told that there had been a change of book keeper and hence the error. Surely you trace statements back before dipping into someone's money again just in case they hadn't paid! Also, as I stated above, I had phoned when I realised I had been overcharged the deposit and told them just to leave it to be taken off my final bill. I was now very unhappy about this and insisted they reimbursed me the £90 and also for the additional £30 they had originally taken over and above the deposit. I no longer felt confident in them. I did receive an apology with a room upgrade. To be honest I felt appalled about what had happened and asked for reassurance they would not keep taking money from my account. Unfortunately we are unable to attend the wedding due to an operation that my husband must have and I phoned to cancel and asked if we could be reimbursed our deposit. No-one answered the phone so I left an answer phone message and asked for them to call me back. No-one did, so I emailed them. I received a reply saying they would not reimburse me, I would have thought out of shame of what they had done it would have been a good gesture to appease an unhappy customer. I was told that there had been a power cut on the tuesday evening (I had not told them what night I had phoned). I would have thought the answer phone would not have answered and it not to be possible for me to leave a message if there was a power cut. Not a good experience.

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank LadyLSuffolk
jan49, General Manager at Friary Manor Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2011
i dont understand how you can say all this as it was explaned to in fact this is the copy of the e-mail sent to you as well i said about the power cut as we have the day off on monday and the machine was wipe tuesday morning so there was nothing on it and guess that could of been the only day you could of left a message,,,,, e-mail
i am sorry to hear of your husband illness and wish him a speedy recovery,
we have had no answer phone message from you, but in saying that we had a power failier early Tuesday morning which effects the phones and in fact anything that is on
i have apologised about the taking of two deposits and return the first one which was
£120.00. i also must point out that the deposit is non refundable, but unlike other establishments if you would like to visit at some other date and we have the date available we will willing transfer this, i have no doubt at all that you would enjoy your time with us
and i am very sorry for the trouble you have had, as i said before the bookings had got in a mess as i my self had been sick for over eight weeks at the time

sorry cant say anything else

Travelers are raving about these Kingsand hotels

scotland
Reviewed February 2, 2011

i went down to cornwal for the first time for a break,
stayed at the firary manor and have to say it was great,
the service was fantastic, very polite
the evening meals where superb, very tasty, hats off to the chef who works very hard
the hotel its self was very clean and the surounding where fantastic and peacefull
would most defo be going back
thanks you very much for my most welcomed stay

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank scotsman567
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 1, 2011

Friary Manor, we visit family near by and stay at the hotel several times during the year, we are always made very welcome, our rooms are comfortable and clean may be an odd cobweb but it is a very old house and has so much character and warmth
I have cobwebs at home and they also appear over night would love a cure !! the food is very good and I invite my family to dinner when I am staying Vic Jan & Nicholas go out of they way for us even to the point of getting lobster when not on the normal menu, in fact he will cook anything for us being a family run hotel they are able to. and also have cooked for us when we have arrive on their day off when we have called in advance, as they ask on the conformation letter.
I have read what other people have written here I cant understand it, this a lovely old house in a wonderful area
Its not a modem lodge with uniformed square rooms which younger people might be drawn too, the drive is a bit bumpy but it is a lane with wild flowers and deer tracks
And he roads being rural are unlit,,, it is not a city or town just a house in a quite wooded valley mmm

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank holidayman850
Cheshire
Reviewed January 7, 2011

The location of this hotel cannot be faulted. The staff were friendly enough but the breakasts were the real problem here. I travelled here for my daughters passing out parade from HMS Raleigh. We were the only guests in the hotel for the first of 2 nights that we stayed, so you would think they would be able to provide a nice hot breakfast. You choose 4/5 items off the menu (simple enough) but then when it arrives its all wrong, my son ordered bacon and didnt get any, my mother asked for beans but got mushrooms, and it was all cold food. disorganised chaos in a hotel with no guests!!! Heaven help if it ever gets full.....amazing..

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank missmazzycheshire
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 5, 2010

Good points; Nice comfy bed, nice location, friendly owners.

Bad points: Pile of debris under bed (looked like plaster), tiny bath was in dire need of a good scrub with cream cleaner and there were hairs in the bath. The pleasant decor was spoiled by a damp patch on one wall and cheap nasty flat pack furnishings. Wardrobe also smelt damp. Evening meals only by prior arrangement off-season otherwise you get sent to the pub about 2 miles down an unlit single track road.

Breakfast had a selection of jam & marmalade in nasty tacky sticky jars that looked like they had been there for weeks. White bread only was available.

Summary: not recommended for the business traveller!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingsand
Whitsand Bay Hotel
#3 of 21 in Plymouth
The Mountbatten Hotel
The Mountbatten Hotel
#19 of 21 in Plymouth

Been to Friary Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!