“Don't Book!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kingsand
Suffolk
“Don't Book!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2011

It was my misfortune to book a room at this establishment for 6th, 7th, 8th May this year. I booked at the end of October 2010 to attend a wedding close by. I first of all noticed that instead of the booking fee of £90 being taken they had actually taken £120. I was happy to overlook this, after phoning the hotel, as a mistake, even though inefficient, no big deal. However I noticed a couple of months later that a further £90 had been taken out of my account without my permission. I contacted the hotel and was told that there had been a change of book keeper and hence the error. Surely you trace statements back before dipping into someone's money again just in case they hadn't paid! Also, as I stated above, I had phoned when I realised I had been overcharged the deposit and told them just to leave it to be taken off my final bill. I was now very unhappy about this and insisted they reimbursed me the £90 and also for the additional £30 they had originally taken over and above the deposit. I no longer felt confident in them. I did receive an apology with a room upgrade. To be honest I felt appalled about what had happened and asked for reassurance they would not keep taking money from my account. Unfortunately we are unable to attend the wedding due to an operation that my husband must have and I phoned to cancel and asked if we could be reimbursed our deposit. No-one answered the phone so I left an answer phone message and asked for them to call me back. No-one did, so I emailed them. I received a reply saying they would not reimburse me, I would have thought out of shame of what they had done it would have been a good gesture to appease an unhappy customer. I was told that there had been a power cut on the tuesday evening (I had not told them what night I had phoned). I would have thought the answer phone would not have answered and it not to be possible for me to leave a message if there was a power cut. Not a good experience.

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank LadyLSuffolk
jan49, General Manager at Friary Manor Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2011
i dont understand how you can say all this as it was explaned to in fact this is the copy of the e-mail sent to you as well i said about the power cut as we have the day off on monday and the machine was wipe tuesday morning so there was nothing on it and guess that could of been the only day you could of left a message,,,,, e-mail
i am sorry to hear of your husband illness and wish him a speedy recovery,
we have had no answer phone message from you, but in saying that we had a power failier early Tuesday morning which effects the phones and in fact anything that is on
i have apologised about the taking of two deposits and return the first one which was
£120.00. i also must point out that the deposit is non refundable, but unlike other establishments if you would like to visit at some other date and we have the date available we will willing transfer this, i have no doubt at all that you would enjoy your time with us
and i am very sorry for the trouble you have had, as i said before the bookings had got in a mess as i my self had been sick for over eight weeks at the time

sorry cant say anything else

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2011

i went down to cornwal for the first time for a break,
stayed at the firary manor and have to say it was great,
the service was fantastic, very polite
the evening meals where superb, very tasty, hats off to the chef who works very hard
the hotel its self was very clean and the surounding where fantastic and peacefull
would most defo be going back
thanks you very much for my most welcomed stay

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank scotsman567
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2011

Friary Manor, we visit family near by and stay at the hotel several times during the year, we are always made very welcome, our rooms are comfortable and clean may be an odd cobweb but it is a very old house and has so much character and warmth
I have cobwebs at home and they also appear over night would love a cure !! the food is very good and I invite my family to dinner when I am staying Vic Jan & Nicholas go out of they way for us even to the point of getting lobster when not on the normal menu, in fact he will cook anything for us being a family run hotel they are able to. and also have cooked for us when we have arrive on their day off when we have called in advance, as they ask on the conformation letter.
I have read what other people have written here I cant understand it, this a lovely old house in a wonderful area
Its not a modem lodge with uniformed square rooms which younger people might be drawn too, the drive is a bit bumpy but it is a lane with wild flowers and deer tracks
And he roads being rural are unlit,,, it is not a city or town just a house in a quite wooded valley mmm

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank holidayman850
Cheshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2011

The location of this hotel cannot be faulted. The staff were friendly enough but the breakasts were the real problem here. I travelled here for my daughters passing out parade from HMS Raleigh. We were the only guests in the hotel for the first of 2 nights that we stayed, so you would think they would be able to provide a nice hot breakfast. You choose 4/5 items off the menu (simple enough) but then when it arrives its all wrong, my son ordered bacon and didnt get any, my mother asked for beans but got mushrooms, and it was all cold food. disorganised chaos in a hotel with no guests!!! Heaven help if it ever gets full.....amazing..

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank missmazzycheshire

Travelers are raving about these Kingsand hotels

Chester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2010

Good points; Nice comfy bed, nice location, friendly owners.

Bad points: Pile of debris under bed (looked like plaster), tiny bath was in dire need of a good scrub with cream cleaner and there were hairs in the bath. The pleasant decor was spoiled by a damp patch on one wall and cheap nasty flat pack furnishings. Wardrobe also smelt damp. Evening meals only by prior arrangement off-season otherwise you get sent to the pub about 2 miles down an unlit single track road.

Breakfast had a selection of jam & marmalade in nasty tacky sticky jars that looked like they had been there for weeks. White bread only was available.

Summary: not recommended for the business traveller!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Whitchurch, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2010

Very disappointed by our stay.We booked months before but arrived on a cold Monday evening after a 300 mile drive to find door closed, lights off & sign saying closed, which stayed there until Wednesday. Eventually door opened, we went in & after registering were told shut Mondays, no food available. Can ask for a drink & they would open the bar.
Shower no pressure. Workmen in one of the rooms tools lying everywhere so unsafe for kids. Only other residents attending same wedding as us saw the mould on the jam, the dirt stuck to the table cloths & the proprietor in grubby tee-shirt for three days.
Had been really looking forward to the stay. Left as soon as possible after wedding & should have walked out when told shut, but felt they would not refund the deposit, which they tried to hold for the third night when we left a day early without breakfast & an arguement over the refunded deposit.
Real shame as lovely location, but they just did not seem to be bothered about looking after us at all.
More like a poor B& B and not a country house hotel at all.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Interiorbliss
Plymouth, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2010

Hi

I stayed at the hotel for a wedding & the hotel is in a really nice location & it is a ncie hotel & the wedding service was fantastic. However the only let down of the whole stay was the poor & dis-organised service of the morning breakfast. the person taking breakfast orders would ask for room numbers and then take order for breakfast then serve breakfast indivisually so other family members were waiting 40-50 mins for a cooked breakfast.

No apolgy was given for the wait, the waiter even came back 30 mins later to ask to take the breakfast order again as he lost the ticket. the breakfast menu states breakfast served from 0800-0930. its more like you order breakfast at 0800 & you get it at 0930.

however apart from this poor breakfast service the wedding reception & service of the staff at the wedding was faultless. food for the wedding was tasty & served efficientley.

also its isngle pain windows so if your room is at the front of the house at there is a wedding on you will hear noise but i slept through it.

The rooms are abit out dated with cheap kettles & the bathroom we were in the ceiling was damp.

My dad discribed it as faulty towers. Thats all i am saying.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank skliffy
jan49, Owner at Friary Manor Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2010
Friary Manor is located in an area of outstanding natural beauty on the border of Mount Edgcumbe Country Park. Wild deer and stag roam freely in our grounds on the Rame Peninsula.

The property dates back to 1625, has many original features and is decorated in a style which is timeless and sympathetic to the period. Therefore we are unable to fit double glazing to the original sash windows as not only would it look horrendous, we would not be allowed by heritage regulators as the building is Grade II listed.
On the evening of a wedding we only have guests who are attending the wedding staying in one of our seven rooms, therefore we would expect them to accept that there may be “wedding noise” for the duration of the celebrations. We value the friendship of our neighbours highly as we realise that wedding noise may travel through the valley, so music/licence are until midnight. It goes without saying that we value our guests highly and do whatever we can to make their stay a pleasant and memorable experience.
Breakfast the morning after this particular wedding was individually cooked to order for each of the fifteen diners. We use fresh, local produce and offer an extensive menu which includes a choice of five different egg styles. We are proud to say that our Eggs Benedict has achieved the reputation of being “the best Eggs Benedict in Cornwall” and in fact many of our guests return year after year for the whole Frairy Manor experience.
Due to the Bride and Groom having to leave on-time for their honeymoon, we had to re-jig the breakfast orders to accommodate the Bride’s father who was providing transport. We are sorry if this meant that some guests had to wait longer than they may have expected for their cooked breakfast. However, available at all times, on our breakfast dresser, for guests to help themselves to, were nine different varieties of cereal, fresh fruits, yoghurts, fruit juice and tea/coffee. This would ensure that no guest would go hungry while waiting for their main hot breakfast to be cooked.
At Friary Manor we warmly welcome guests into our family home and provide an exclusive and unique experience. It is imperative that the guests feel they are being treated with individual care and we provide comfortable hospitality.
Our rooms are gradually being refurbished and any minor repairs being attended to and we are always looking at ways to improve. Maybe in this particular review we are being compared with Fawlty Towers because that is a family run hotel and so is Friary Manor, however we are pleased to confirm that this is the only similarity.
We hope that we are one day able to accommodate you in our hotel so that you can be the judge of this yourself. We look forward to welcoming you to this beautiful part of Cornwall.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingsand
BEST WESTERN Duke of Cornwall Hotel
China Fleet Country Club
The Mountbatten Hotel
The Mountbatten Hotel
#20 of 21 in Plymouth

Been to Friary Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!