“Uninterested in giving a good service”
Review of Halfway House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kingsand
Halfway House Inn
Ranked #3 of 6 Kingsand B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I stayed here while walking the South West Coast Path. Room was good - a little small but an excellent bathroom. The lady who showed me to my room was very helpful.

A note in the room said that breakfast would be at 0830 unless otherwise requested. I like to be walking by 9 so requested an 8am breakfast and was given a flat refusal. I was not going to take no for an answer - as I am a paying guest, I think I should be able to choose when I have breakfast as long as it is not unreasonable, and 8am is certainly not unreasonable. Eventually they agreed, but with ill grace, and the sausage was half cooked.

There was live music in the pub - this was not made clear to me when I booked. It went on until 2345. I would not have booked had I known this.

Finally, I was told at the time of booking that the price would be £45 but was presented with a bill for £50.

I will stick to traditional B and Bs in future where guest satisfaction is paramount.

• Stayed: September 2013
4  Thank peter4lc

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Visited this venue this afternoon with a tired couple of walkers and a Labrador!
The drinks and food were top notch although a bit pricey! The Doombar was fantastic. I had the veggie Bean and red pepper- very tasty! Very dog friendly venue. Would visit again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank apopps
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We flew from the USA to attend a wedding at the nearby Polhawn Fort, and booked the Halfway House Inn for our stay. We can't say enough good things about it. The rooms are large, modern and clean with enormous bathrooms and a teapot and biscuits in every room. The staff is relaxed and helpful, assisting with everything from taxi reservations and activity suggestions to getting cash back in a town that has no ATM for foreign bank cards (they did it for us). The downstairs pub is cozy and clean, and morning English breakfast is a feast. The inn itself is perfectly situated between Kingsand/Cawsand near the water. We enjoyed many a stroll through the village and along the beautiful Coastal Path to nearby sites like Mt. Edgcumbe and Penlee Point. Would return anytime!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tralala102
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We had two nights at the Halfway House as we had a wedding at the nearby fort. We were impressed with the lovely modern rooms; very comfortable beds and spacious, clean bathrooms. The double shower was very nice! Flat screened television and coffee/tea facilities with complimentary cookies was a nice gesture. As mentioned in previous reviews, it would be a good idea to pre-book a park as it was very full when we arrived. As we needed two rooms, it would have been better to have the rooms closer together, rather than have the children on their own down the hallway. The breakfast was very nice; a choice of cereals and a cooked breakfast. Fruit would be a nice option though for those who do not want a cooked breakfast. A later check-out on the Sunday would be ideal after a wedding as we missed the last breakfast with us all sleeping in after a late night at the wedding. Overall, a very pleasant stay at the Halfway House Inn.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We booked the Halfway House Inn as we were attending a wedding at the nearby fort. We arrived late in the evening and were shown straight to our room with no messing around and left to it. which is just how i like it.

The room was cosy and quaint with a very nice large bathroom and double shower. The bed was heaven and one of the comfiest i have ever slept in. Breakfast was cracking and prompt.the staff who worked there and the gentleman who i assumed owned the place were very very helpfull and very friendly ( although i wouldnt reccomend waking him up at 1am, we wern't given the correct outdoor key!)

Checkout was 10am, we had thought it 11am like most places but even though we didn't venture down until 11.30 we were not once disturbed, which was pretty fabulous as some places come knocking.

The Town - We very naively arrived with no cash. Living in London we use card for pretty much everything. If you do present your card to someone the chances are they will look at you like you have lost your marbles. There is also no cashpoint as our taxi driver very sarcasticly pointed out. the inn were again very helpful and sorted us out. also note if you arrive late ( and round these ends this is 9pm!) you won't be able to get anything to eat and no shop will be open. You will however have a few beautifully located pubs to have a pint in.

We would definetly recommend The Halfway House Inn if you are attending a wedding at the fort as its a very short and reasonably priced taxi away. We had a lovely stay here.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Barbs111
Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

Having driven for 7 hours from Kent to Cornwall for a wedding on a rainy bank holiday Monday, we were very much in need of some food! We'd tried a few other places, all of which had stopped serving or were fully booked, and found ourselves in luck when we got to the Halfway House.

The food was great, well up to standard. Big portions, good value for money, everyone was happy. I would specifically recommend the sizzling fish platter, very fresh, tasted great.The staff were friendly and helpful. Our only issue was the lack of atmosphere, the area where we ate needed some background music; our party of 4 were easily making the most noise, and it was a little awkward. Nevertheless, it was just what we needed after a long day.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Staff very friendly and a great help. Room was great. Didn't spend much time there as I was making the most of the beach so used it for it's main purpose.

3 things to make it a 5/5 (at the moment it is 4.5)

1. When I went to check in they couldn't find the reservation book and asked me to come back in 2 hours....

2. At breakfast if they offered an option on eggs eg poached or scrambled

3. The TV in the room is tiny, I know we are not there to stay in the rooms however just in the morning or before going to bed it would be nice to have a slightly bigger TV.

Like I say minor suggestions and not complaints (well apart from being asked to come back in 2 hours having been on the road for 4 hours) and I had a great time... this would just make it perfect!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Been to Halfway House Inn? Share your experiences!