“Evening treat”

Ranked #36 of 119 Restaurants in Helston
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Quirky Cornish pub with great views and food served all day
Reviewed June 16, 2013

First visit back to the Shipwrights since the renovation. Had a really good evening, were advised though that more than 2 people were likely to get a table with a view. I understand the reasoning, and would recommend taking friends. Service was excellent and friendly. We were recommended a good Italian wine, and although the menu was limited that evening the food was delicious - tasty steak and succulent chicken breast.
We enjoyed the local few pooches as well. The sympathetic reworking and local entrepreneurs are to be commended for their hard work and enterprise.

Captain and crew 'Mollievan'

1  Thank Judith M

Reviewed June 15, 2013

We only stopped here for a cup of tea after walking along Frenchman's Creek and while waiting for the ferry, but we loved this place! I cannot understand people moaning about stuff like no car parking, view of mud flats, etc. It's a better view by far than from my living room!! And why not walk or take a a bus? Some people never seem to be satisfied. The manageress was charming and the artwork all done by Vicky, the landlady, was very inspiring. It just felt so lovely and cosy inside and had been decorated beautifully. I'd love to go back!

2  Thank DaleCheshire
Reviewed June 14, 2013

It is clear that much work has been put into making this into a delightful pub/restaurant with beautiful views over the water. The food was good, fish for me and succulent steak for my partner. The service was pleasant, if a little slow/inattentive. There is also a lovely sitting out area by the water.

1  Thank Stuart B
Reviewed June 14, 2013

As I mentioned in a previous review of the Shipwrights, the pub is an old haunt of mine. But these days I only get to go there once in a while because of "family commitments" (young children = no boat anymore, no energy anymore, no money anymore).

Anyway, first time back since the place had an overhaul and I've got to say, it's superb. Su. Perb.

Sure, the menu could do with a bit of bulking up, but who really gives a monkeys when you have one of the most fabulous views in the country from the terrace. The Ivy may do fabulous grub, but people there have to have something as they've got to put up with living in London. Poor sods.

More importantly, the makeover is first rate with the little dining area over the old beer cellar being particularly lovely.

And as for the toilets? Well, I can't speak for the ladies', obviously, but the last time I was this impressed by dunnies I was in the Philharmonic Pub in Liverpool where you have a tiddle on marble.

Will I be back. Oh, yes... I'm fixing the holes in the boat right now and the kids are on eBay.

4  Thank absenteethoughtlord
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Very friendly staff, and fine food. Limited cider and beer selection. Chicken burger was good, but crab risotto lacked seasoning.

Best pub toilets I have ever seen! ( entire pub recently given full restoration)

1  Thank balibob