“Enjoy the view”

Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Falmouth, United Kingdom
“Enjoy the view”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Popped in for Sunday lunch last week and it was a lovely sunny day. We managed to get the last table outside. There is a great view of the sea over to Penzance and on to Lands End.
We had the standard Sunday roast. I had beef and my niece had the pork. I asked whether there would be any chance of rarer beef and it was cooked to perfection for my taste.
The main courses were excellent and cost £10.95 each. Good value for the location. The deserts were priced at £5.50. I had the bread and butter pudding and my niece the chocolate and grand marnier torte. Once again of excellent quality although I could have eaten twice as much because it was so tasty.
With a pint of lager and a sparkling water the total bill was £35.
The service was quick and friendly. There were a couple of young students waiting tables and they checked with each course that we were enjoying the meal.Tables were cleared promptly for new arriving customers. We enjoyed our relaxing Sunday lunch and would have given it a higher mark if the view had not been spoilt with the odd car the parked in front of the pub by inconsiderate customers who were too lazy to walk more than a few feet. Maybe the pub could put up a notice or a few cones outside.

• Visited June 2013

Mellor, United Kingdom
“Ok,- but in truth we were a little disappointed”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Not because the food was poor,- it was good- but in the pub setting (we couldn't get into the restaurant) we felt that the seating and table were cramped and the interior somewhat stuck in the sixties. Prices, therefore, we felt were a little high in relation to the context. A friendly young waiter was attentive but we wouldn't rush back, despite the place coming highly recommended. Note that we did have to book in advance and even then couldn't get into the restaurant section.

Tadley, United Kingdom
“Perhaps riding on its reputation, would give it 3.5 stars”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

My wife and I decided to visit this pub after a nice relaxing trip to Kynance Cove and the Lizard. The Halzephron was only one of two recommended places in the new 2013 Lonely Planet guide so I was expecting stellar stuff.

The problem is that the LP guides are only good up to a point - I wish I'd checked Tripadvisor beforehand as there are much better pubs in the area (Prince of Wales in newtown being one of them).

We had crab cakes for starter - nothing special in these. Followed by baked hake with Cornish brie for me, and sole stuffed with prawns for the missus. Both were rather bland, no real sauce or seasoning. The vegetables which accompanied the dishes were bland also - overboiled and unseasoned.

We didn't stop for dessert. The beer wasn't bad though. Average service.

Overall, I'd rate it 3.5 if I could as it was slightly above average due to the fresh fish on the menu and decent beer. However I think this place rides a little on its name and presence in the Lonely Planet guide.

Guildford
“Loveliest friendliest pub restaurant excellent food”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Six of us came here and had a lovely meal with excellent, fresh food. The service was warm, friendly and attentive in just the right way - not intrusive but helpful. Food and wine were excellent and ambience was perfect. Beautiful old building which was relaxing to be in. Lovely location - the drive isn't remotely daunting, but beautiful, and it is peaceful with sea views and coastal path close by. Really worth going to.

Falmouth, United Kingdom
“Lovely pub!”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Stunning view, friendly and helpful staff, and delicious food. Couldn't ask for anything more, the sunset from the pub is stunning, and you can enjoy a lovely stroll along the beach to top of a romantic evening!

1 Thank Rachel M