“cornwalls best BnB”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Helston
Lincon
“cornwalls best BnB”
Reviewed May 5, 2009

We stumbled upon a wounderfull little bed and breakfast/hotel during our trip to Helston in Cornwall, the place was full of charecter from the word go... the place i am told had only been re-opened for around two weeks by a local 23 year old man with a strong irish background (if your a guiness lover then you will be in your element here!) however you would never know the hotel was ever shut!. We had breakfast which we were told was cooked fresh by the owners mother, and then enjoyed an afternoon of tea and a couple of cheeky beers!?! during the same evening.
Conclusion -
Basic BnB, Great staff, Enjoyable atmosphere, Well priced, All round good package!.
Would recomend to anyone, Below comments may well be aimed at the previous owners, so please disregard and make up your own minds, i know we did!!.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 9, 2009

I came to vist family in Helston in August and some other members of the exntended family had got there before me so I booked into the Angel for the couple of nights that we overlapped. It's such a lovely old building. the well in the bar is really cool as is the history of the hotel. The owner was telling me about knocking down walls during refurbishment and finding little rooms all over the place. I really enjoyed my stay. The staff were so helpful and friendly. I agree that the rooms need a little upgrading but I heard rumour that this is now imminent and would be done before Flora day. If this is the case then I can do nothing less than highly recommend ing this hotel. I really can't uderstand how anyone could give this place a bad review. The breakfast was also excellent and I may even go back for that alone!

• Liked — The quality of service
  • Disliked — Probably the room decor if I HAVE to pick something but that won't be a problem for much longer if my sources are correct
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Markyate
Reviewed August 26, 2008

We stayed for three nights over the August Bank Holiday. To be honest it was the only place we found with a vacancy. I then worried when I subsequently read Trip Advisor!
However we found the place to be OK. The staff were friendly and helpful, the breakfast great, and there was no evidence of
-excessive noise
-Us being locked in
-Not working lightbulbs
OK- so the rooms are a bit tired, but are clean. Considering the price - £65 for a double room with Breakfast - I think it's a good deal!

We'd definitely considering returning - great central location, car parking, and only three minutes walk from the Blue Anchor pub - can't be bad

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Rooms 'tired'
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
hampshire
Reviewed August 5, 2008

We stayed at the Angel hotel last week. It was the only hotel to have availability on the night we wanted, we now know why!

We checked in okay. The barmaid who took our money up front, asked us what time we wanted breakfast, we said between 0900-1000 hours?.

Our room overlooked the main street, which seemed to be the local race track for the youths of Helston racing their loud cars around the town until the early hours. Our room door did not shut properly. The shower in the room was filthy, no hot water and it came out a little faster than a drip. The plumbing was also questionable as everytime someone in the building flushed their toilet the rest of the rooms could hear it. The beds were uncomfortable and the room was badly in need of redecorating

After an uncomfortable night, we thought we would at least get a decent breakfast. How wrong we were. We arrived at 0950hours(breakfast until 10.00 according to the hotel staff from the previous day) and found the hotel locked down; the bar was locked and so was the reception, we could find no staff members to speak to, eventually a rather rude duty barmaid told us that as we did not come down on time, everything had been turned off and that she should have finished work at 0900hours. My wife asked if we could have a cup of tea, but even this request was refused. She then shut the door in our faces and stormed off. She did not even seem to want the room key returned.

In short, avoid this hotel like the plague.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — evrything
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Helston hotels

Cambs, England
Reviewed July 31, 2008

I read the other reviews of the Angel Hotel, and thought - it cannot be that bad!

The Angel Hotel was the only venue that had availability for my stay, which should have been warning enough.

The negatives:
My room overlooked Coinagehall Street; the window was single glass and therefore offers no soundproofing whatsoever from the young people driving their cars with loud exhausts up and down until 2am, or the seagulls which caw from 4am, or the partygoers falling out of the pubs from 11pm onwards.
Internally listening to the music blasting up from the pub is great, if you like karaoke and rave music.
The carpet in my room was dirty; the duvet cover smelt of the previous occupant, my bin had not been emptied. The shower takes a good 10 minutes to warm up and then only trickles out.
The public bar constantly smells of stale disinfectant.
The staff are un-interested and sombre.
My experience cost me £65 a night!

The positives:
The breakfast is really good (scrambled eggs particularly so), the girl that served breakfast on 30/08 was lovely and cheerful.

If you are going to the Angel, take ear plugs, an eye mask, and your own bed linen - good luck!

• Liked — The breakfast
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Gosport
Reviewed March 31, 2008

We stayed in the Angel hotel for 1 night whislt in Helston for a friends wedding. We all enjoyed our stay at the Angel, the staff were very friendly and the managers were even more friendly. We didn't realise breakfast was included in the price so it was a nice surprise to go down to a fry up ( which was very delicous!!!)
The Angel has parking round the back (which a few of the others we looked into didn't) which was good as parking outside on the road is very restricted. All in all we had a great stay here and would definatley stay again.

• Liked — friendliness of staff
  • Disliked — nothing bad to say
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Stacey66
hampshire
Reviewed March 30, 2008

Me and my partner stayed at the angel as we had a wedding, when we first phoned to book the room the owner was polite, helpful, and answered all the questions that i needed.
We arrived to a friendly atmosphere and the staff and owners were very polite and made us feel very welcome.
The room was not up to the best standard but they just need decorating it was clean and warm which is what you need.
In the morning when we come down we had a cooked breakfast and tea which was all made by the cheery owner who still had a smile on her face even tho she was in the bar working till late the night before, we cannot fault the service of the staff in this hotel and we would definatley book to go back their again,
well done everyone who works in the angel you are doing a fantastic job keep up the good work.

• Liked — the warm and friendly welcome
  • Disliked — the rooms were clean but do need decorating
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pinky_8
Also consider these accommodations in or near Helston
Polurrian Bay Hotel
#1 of 8 in Porthleven
Queens Arms
Queens Arms
#1 of 2 in Breage

Been to Angel Hotel? Share your experiences!