“Lovely friendly staff- food not so good”

The Prince of Wales Restaurant
Ranked #29 of 119 Restaurants in Helston
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We went there after we found the Ship Inn was fully booked. I ordered the lamb kebabs with tzatziki and salad and my partner ordered venison sausages. As I wasn't asked how my lamb should be cooked I thought I was getting lamb kofta kebabs as they fitted the meal perfectly. My lamb came rare and dripping with blood. I am 7 months pregnant and cannot eat rare meat so asked for it to be cooked well done. My meal came back on the same bloody plate and the meat was as tough as old boots- I only ate it as was starving! Lamb should be tender. On the other hand my partner loved his venison but said there could've been more to it. The staff were lovely and friendly, but I would not return as my meal was awful. Go to the Ship Inn if in area as is stunning- we managed to get in another night.

2  Thank boohoo23

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Cracking crab sandwich -excellent value, a perfect pint of Dartmoor; consistently good here. All combined with first class service and the icing on the cake - the large and immaculate garden. Do visit.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

We had been walking our dogs with a couple of friends and came across this pub on our travels. We were made to feel very welcome and even with three dogs never felt that we were an inconvenience. There are lovely gardens and ample parking at the rear.
The food was of excellent quality and good value for money but it was the service that made all the difference.
The next time that we meet up with our friends we will return. Sorry that it has taken so long to post this review.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

My wife and I ventured out to Newtown to the Prince of Wales after reading some of the reviews on Tripadvisor - we were not disappointed.

We were greeted in the car park by a bartender who was collecting some logs. After entering the pub we found an excellent table next to the fire - much needed after a sodden day out in St Ives.

We ordered a starter of Cornish seafood chowder to share, and some breads with olive oil. For mains, we both ordered fish and chips, and for dessert I had a treacle tart and my wife had ice cream.

The chowder was superb and creamy, the breads were freshly baked; soft and warm. The fish was very fresh and cooked in homemade batter, the chips freshly prepared, and even the homemade tartare sauce was delicious! The ice cream was equally delicious as was the homemade treacle tart.

I had a couple of excellent local Cornish ales to help wash this all down!

I would 100% recommend this place. We thoroughly enjoyed our evening meal and were glad we made the trip out.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

A nice pint of Tribute followed by venison casserole, whilst my wife had a lamb burger. Ample portions and very tasty. The service was friendly without being obtrusive.