“Helston heaven”

Premier Inn Helston Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Helston
Reviewed December 23, 2013

A warm welcome, a big smile, lashings of hot water and a comfy bed. I felt refreshed in the morning and ready to go. I will always recommend a Premier Inn while standards stay this high. I am looking forward to my next trip already!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed December 20, 2013

Spent two nights here in December with friends. The staff were friendly and helpful and eager to help. Breakfast is available next door in The May Tree Pub for which we paid £8.25 each booking in advance. This included as much as you wished off any of the selections and included a decent cooked breakfast. However there were cheaper alternatives which we would have selected if we had been offered them before paying as they also included a large choice and included everything we chose to eat. I would suggest not paying in advance at the hotel, but booking a table yourself. It wasn't busy when we went at 9.00am. The rooms included towels, shampoo/body wash and soap in containers on the wall. The lighting was quite dim in the room, but sufficient. The heating worked well, but if you leave it on overnight the fan can be noisy so make sure you turn the fan off. There was plenty of hot water available and the shower was adequate. A hair dryer is provided and a kettle with tea and coffee - This isn't automatically filled up, but the staff on the front desk will provide you with as much as you need. We found the bed fairly comfortable and it was very quiet and peaceful in the room. We also tried the pub food in the evening when it was busy. The menu is pretty basic and reasonably priced, but the portions are not large.

Room Tip: There are rooms on two floors, but no lift. We chose a room at the far end which means you do not ha...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Linda H
Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

I generally use Premier Inn for most of my trips away, mostly because you know exactly what your going to get.

Helston on arrival was as I would expect, the staff I have to say went above and beyond what I have seen at any other Premier Inn, giving us great information on the local area. So big thumbs up for this.

Our room was your usual Premier Inn affair. However, I've noticed that bed size differs depending on where you stay! Here you only get a king size bed, whereas in most other Inns you get a Queen size bed. In short the Queen size is much wider and I massively prefer this and is the main reason I choose Premier Inn. This was a big disappointment for me.

The room itself was clean, yet by standards I've seen at a lot of other Premier Inns it fell somewhat below, it looks like it is overdue a refit, the bathroom floor looked clean but well worn, the bathroom tiles and plug hole had signs of black mould, again I think just down to the age of the fittings as opposed to lack of cleaning. I got the impression this Inn was not as up to date as the more modern Inns you find in London or other major towns/cities?

There is a table table pub located next to the Inn, we had breakfast twice here and a meal. The breakfast was served on tables which are put up in front of the bar! I found this a little tacky if I'm honest, I don't want to get my morning toast from the area that people have been stood the night before buying their beer/wine etc. the actual presentation was very poor, the cereal dispensers looked like they were about to fall over, mats for the juice were pushed under the machines, I just got the general impression there was no care or attention given to presentation, and just thrown out any old way? I compare this to Beefeater where usually there is a specific area just for breakfast. Much better?

The cooked breakfast was ok, nothing to get excited about. The hash browns were like rubber, yuk! Our evening meal was nice, and a much better experience, staff were friendly and the atmosphere was very cosy.

In conclusion, this is a fine place to stay for one night, there is definitely room for improvement and it's far from the usual standards you would expect at a premier inn.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

We have just had one night away at the Helston Premier Inn and it was faultless. The staff were very helpful. The room was spotless. We had breakfast in the morning in the restaurant and the food and service was lovely. I would recommend this hotel and if you book in advance you can get really good deals. Would recommend.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 25, 2013

everything was ok, but maybe that's it: it was ok. Room seemed a bit cold, not enough lighting, the bathroom looked cheap with everything white in white, the mattress was somehow uncomfortable. Nothing was so bad that I could say it was really bad....but mediocre. The staff was very friendly, this is the only thing that was standing out, nice and really helpful!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 18, 2013

This company takes their guarantee of good nights sleep seriously. We were made welcome at checking, our room was clean modern and comfortable. Choice of pillows, excellent blackout curtains, our only criticism would be the tap in the sink that sprayed water all over anyone using it. Clearly a design fault. And would nice to have had more of a selection of the hot drinks available in the room, similar to what they had at breakfast. Breakfast was incredibly good value with a lovely choice of fresh bakery goods and cereals, yoghurts, juices, and a good cooked breakfast, as much as you wanted.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Tigi_Higgins
Reviewed November 15, 2013

My wife and I are walking the South West Coastal Footpath and we were completing a section in the Lizard and surrounding areas. The Premier Inn Helston was the ideal central location. As we would be walking in wind/waterproof clothing together appropriate footwear and would be out for most of the day 5-star accommodation was not a requirement. However, as far as we were concerned it proved a 5-star choice. We found the staff to be helpful, friendly and efficient. Our room was both clean, well maintained and comfortable. As we will going back to Cornwall to complete more walking the Premier Inn Helston will be the obvious choice.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Helston
Polurrian Bay Hotel
#2 of 3 in Hayle
Mullion Cove Hotel
Mullion Cove Hotel
#1 of 2 in Mullion

Been to Premier Inn Helston Hotel? Share your experiences!