“Great holiday shame about the bungalow”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hayle
Beachside Holiday Park
Ranked #3 of 13 Specialty Lodging in Hayle
Bath, United Kingdom
“Great holiday shame about the bungalow”
Reviewed July 30, 2011

We just spent a lovely fortnight in a bungalow here - the site was tidy and well laid out. The kids play areas and pool (with an attendant all day) were excellent as are the views and the location. There are power lines close by which apparently make an irritating buzzing noise but I couldn't here it over my tinitus so it didn't bother me. The beach, just a couple of minutes walk from the front door was amazing, 3 miles of beautiful soft golden sand, there are RNLI lifeguards dotted all along. I unfortunately found a weever fish and they were very helpful and the lad was almost sympathetic to the pain that I was in. The kids loved exploring the sand dunes. Hayle itself is not much to speak about but does have one redeeming factor a bakery called 'Philps', they make the best cornish pasty I have ever eaten well worth a visit!
The bungalow was shabby to say the least, I'd guess built in the 70's and not touched since. The furniture well worn and rather uncomfortable the beds were hard as nails and extremely uncomfortable, I woke every morning feeling as though I had done 12 rounds with Mike Tyson. The springs in all of the door handles were broken so the doors didn't shut properly and when the wind blew they would fly open and we didn't need to open the windows for this to happen because it blew through the cracks in the walls.
The hot water was scolding (90 degrees from what I read on the heater) and the kitchen shared the same supply for both hot & cold so don't touch the kitchen taps while there is someone in the shower, unless you enjoy listening to people scream.
All that said we had a lovely time in this beautiful part of the country and will return one day but we will not be staying at beachside!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank JB179
, Manager at Beachside Holiday Park, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Thank you for your review and I am glad you had a lovely fortnight's holiday at Beachside. We have a great number of families who, like yourselves, love the location and facilities on offer at Beachside, returning year after year. We are a family-run holiday park and focus on providing the best service to our customers.

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy some aspects of your stay. All our accommodation undergoes an annual maintenance programme, and this year many of the bungalows had new beds, sofas, along with living room furniture and bedroom furniture. Our bungalows were in fact built in the late 1980s and have had regular refurbishment and decoration eversince.

I am sorry we were not given the opportunity to offer you a softer mattress - we have alternative mattresses available, which we could have swapped for you if you found the one in your bungalow too hard. I am sorry you did not bring this to our attention as I am sure we could have resolved the issue for you and allowed you to have a more relaxing holiday.

Like the hardness of the mattress, the temperature of the hot water is subject to personal preference and we try to find a balance for all our customers. If you found it too hot, we could have easily adjusted this for you.

I am sorry about the broken door handles, this should not have happened and they would have been fixed immediately, had it been brought to our attention. I do not agree however, that there are cracks in the wall large enough to allow a draught to blow open the door.

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2011

Stayed here last week - fantastic location right next to beautiful beach. We stayed in a bungalow which had great sea views and whilst furniture was basic there was a fridge microwave, table and chairs, sofas and adequate wardrobe space. The staff in the shop and bar were all very helpful. The kids enjoyed swimming in the outdoor pool. There are several pubs and restaurants in Hayle as well as a fish and chip shop and a chinese take away. We visited the bucket of blood pub a few times and they do a good kids menu. We are definitely coming back here - we had a great time

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
, Manager at Beachside Holiday Park, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
I am pleased you had a good stay at Beachside and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2011

Let me first say I wasn't expecting too much for the amount we paid but it was far worse than my lowly expectations. Firstly, the sun
lounge is a joke - plastic corrugated breeze-block hutch! When it rained, it
leaked everywhere, and when the neighbours smoked, it filled up with their
2nd-hand exhales. Then there's the furniture. I remember buying bunk-beds for my
kids when they were born, and the matresses on the beds in these chalets are
identical - my boys are now in their 20's! The beds are so old, they saw the
moon-landings...and the tv from the uncomfortable sofa probably has a similar
view to that of Neil Armstrongs from the surface! Small doesn't even cover it -
I had to put my face an inch from the screen to see the weather map clearly
(weather was a big factor for us!). We didn't use the dining table to eat meals
off as it moved like it was in a Japanese earthquake - I kid you not, one finger
made it rock and roll like Elvis and Chuck Berry on a good night, and was
probably last serviceable when said gentlemen last had a good night out!
Yes it certainly is a throwback to the 70's, but not in a nice, nostalgic way. If you're only going for the surfing and a beer, great. If you want comfort and a decent bed to sleep in, try elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ChelseaJack
, Manager at Beachside Holiday Park, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at Beachside. We have hundreds of families that return to Beachside year after year, all of which enjoy their holidays with us. Testament to this can be seen on this website and also on our Facebook page.

We have a continual rolling programme of refurbishment within our chalets, but I am sorry if they did not meet your expectations. It is a shame you did not bring this to our attention whilst you were staying with us, as I am confident we could have resolved the issues you had.

Last year I am pleased to say we had fewer than one complaint per thousand bookings.

I am sorry we were not allowed the opportunity to correct these issues, which I am sure would have enabled you to have a fantastic holiday at Beachside. If you were looking for a more luxurious holiday, I would recommend our Lodges or Seafront Lodges.

Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2011

We have just arrived back from a week camping on beachside holiday park, first impressions were good, the site was clean and tidy, good pool, play areas and shop, and fantastic views, however the facilities for those camping did not live up to expectations!!

The pitch given to us (18) was fairly flat, close to water and electric, however as soon as we got out of the car the electricity pylon located at the entrance, 2 seconds away, was making an horrific buzzing noise, these are all over the site so I’m assuming the others will be the same, very annoying when you come on holiday and its noisier than home!! After about the 3rd day I became immune to it .

As for the facilities, we were not expecting the Ritz or anything like that, but I think personally for the money and the time of year we were staying that it was overpriced, compared to other places we have stayed. It was severely dated, and could seriously have done with some modernisation, this would not have been such a problem had it been possible to enjoy a shower, they are on a push button system, where you are unable to changed the temperature, my daughter couldn’t get in there because they are so hot, we gave in and brought a paddling pool and bathed her in that!!! The showers were twice as hot as the washing up facility water, which is crazy!

We noticed that there was construction work happening on the site, we think for new lodges and bungalows, when in hindsight they need to invest in upgrading for the touring site, so don’t expect anything to change this year at least.

Also note that there is no where that you can freeze your own ice blocks, they charge you 30p per block plus a 3.50 deposit, they gave us a story about health and hygiene, but I personally think it was a money making scheme (all campsites I have stayed at provide a freezer where you can put them), when I asked if I could have the bigger ones as my daughter has an intolerance to dairy and so required us to buy specialised products, the lady in the shop told me I would get what I was given, found her quite rude.

Although this is not the fault of the owner (but I’m sure they are very well aware of it, but fail to highlight in brochures or on the website) is the wind on this site! We had 7 beautiful days of sunshine, but the wind was immense, which is difficult when camping, and after reading other reviews people have reported the same thing.
We had a nice holiday away from the site, but certainly will not be returning to this site.- dissapointed

1 Thank lobster123
, Manager at Beachside Holiday Park, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
I am glad you found Beachside clean and tidy, and enjoyed our onsite facilities. I was sorry to hear that you had some other concerns however.

I must point out that there is only one pylon near Beachside, not "all over the site" as mentioned by yourself. In previous years the pylons have made a slight buzzing noise, but only in very thick fog. Work has now been carried out to prevent this noise. The vast majority of our customers experience absolutely no problems. We are usually booked up for these pitches (by our many regular visitors), over a year in advance for peak periods.

Our prices for touring are very competitive and are comparable to any other park with a beach-front location. I was also surprised to find that you had trouble with the temperature of the showers - these are monitored on a daily basis. If there had been a problem to the extent mentioned in your review, the temperature would have been adjusted immediately. However, this was not the case.

The ice blocks in the shop are provided on a loan basis to ensure the required hygiene of those blocks are maintained. At a cost of 30p per block, I find it hard to believe that this is a money making scheme, as mentioned.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2011

Its such a lovely site with miles of lovely sandy beach and a big playing field situated on top of the beach, so had lovely views too. We used them most nights and the children made some lovely friends. The chalets were big and clean and ours had a lovely sea view. We are going back next year. There is no entertainment when we went but that was a good thing as the kids did not need or want the shows with the beach and playing field.

, Manager at Beachside Holiday Park, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Thank you very much for your review. I’m glad you had a fantastic holiday at Beachside, and hopefully see you again soon.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2011

We (2 adults) and our 6 year old son have just returned from our weeks holiday at Beachside. The bungalow was basic but clean and suitable for a weeks stay. The staff were friendly and helpful. The shop sold the basics but there is a supermarket a short drive away. The site was clean and 6 year old loved the 2 play areas, 2 pools and play field! The beach was possibly the best I've seen - huge and sandy - albeit slightly windy! So, apart from the weather (3 days sunshine, the rest rain) we had a great time and would go back again!
Eden Project/Mevagissey - approx 1 hours drive. The park and ride train in to St Ives was great - take bucket and spade and towel with you. Soft pay places are near by - one in Hayle and one on the way to St Ives. Treasure Park wasn't for us!

, Manager at Beachside Holiday Park, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Glad you had a great stay at Beachside. We look forward to hopefully seeing you again soon.
london
Reviewed June 18, 2011

Stayed here about 5 times now, everytimes been great - really friendly place highly recommend

• Stayed September 2010
, Manager at Beachside Holiday Park, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Thank you very much for your review, we look forward to seeing you at Beachside again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hayle
Travelodge Hayle
St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa
St. Ives Holiday Village
St. Ives Holiday Village
#19 of 21 in St Ives

Been to Beachside Holiday Park? Share your experiences!