“Fabulous food”
Review of Halzephron Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gunwalloe
Halzephron Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Gunwalloe B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We dined here as a group of four without booking, we were welcomed warmly. The menu is extensive with a large selection of fish on the blackboard. I had the hake in breadcrumbs which was superb, my sister had the we bass and our husbands had beef Wellington. All the meals were superb and the sticky toffee pudding was the best we have ever had. The interior is traditional but welcoming. Thank you for our lovely meal!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 21, 2013

We called in to this pub for a drink on the recommendation of the Coast Guard...who we met at the Lizard Lifeboat open day, we were after recommendations for good, local pubs and this was his. Our first visit was a quick mid afternoon drink after a visit to Gunwalloe Beach and we then returned for dinner with friends a few days later. We also chose the pub for our final night holiday dinner. On both occasions the food was superb and the service friendly although admittedly very slow. We were on holiday though and quite happy to sit and people watch. It looks as though our visit coincided with other reviewers and the feedback is mixed. The pub was exceptionally busy and there did not seem to be coherence with who was served and when but we enjoyed our visits and would definitely return. I would also suggest booking in advance during the summer holidays.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Really expensive, food almost inedible - main courses horribly salty, steak had the strangest consistency I have ever seen looking as though it had been boiled (weird) and the chocolate torte was clearly off and unsafe to eat. It was cramped and understaffed. Some of the rooms had a definite musty smell so we sat in a tiny room just off the more crowded bar area. Staff were friendly but clearly run off their feet. Locals tell us it is under new management and has gown downhill horribly. Save your money and go somewhere else.

3  Thank Floss252
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I stayed at this lovely pub during July for 2 nights whilst walking round the Lizard. On arrival, there was a warm and friendly welcome and I was shown to my room which was a good size, spotlessly clean and very comfortable. There was tea and coffee making facilities and also fresh fruit. I found there to be a large selection of moderately priced bar meals which came with generous portions - more than enough ! There was also a huge choice of dishes for breakfast. The staff were kind, couldn't have been more helpful and went out of their way to find me a taxi firm the next morning.
Although I don't usually pay £55 for b&b I found it to be well worth the money and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it and look forward to staying there again in the future, as it's certainly one of the best little places I've stayed in.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Recently visited the pub for lunch on our holiday with our black lab in tow, and were made to feel very welcome.
Nice relaxed atmosphere, doggie biscuit welcome from the landlady, and very nice lunches for us.
Would definately return.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This was our 3rd visit over the last couple of years EXTREMELY disappointed, menu very expensive, tablecloths not ironed and grubby. place empty tables reserved around the bar so we sat in the damp smelling dusty snug smelt awful and cat kept coming in!! Cauliflower cheese came with a bun and nothing else! Gammon and chips ok but not brilliant for the money didn't rock my boat won't be going again, bar staff made us feel very unwelcome as we hadn't booked!!

1  Thank Sue W
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We have visited this little inn on two previous occasions and must say that if it has changed hands for us it seems to be for the better.

We went there for lunch after a long coastal walk and thought the food was superb. It was so pleasing to have a place that does not reserve it best food for evening diners, (all too often dining pubs do 'pub grub' at lunch time and keep their more adventurous dishes for the evening menu; we are always disappointed by this as we like to have our main meal in the afternoon).

My Crab mournay was divine and I would have it again in a heartbeat; wish the Halzephron was closer to home, my husband had Hake with pesto which also met with enthusiastic approval. The same was true of the desserts .... fabulous! My husband is something of a crumble expert (chooses this dessert whenever it is available) and he was raving about the home made Halzephron version!

We felt the staff couldn't have been more helpful and friendly and they obviously didn't mind that we were one of the last to arrive before it closed for food orders.

It's a shame that some people seem to have had less happy experiences here, maybe they just came on an off day! We just couldn't fault it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Halzephron Inn? Share your experiences!