Halzephron Inn
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Gunwalloe
See available hotels
An Mordros Hotel(Porthleven)
  • Breakfast included
Angel Hotel(Helston)
View Hotel
Budock Vean Hotel(Mawnan Smith)
Tregildry(Gillan)
The Bay Hotel(Coverack)
View Hotel
All reviewschowderfish and chipsperfectly cooked vegetableslarge bowlspent eastercoastal pathloe barspecials boardextensive menugreat pubreceived a very warm welcomelizard peninsulacooked breakfastclairedogporthlevenales
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stopped off at the Halzephron Inn today in search of a decent cream tea on the last day of our holiday. Having had a poor excuse for a scone at The Bay, Penzance (see review), we felt that surely this will be better. The tea tray arrived with 6 scones, 6 jars of jam and a large bowl of cream for the three of us. My partner ( who is a chef) tells me that the perfect scone should easily split in two when gently pulled apart. Well these scones needed a knife running through them and we so dry. Why oh why we didn't go straight in to the staff and tell them they were stale I don't know, perhaps it's the polite Englishness in us!!! Thank god for the large pot of tea to wash them down! Another diner also said hers was stale, so it was obviously not just our 6 scones. How hard is it to get a simple scone right? So the search for a decent cream tea with a view continues.....

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank EJ78Smith
Reviewed July 24, 2013

My mother and I stayed for a week from 16th June and this was our first visit since the new owners took over. We've read some of the reviews saying that things just aren't the same since Angela left and they are right, they aren't. Nothing stays the same, but the 'Halzephron' certainly hasn't deteriorated. It seems to be far busier with a wonderful mix of holiday people, walkers and locals. We ate there each evening of our stay and every meal was delicious. The breakfasts were fabulous as well (thanks Dave)! The rooms were clean and well stocked with fresh milk, fresh fruit, bottled water and tea and coffee.
We were looked after extremely well and the new owners were very friendly and welcoming. They were also very attentive to my mum's needs which is a big plus in my book. All the staff were very kind and extremely helpful.
Keep up the good work Claire, Ian and Dave, you are doing a cracking job and we hope to be back very soon.
No-one should hesitate to visit for a meal or to stay. Do yourselves a favour!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Benedict T
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

We came here after a gap of quite a few years, we had a very tasty and enjoyable meal. The fish cake and blanchbait starters were delicious. We had beef Wellington and guinea fowl for the mains,which were delicious and well cooked and presented. Staff very friendly and polite and the desserts topped it off well. Not sure what the other reviews mean by feeling disappinted; we certainly weren't and would highly recommend the Halzephron Inn for a relaxing meal on a beautiful peaceful spot on the coast.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed June 19, 2013

My husband and I had visited this pub a year ago and knew it was going to change hands, so we returned hoping for an equally good experience.
there were two people that we saw, a waitress and a lady we assumed to be the owner, Both were very pleasant and made us feel welcome. We also noticed how kind they were to some elderly people on another table.
we ordered starters, I had baked Brie with roast garlic and my husband had ham hock terrine. Both outstanding. after this we eagerly awaited the main course. We had both chosen the pork chop with Cornish Blue Cheese sauce. We were disappointed. Whilst the chop was lovely, juicy and tasty the sauce had an overpowering taste of butter or cream, but definitely not blue cheese, and a BIG no no in my book, the vegetables had been reheated!
We decided not to have dessert. We found the place had no atmosphere as it had previously, so did not feel like staying longer.
The two meals, with a pint and two diet cokes came to £39. NOt a bad price at all, especially if the vegetables had been freshly cooked!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Azizam56
Reviewed June 17, 2013

First visit since the new landlady took over in March, used to be regular visitors (we live at Mullion Cove), when Angela was the owner. It used to be a slightly limited menu, which is now expanded somewhat. I selected garlic bread as a starter rather than a side dish, and my wife the celery and Stilton soup. The garlic bread and roll with the soup were presumably home-made having excellent texture and flavour. Personal preference, the garlic bread could've done with more garlic, so will ask for stronger next visit. I had a couple of slurps of my wife's soup - superb. My sirloin steak arrived with crisp chips, tomato, mushrooms (could've done with a 3 or 4 more mushrooms though) and crushed peas, with an extra side-dish of peppercorn sauce which seemed very expensive at £3.50. I would guess that steaks are sourced from Dales (Helston) or Retallacks (St Keverne and The LIzard?), but certainly locally reared and killed meat. One of the best steaks I've ever been served, and the peppercorn sauce was very obviously home-made - absolutely scrumptious, and well worth the apparently high price. My wife said her sea bass on roasted veg. with Anna potatoes was also delicious. Total cost was 10p under £60 including 2 proper drinks each - shame we have to drive there. Service and presentation couldn't be faulted, and food itself excellent. We will be re-visiting as often as we can afford to! Certainly not a cheap meal, but justified by the high quality. Booking table in advance during emmet season is recommended, as the place can get very busy, if large parties turn up.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple