“great breaths of fresh air”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gunwalloe
Halzephron House, Cabin and B&B
Ranked #2 of 4 Gunwalloe B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 28, 2013

My partner and I stayed for 2 stormy nights in September, but we were snug listening to the wind in a warm comfy bed. The views were amazing from Tower Room - and we imagined that the balcony would have been wonderful if the weather had been balmy. Lucy was an informative and kind host. Breakfast was delicious and generous. She gave us fabulous recommendations for places to visit and where to eat. We would certainly return if we were in the area again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank c.m.hughes

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We have just returned from spending a week in The Cabin-absolutely perfect with wall to wall sunshine, stunning coastal paths just outside the door and even a very decent local pub down the road. Local beaches are idyllic and only 10 min walk or 2 min drive away. The large garden is a delight too with wonderful views over the wall to the sea, and perfect for our dog to run free. The Cabin itself is a real getaway-from-it-all bolthole. We found it most comfortable-soft fluffy towels and fresh flowers a lovely touch too. Lucy was on hand with recommendations and any advice we needed. To top it all, we were even lucky enough to see dolphins on our first walk to Porthleven. A very special moment. The accommodation and location are delightful, and we can't wait to return. Mike and Katharine (and Alfie the dog).

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Katharine W
Reviewed July 11, 2013

You could not fault the location, literally on the coast path, so perfect for walks. The cabin itself was very disappointing considering how much it cost and what you could have got for the same money. The photos on the website must have been taken a long time ago because it looks freshly painted and clean but in reality the paint work was all marked, peeling on the outside and the rug on the floor had seen better days. The furniture and equipment was all IKEA, which is fine if a little unimaginitive. I'd say the sofa was probably the worst thing: it was an IKEA special, extraordinarily uncomfortable, we actually couldn't sit on it because you just end up sliding forward. The garden felt like it could do with some TLC, not very inspiring as the view was either the main house through a really ugly fence or some run down cabins filled with junk. The nicest view was through the kitchen window down to the sea (the only sea view from the cabin). I contacted the owner a couple of times before our stay to ask for further details about what time to arrive and where to park etc but we never heard back. I felt that after we'd paid the final amount they werent bothered about replying. My husband had to phone them to chase an answer. I think maybe they should atleast send out a welcome pack in the post once you've paid the full amount becuase its not a small amount of money. There was nothing in the cabin either to welcome you - no area information pack or anything. Just felt a bit cold. Maybe the owners should try living in it from the point of view of a guest for a few days and they'd soon realise that the sofa is unbearable. I know they have got lots of high reviews for the rest of the place but the cabin just felt a bit neglected. Try Helford cottages - much prettier and better value for money. Definitely wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank SammyC164
lucythorp, Owner at Halzephron House, Cabin and B&B, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

1Firstly, I must apologise for not replying to your email attached, which I have just found. We had a lightening storm here, all broadband connections went down and I must have missed this email when we were re-connected.
2 Also I apologise for not greeting you on your arrival as clearly my son did not point out the Cornwall Goldeneye travel guide in The Cabin, which has the best recommendations for walks, beaches, art galleries, restaurants in Cornwall. I do not like to litter the Cabin with numerous promotional fliers. I usually chat with guests and mention all the local places to eat etc on arrival but unfortunately I had a very important engagement, related to my husbands work that I had to attend on his behalf.
3 We cancelled my daughters 21st birthday party, for which you may recall I gave you a £100 discount, as my husband was admitted to hospital for an operation the previous week and was not well enough to celebrate. I was also incredibly busy running our B&B single-handedly for 2 weeks. The Cabin, has in fact been re-decorated this week (15 July), it is pristine and white throughout. I'm sure you can appreciate that in a coastal location the weather conditions can be harsh and sometimes external decorating is not possible when the decorators are available or are at times when we do not wish to inconvenience guests. I guess everyone has a place to store paintpots.
4 You are mistaken in saying that all the furniture is IKEA. The only IKEA furniture is in the kitchen. The sofa is in fact John Lewis, and I appreciate that you may have found it uncomfortable, it will be replaced at the end of this week when the current guests depart. The oak bar stools are also John Lewis. The bed and mattress is manufactured by the same company that supplies Babington House and Soho House, it is the same mattress they supply to them, handmade in Preston, Lancashire, not IKEA. The table in the living room was purchased in Morocco. The chair in the bedroom from a local antique shop. The painting is by a local Cornish artist, Gilly Cooper. The bathroom supplied by a company in Truro.
5 You are also mistaken that we just take the money from guests and are not interested beyond that. That is absolutely not the case. I can only find one email from you asking about car parking and as mentioned that was lost in the lightning storm.
6 We have many returning guests, one couple stayed in The Cabin three times last year. I attach the past two reviews from Cabin guests in our visitors book, one left last Friday, both of whom were very happy with their stay as you will read.
7 I must add that if we were only interested in the money we would not have offered you a discount for the Saturday night and I would have insisted on a security deposit, which I waived. I'm sure that you can appreciate that dog-friendly accommodation has to be thought out well for all guests, that is why when dog owners stay we put in a grey rug, rather than the white rug in the photograph.
8 Regarding the garden, it is incredibly hard to get many plants to grow in a coastal location. I have sadly tried and failed on many occasions but when we are lucky enough to have the most incredible wild nature on our doorstep I feel it makes up for my lack of gardening skills. I am sorry that you could not appreciate this and can only find fault in everything we have tried to achieve here. We actually rather like our rustic willow fence.
9 You fail to mention the fresh flowers that we had put in both the bedroom and living room picked from the garden and wildflower meadow, the tea and coffee in the kitchen, the welcome note on the chalkboard in the kitchen, all of which others have found welcoming not cold. I have checked and the Goldeneye book with all the details of local places was indeed in the lobby with extra leaflets about local eateries and a spa.
10 Helford cottages I’m sure have some excellent properties but certainly none on this staggeringly beautiful stretch of coastline as they only deal with properties on the Helford River, not ocean-side as is The Cabin. Having checked their website none of them sleep 2, they’re all larger with the minimum price for a sleeps 3 a hundred pounds cheaper than The Cabin, most are at least the same price in July. We feel that we certainly offer accommodation at the going rate for this part of Cornwall. Our super local pub charges £95 per night for a room without the addition of a private garden, The Cabin’s measuring 40x40ft, we charge £100.
11 New images will be posted when taken once the current guests, who have incidentally just popped over to say how delighted they are with The Cabin, depart.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the Tower room at Halzephron House for 3 nights in May. We could not have found a better place. The location is just perfect, perched on a cliff surrounded by stunning views of the sea. What's more, Lucy and Roger were absolutely wonderful hosts, giving us great tips for visiting the area and cooking us very nice breakfasts with good fresh ingredients. We highly recommend this place!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Audrey P
Reviewed May 17, 2013

This was another wonderful weekend at Halzephron house. Lucy and Roger were warm and hospitable as ever. We stayed in the tower room this visit. Crisp linen, comfy bed and great breakfast. The cliff top location is stunning. It really is a special place. We will definately be returning.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Zpenz
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We held our wedding reception here on 4/5/13 as well as staying from the Friday to Monday in the house, cabin and observatory, and we really couldn't have had a more magical weekend. From start to finish Lucy and Roger were accommodating and thoughtful, even matching the flowers in the house to our colour scheme. The house itself is stunning and the surroundings are unparalleled! Every single guest has complimented our choice of venue and spent their time admiring everything from the orangery to the luxurious beds! I cannot recommend Halzephron House enough and we would live to come back for our anniversary, if not sooner. Thanks Lucy and Roger for such a special weekend x

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank LeiHandlebars
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Spent a weekend at Halzephron with a gang of girlfriends, we had a lot of talking and catching up to do and fuelled by Lucy and Roger's fantastic breakfast, we certainly filled the house with chatter! Poor Roger must have been so relieved when we left, but took it all in good heart ... the perfect host!
The house is so beautiful, right on the coastal path and with classic Cornish views out to sea - absolutely heavenly - we will be back!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Anne B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gunwalloe
Mullion Cove Hotel
Mullion Cove Lodge Park
Harbour Inn
Harbour Inn
#1 of 8 in Porthleven

Been to Halzephron House, Cabin and B&B? Share your experiences!