“Almost Great.”
Review of The Llawnroc Hotel

The Llawnroc Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Gorran Haven
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Visited last year just for an over night stay and dinner. Strangely situated but beautifully renovated. The communal areas are very tastefully decorated. Breakfast was wonderful, as was dinner - except that, at dessert, somehow the peach was missing from my peach melba. Quickly rectified though. The hotel also seemed indifferent that there was no tv reception in our room (12). When we rang reception we were simply told to watch a dvd from downstairs. Gorran haven beach is perfect - small and tranquil and only a 5 minute walk from the hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid room 12. Continuous noise from what I guessed were the extractors in the kitchen. Droned on ti...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chineezy1

Reviewed July 13, 2014

We had our wedding at the hotel this weekend. From the moment we discovered this hotel over a year ago we have fallen in love Goran Haven and the Llawnroc. We had wonderful service from David and the team who gave us the highest standard of service right from the early stages of planning, in the run up and during the event itself. Our room was wonderful, the food was beautifuly presented, tasty, hot and all served at exactly the right time. I know this is not easy when catering to a large group but we found the attention to detail and execution was perfect. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful and are the nicest people. They made our special day even more special and made sure everything ran smoothly. Thank you so much for everything.We hope to visit you again soon.

1  Thank Matthew_London_2014
Reviewed July 13, 2014

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for a couple of nights in July. The reception staff who greeted us were welcoming and friendly and showed us to our room. We were pleased with the room - decor is modern and plush and it is roomey so you do feel like you have space. The bathroom was also modern and clean - the shower is very good. Bathrobes are also supplied. The hotel has free wifi which is a must, as you can't get phone signal where the hotel is located.

We decided to order a couple of cocktails at the bar. I had a pina colada and my partner had the hotel's signature cocktail. I didn't find my cocktail great quality considering it cost £9 and it was also served in a martini glass which I thought was a bit odd. We sat on a table outside and have to agree with previous reviewers that the table did not look like it had been cleaned.

Our room rate included breakfast, in the room you have the option of filling out a card to put on your door if you would like to have your breakfast served in your room (for no extra charge). We put the card out on the door as instructed, however no breakfast turned up (even though the card had been collected from our door). We called reception after waiting half an hour after the time we had ordered it for to see what had happened - they advised the card was missing. They did offer to bring breakfast up then, but we decided to go out. The next morning we went downstairs to the breakfast room. The man serving was polite and friendly, there was a continental selection you could help yourself to, and a menu to order hot breakfast choices. The choice was quite good and we ordered eggs benedict which I thought was good quality. We did not choose to eat dinner in the hotel whilst we were there.

The two night stay was paid for via a discounted voucher deal website, therefore I thought the hotel stay was good enough for what I paid, however had I paid full price I would perhaps not have been so happy. The hotel has a lot of potential - eg. I did love the room and the staff are friendly, they just perhaps need to make a few improvements here and there.

1  Thank Emily H
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We eat at the Llawnroc quite regularly with our four children. The service we receive is excellent, Nicky in particular is brilliant, but we have always found all the staff to be friendly and courteous and the manager clearly takes pride in his role (see his responses). The kids menu is particularly noteworthy for quality and value so that keeps them happy while the adults can indulge!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 12, 2014

This promised much but was rather disappointing. Our sea view room did have a view of the sea but not a great one, lots of houses in the way. The room décor was very modern and dark. We had booked a table for dinner which had been advised and I assumed it would be in a restaurant. In fact we had dinner in a large unattractive bistro style room which completely lacked any charm or character. Odd really, since there is a lovely room where they serve breakfast. When my main meal arrived it was wrong (they didn't charge for it) -food was very average. The bar area also lacks charm. Staff need to smarten their appearance. This hotel does not warrant the large price tag.

1  Thank sophia27
Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

Big room, even with a child’s bed added. Well designed, up-to-the minute interiors. But in the restaurant we waited and waited for our food, and none of the staff thought to ask if we wanted anything; when we chased the order they said there had been a system failure and the food would be with us in 10 mins. Eventually, over an hour after we'd ordered, the food turned up. By this time it was 10pm—late for adults to eat let alone a child. What upset us was that none of the staff checked how we were and why we had no food for all that time, and then that we found ourselves helping them work out what to do next. We weren't charged. We'd have much preferred being able to trust the staff to look after us and wanting to leave a good tip for being well looked after.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Chilternette
Reviewed June 30, 2014

My husband and I stayed there in June it was his birthday, bit expensive but it was his birthday. On arrival looked stunning, reception pleasant, shown to room. We paid extra for sea view which was lovely. Went down to dinner which were advised to book got the impression they were going to be busy but quiet, thought let's have a pre-dinner drink, when the staff managed to drag themselves away from the football we ordered drinks (they was no if you'd like to take a seat we will bring them over) sat out on the terrace tables not cleared, looked very tatty weeds everywhere and just looked run down. Dinner wasn't too bad, lady serving very nice, we had to ask for the wine, when it came the bottle had already been opened, brought another one for a rose it wasn't chilled very much. Dinner not too bad. Decided to play scrabble in lounge the table in there was sticky and it remained like that for the next few days. No one came and asked if we would like any more drinks and was there anything we needed. Of course one now starts looking closely at the facilities, the bedroom was covered in dust and generally needed a good clean. Bathroom shower tap was so stiff my husband had to turn it on. Towels for a bespoke hotel were not what I would have expected hard and not fluffy white. Then next morning breakfast we arrived in the restaurant, asked by young girl for our order, started on cereal etc very poor selection for breakfast, plenty of cereals though, ordered toast and my husbands request for his gluten free bread for toast, was then informed chef was going to be late and there was no bread for my husbands breakfast. What was he going to eat, as he is also diabetic. Not a good start for the day. At 10.00 still no sign of chef so we called it a day, went to reception and complained about lack of bread and the state of the room, receptionist said we should have informed them about diet requirements when booking( which I did with reception)and they just that they get a lot of dust. Not very helpful. Friday hooray gluten free bread and the chef. Saturday breakfast ordered two rashers of bacon and one egg with toast separate, husband ordered vegetarian breakfast, my breakfast came with 2 bacon and 2 eggs on the toast, she took it back they were scraped off but still two eggs I pointed it out, said leave it on the side then! husband noticed each morning the veg brekkie was missing something, sauté potatoes and then the eggs, also my yogurt was out of date by 10days there were no utensils for serving cold meat and the meagre supplies of pastries, and the fruit bowl gradually went down each day suspect it was put back in fridge, how difficult is it to take a breakfast order, and on another note it would be nicer to have the waitress's hair not dangling in the orders. However when we left the bill had been adjusted we had the breakfast and one nights dinners taken off. In summing up it is a lovely hotel in fantastic surroundings but the young staff let it down and so does the housekeeping. You get the wow factor when you first come in but then there are cracks eg there was seagull mess down one window all the time we were there I know you can't help seagulls, no attention to detail, staff need more training, and breakfast needs to be a lot better. I think the finale was the chef in his whites and his mate sitting on the hotel wall smoking after breakfast, not a good advert, good job we were going and not checking in. Smoke by all means but be discreet. Disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank jessie09
Llawnroc022, Manager at The Llawnroc Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2014

Thank you for your review. i am horrified to read that you did not enjoy your time with us. We pride ourselves in offering fantastic service and making our guests we welcome. I am investigating your points to ensure that these are rectified immediately.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gorran Haven
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
St. Moritz Hotel
St. Moritz Hotel
#1 of 4 in Wadebridge

Been to The Llawnroc Hotel? Share your experiences!