“Disappointed Again”
Review of The Llawnroc Hotel

The Llawnroc Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Gorran Haven
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I was in Gorran Haven for a hoiday, as I travel there frequently. It was my birthday and I alerted the hotel, asking them to reserve a sea view table in the conservatory dining area that evening when I was to visit for my birthday meal. They agreed to do this. When I arrived, there was no reservation sign on any sea view tables, these were all taken, and no-one there had any recollection of my call. Disappointed again! I have visited the hotel to take meals on quite a few occasions now and always there is something that makes it not quite as perfect as I would have hoped. Often there is some sort of staff confusion with an issue (ie as on this occasion), or there is some disappointment as I am a vegetarian who will occasionally eat fish, and the vegetarian option is usually just one dish. Why is this felt to be acceptable in this day and age, and in a hotel of this calibre? The food choices although limited, are good in quality and quantity, but I really am now questioning whether to visit elsewhere in future when holidaying in the area. Can I be persuaded otherwise?

1  Thank KathyCS
Llawnroc022, Jess Bryant- Manager at The Llawnroc Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Thank you for your review, and I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed. Unfortunately our sea view tables are very popular with all the guests that dine with us and we do try to seat people appropriately. Regarding the menu, we can do other vegetarian options is required, or if the vegetarian option is not suited to the guest as we have done several times before. I wonder if you would be able to give me a call on 01726 843461 so I can discuss this with you and hopefully encourage you to come back to the Llawnroc Hotel where our chef would be happy to prepare something different for you. Apologies again.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

From the moment we arrived to the minute we left, my wife and I were made to feel very welcome. We got a good deal by booking from the hotels own website (4 nights for the price of 3) and were still upgraded (FOC) to a superb Sea view room with a balcony. The decor is fresh and modern and the room we stayed in (room 3) is a good size with a fabulous bed. The bathroom is well fitted out and, I was glad to see, included a bath which was very welcome after some of the long walks over the cliff paths. The public lounges and bar areas are comfortable and not too cramped. The outside patio areas are provided with lots of seating, and give a great view over the village and out to sea. After reading some of the other reviews, I was prepared for some sloppy service from the waiting staff. But, over our short stay, I have to say we experienced nothing of the sort, the staff were very attentive and served us pleasantly and quickly. The 1 meal and bottle of sparkling wine we had in the Gwineas restaurant (Wedding Anniversary 22nd Sept) was very good. I would say the young waitress that served us was a little inexperienced, but her charm and friendliness more than made up for it. All in all, I think the Llawnroc is good value for money, excellently positioned in one of the quaintest little villages in South Cornwall, ideal for a base to visit the whole of the Roseland Peninsula, which has many gems to see. We enjoyed our stay very much and would definitely recommend and return to the Llawnroc. The only thing that could improve this hotel would be to add a swimming pool.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed for one night over the weekend, on a deal which included dinner, bed and breakfast. Although the published rates are pricey, it is worth shopping around and also checking out the hotel’s own website, as some of the deals make staying here much better value.

Our first impression wasn’t too cheery, as we found the décor in the stairway and along the corridor more in keeping with a faceless Radisson hotel in London than this picturesque fishing village. However, the room itself was superb, very comfortable – again, a little clichéd ‘boutique’ rather than giving any sense of the local area, but the facilities were excellent (though the thermostat on the air-con only goes down to 18 degrees – too hot for us!). Comfortable bed and bedding, lovely bathroom, the room was an excellent size, too. A bulb had gone, we mentioned it to reception while we ate, and it had been replaced by the time we went back upstairs. We decided not to pay the £30 extra charged for a sea-view; public areas in the hotel all look over the sea, including residents’ lounge. At this time of year, and with a check-out time of 11am, it would have worked out at about an extra £5 an hour.

As well as the superb bedroom, the food is of a very high quality indeed. We had a lovely 3-course evening meal, with very friendly, prompt and attentive service. The cooked breakfast was also superb, with excellent locally sourced ingredients. However, service was an area which let them down, with only one waitress, and some lack of attention to detail. It took 20 minutes for a pot of tea to be served, and a further 25 minutes before breakfast arrived. I think this is an area that they can improve on, with perhaps one more person serving, and remaining in the dining area to oversee that the buffet is replenished promptly. On checking out there was an overcharge error of £100 in our bill, but this was promptly rectified as soon as it was pointed out.

There is a lot of effort and commitment here, and some of the negative remarks of other reviews must be disappointing for them. There are some things that need tweaking, certainly, but the basics of a good night’s sleep and great food are there already. 95% there, I’d say!

Room Tip: Don't pay the extra for a sea view unless it really matters to you, sea views available in all p...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review, I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. You will be happy to hear that we have just employed a very professional Breakfast Supervisor who is ironing out all the little problems we had in the breakfast room, and that department is now on the same level as the other departments. So I am sure you will be over-impressed on your next visit, see you then and thanks again..

Reviewed September 17, 2012

We staid at this lovelly hotel for 3 nights from 9th - 12th September 2012. The evening meal in the Goran restaurant was excellent and the staff all very friendly. We thoroughly recommend this hotel. If you're budget can stretch to a sea facing room we would recommend you do this as the rooms overlooking car park spacious but a little on the dark side.

Room Tip: We had a room facing car park which was lovelly but a little dark.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind words, it is lovely to get such wonderful feedback from our guests. Let me know when you want to stay again and I will ensure that you get one of our sea-view rooms. Speak to you soon.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

My husband chose this place as a surprise meal to celebrate our wedding anniversary. It took some getting to but was well worth it. We had a lovely evening and enjoyed beautifully served and good quality food.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your wonderful review, I am delighted that you spent your anniversary with us and enjoyed it so much; hopefully we will see you back with us again before your next anniversary. Thanks again

Reviewed September 14, 2012

My wife and I had a very enjoyable stay 10th Sept --14th Sept 2012.It is a pity the Goran restaurant is not used for the evening meals.The ambiance of the bistro does not match the quality of food served ,which is excellent.The staff although young as mentioned in other reviews were very friendly and not deserving of some of the earlier critical reviews. Would we stay again ,yes we would and we have stayed in many quality hotels over many years.

Room Tip: If staying at this hotel suggest we recommend the sea view rooms with a balcony .Extra cost well wo...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Llawnroc022, Jess Bryant- Manager at The Llawnroc Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, as well as the Bistro and our staff. We are looking to soften the interior of the Bistro in the winter to create that special ambiance.
Thank you, and hope to see you back in Gorran Haven soon.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

We have just spent 6 nights at the Llawnroc and it has been one of the most relaxing breaks we have had for many years.

Our main reason for the choice of hotel was its proximity to attractions such as the Eden Project, The Lost Gardens and Lanhydroc House as well as the ratings from sites such as Truip Advisor.

However, the actual expreience was far better than we had envisaged.

The staff were excellent and could not have been more helpful, attentive and welcoming
The room allocated was all we could have wished for, extremely clean with good furnishings, plenty of space, with good facilities.
The hotel had a separate guests lounge with plenty to occupy those who wished to have a quite night away from the bar
The Hotel had a top class resaurant with a classic and specials menu, which was so good we stayed there for most of our evening meals, even though we had originally planned to eat out most nights.

Finally; its location which in in the wonderfully quiet village of Goran Haven, which made for a restful evening, following our visits to attractions and site across South Cornwall.

I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

What a great review, thank you. We enjoyed having you hear just as much as you enjoyed being here. I am glad that you got out and about to see all the lovely attractions this area has to offer, we are in a great spot , close to everything but far enough to relax in a quite environment.
Thank you again, and hope to see you soon

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gorran Haven
The Alverton
The Alverton
#1 of 4 in Truro
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay

Been to The Llawnroc Hotel? Share your experiences!