“Great fish and plenty of chips”
Review of The Haven Takeaway

The Haven Takeaway
Dining options: Takeout
Dining options: Takeout
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Have been coming to this fish and chips for about eight years now. The service is always good. I will mention that the fish is not on a warming tray keeping hot but is cooked fresh to order. So, it will mean a 10-15 minute wait as it is freshly prepared. The cod has a delicious batter and tastes good and crunchy. The plaice is breaded and tastes a bit plain with the breading on it. The chip portions are enormous and rather plain. They really should have a small, medium and large size. I got one portion and we ended up throwing half of it away - there was too much in a single portion even for two people. I think the fries would taste better half cooked until soft throughout, left to cool and then fried on order to give a crispy outside and soft inside which is the way it is done on the continent.
The meal for one large cod, one plaice and a portion of chips was £12 and some change.
I think when I go back next time will get the fish and make my mash at home.
Definitely well worth it and will come back again and again.
I see they have also expanded the menu to include pies etc.
Bon appetit.
Another caution. Phone before going as the shop is open at unusual hours and is sometimes closed. The phone number is on the TA site for the place. You can phone your order in if you do not want to wait and they will have it ready for you when you get there.

2  Thank MartinR4961
There are newer reviews for The Haven Takeaway

Reviewed May 6, 2014

We Purchased fish and chips x 2
The cod should have been white and flaky but this was grey and hard, sorry to say it was awful, honestly the worst fish and chips we have ever had, the fish all went in the bin, the chips not much better, managed to eat some but they also ended up in the bin.
The people were friendly and the service was good, just a shame the food didn't match up

Rebekahmarie, Manager at The Haven Takeaway, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2014

We are very sorry that you had a bad experience on visiting our chip shop. As you can see from our other reviews, this is not typical of our standard. We take your comments very seriously and will do our upmost to prevent sub-standard quality in the future. We apologise sincerely.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

I originally intended to go to get fish & chips at Megavissey, however the parking there is a bit of a nightmare and a little distance from the fish and chip shops so instead I went to Goran Haven based on Trioadvisor reviews. The fish & chips were first rate, all cooked to order (no heated cabinet for the cooked fish to dry out in). The batter was just right, i.e not too much so that it is more like batter with a small fish. The chips were not greasy.

Note the opening hours are limited at the time of year I went (5-8pm) and not everyday.

2  Thank Stuart B
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We live in Cyprus and always yearn for British fish and chips. So often what we get is not what we hoped for. Not so at the Haven. Our holiday apartment was a very short walk away, so we were able to eat the freshly-cooked fish and chips virtually straight from the fryer. The batter was crisp, the fish delicious and the chips perfect. None of it was greasy. We thought it the best fish and chips we'd eaten for several years. Our portions were fine, although we did pay for Large portions. Probably not the cheapest, but worth every penny in our opinion.

2  Thank TessaPolis
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Well ... It is the only chippy in Gorran Haven - that said it is pretty good - but not brilliant. I have been lucky enough to eat at some fabulous chip shops and can say fairly confidently that this is not up with the very best. That said the food is cooked fresh and the fish is very tasty and well cooked. The batter is better than many, not too stodgy, but the best batters are often either beer based and have a great taste and texture or a tempura style and are light and easy to eat. The main gripe would be the portion sizes - they are on the small side and the prices are on the high side - you do not get good value for money here. I was disappointed with the scampi, I was (naively) hoping for locally caught produce, and instead got a deep fried supermarket product. My advice to the owners would be to up your portion size a little, deal in local produce where you can and split your menu into daytime products for the beach (cheap and cheerful) and evening products for take away (local, good quality).

2  Thank MLAJF