“Fantastic views”

The Cormorant Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Golant
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Living locally we decided to try The Cormorants restaurant. It was everything anyone could wish for, fantastic views of the riiver Fowey, superb cuisine,beautifully presented, the staff were really lovely, we had a nice romantic evening. Thanks to all of you, you made us feel very special!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
CormorantHotel, Owner at The Cormorant Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your Dinner at The Cormorant. It is indeed a special location, and our Chef is great, we agree, and we try to give everyone a very special evening.
Thank you for your kind review. Come back to us during the autumn and winter - locals can join the winter dining club and receive discounts.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

We did not stay at the hotel we just ate at the restaurant which was excellent. The service is perfect, the view is great and the food is very good. We went as a special treat for my birthday and very glad we did.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

We booked here for a week as I'd decided back in March when the rain was particularly heavy to find a lovely B and B in or around Fowey.I.spotted this and thought ah an indoor pool. Lovely. Very relaxing. Add to that a balcony to enjoy the view and we would both be happy bunnies!
Rather more than we usually pay but I hoped it would be special.
Sorted. I agree with other reviewers that the I:2 approach road and the parking was a bit off putting but we coped.... Well my husband did with instructions of course!
We were shown to our room and it only had a Juliet balcony. My husband did ring down and say we had asked for a balcony but I had not specified a sitting "on" balcony...( mind you I had said my husband was looking forward to sitting on it reading)!! To be fair they would've moved us to one on the Sunday which would be the 4th day of our holiday so we decided not to bother. Bit disappointed but we'd booked for dinner and down we went. This was lovely, superbly presented and delicious.Pricey we felt bet as a one off was worth it.
The waiters were all very attentive and throughout our stay were all very nice. Hannah particularly couldn't have done more to look after us.
My biggest disappointment was the pool. Closed for three days of our stay because of maintenance problems and I can understand it not being manned but it was sad that they couldn't sort it out. Another couple I met there felt as I did as that was what made the hotel special.
The setting was lovely but not 5 star accommodation. The gardens needed a lot of T L C and I agree that the walls were thin and the room we had was adequate but not that great.
The best thing of all was having a beautiful breakfast on the terrace with the estuary laid out below us.

1  Thank royalblueEngland
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Have just spent 3 nights at The Cormorant- it was a lovely stay. Comfortable room with balcony &views of Fowey river. Attentive & friendly service & wonderful food. The narrow approach road is a tad exciting but worth it once you arrive !

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We have been lucky enough to stay on three occasions at this beautifully situated hotel.My husband wanted to book their beautiful Cormorant Room,which has a fabulous view from the bath,overlooking the Fowey.At the time of booking it was already reserved,none the less,we booked a premier room instead.Upon arrival,a lovely surprise was that they had upgraded us to The Cormorant Room for free,as it had become available and they had remembered our original request for this lovely room.All of the staff are extremely polite and professional without being intrusive.The little touches,such as canapés before choosing your meal,in the lounge,along with serving your drinks,is what makes the service and staff just a cut above the other luxury hotels we have stayed at.
We used the fantastic indoor pool they have along with the hot tub,again on our own as not being a huge hotel,chances are,you have to yourselves.
The food is superb,could not fault it.I failed miserably at finishing my meal as I was full by the mains! Would recommend this hotel without reservation.It has charm,fantastic views of the river and watching the to and fro of the boats on the water,whilst sat on a balcony,in the peace and quiet,is a touch of heaven.
The beds are huge and incredibly comfy.The room and bathroom spotless.

Room Tip: Go for The Cormorant or premier if you can but any one of them will not disappoint.
1  Thank AlisonPickle
Reviewed June 19, 2013

A bit hard to find, but well worth the effort. We spent three nights in the Cormorant Room, which was an absolute delight, with a fabulous view, its own private balcony, a huge bathroom, and a comfortable bed. The restaurant served a delicious breakfast. We also found the dinners quite good and a welcome retreat after a long day of driving around the Cornwall countryside. The staff were exceptionally nice and helpful.

Room Tip: We upgraded to the Cormorant Room and found it to be so delightful that it was worth the extra money...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank montCalifornia
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Stayed for a few nights in March as a brief post-wedding 'mini-moon'.
Golant is a fantastically sited village- a few 'hairy' lanes to negotiate, but well worth the trip.
The Hotel is in a fantastic spot, overlooking the estuary with stunning views from bedroom, restaurant and bar. I did find the rate somewhat high for the bedroom product, but the view counters the higher than expected room rate for the class of hotel.
Breakfast was really good, much better than other Hotels that I have stayed at. Dinner, again, perhaps a tad overpriced, but the service was absolutely perfect, attentive, anticipative and yet not intrusive.
Hotel and grounds spotlessly maintained, adequate parking and total peace and quiet. In general the staff were excellent, although I did feel one team member a little bit on the officious side initially, but during our stay she seemed to 'warm'. Perhaps a bad day...
I would certainly stay again and would recommend...though if it wasn't for the priceless view and location, I may have left feeling a lack of value for money.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Golant
The Old Quay House Hotel
#1 of 9 in St Austell
Fowey Hall
Fowey Hall
#2 of 3 in Fowey

Been to The Cormorant Hotel? Share your experiences!