“Busy eaterie”
Review of Finnygook Inn

Finnygook Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Crafthole
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dumfries and Galloway, United Kingdom
“Busy eaterie”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Having spent the afternoon on the beach at Downderry, we passed here hoping to get a table. We probably got the last available table as all the others had reserved signs on them. We were shown through the back and were seated in a very busy dining room. We were handed the menus and had to go through to the bar to order drinks, then again to order the food. That was the downside, especially when it was so busy. Hey ho. We had 2 children with us aged 6 and 4, they were brought the child's portion of scampi and the child's ham and eggs. Great sized portions (they had more chips than the adults) and well presented and the children did their utmost to clean their plates. I had the haddock and chips and my friend ordered the lamb. The haddock was great, but the chips were disappointing, don't get me wrong, they tasted fine but were served hidden under the fish and were not shaped liked chips but were in 'bits'?? Could also have done with more. The lamb was served pink, the usual nowadays. Unfortunately, my friend could not eat it as she likes her meat cooked more. On hindsight, we should have sent the plate back, but we did not fancy queuing at the bar again and the waiting staff were rushed off their feet. We did try to catch their attention with no luck. I feel the staff should have informed us that the lamb was cooked pink when we first ordered and I could have requested it well done? The kids enjoyed their meals and we thought ours okay. Also quite expensive. Would I go back? No

• Visited August 2013
lowrider186258, Manager at Finnygook Inn, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Sorry that your dining experience was affected by the rush. We have had some extremely busy services during the season! We do drink orders at the bar, and those sitting in the bar are also asked to order at the bar. We did have a couple of days when the chips were made too small and thus were very thin and crispy so this must have been when you visited us. They are back to being "proper" chips now I am happy to say! Come try us again next time!

Staffs
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We were staying close by in Downderry. As the Blue Plate was closed and not being impressed with the other local option, we chose the Finnygook Inn. From welcome to goodbye it was excellent. A friendly welcome by a male I assume was the manager, he directed us to the bar and the lady behind the bar took our drink order and then took us to our table. The restaurant was busy and the atmosphere good. My husband and son really wanted garlic bread to start with which wasn't on the menu. No problem at all as they said they would make some for them. I had the mackerel pate which was superb. My son wanted something quite plain and simple so we requested that the sausage option be adapted for him. Again, no problem. It was a good sized portion and very tasty. My husband had the pork belly and I had the chicken in tarragon sauce. It was all delicious. My only disappointment was that I didn't have room for dessert as the choice was excellent. In fact I wouldn't have been able to choose just one. If I had to pick something that niggled me, it would be the same friendly bar lady being quite abrupt with me when I was stood reading the story of Finnygook by the bar. Husband was paying and she looked and me and "yes, what's wrong?" No big deal, she was busy but it was a but abrubt.
Highly recommend and will be back when we revisit relatives in the area.

• Visited July 2013
Thanks for you comments. I'm glad you enjoyed the food and service, and I am sorry if the lady's comment was a bit abrupt at the end. A shame after everything else had been so enjoyed! I am sure she did not mean to be rude, but like you say, was just busy and so came across as being a bit short. We hope to see you again. Max the manager tells a particularly good version of the Finny story so just ask him next time!
Derbyshire
“Be prepared to wait.”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We stayed just down the road from this place, it looks nice from the outside and it's nice with a cosy feel inside. Would be loverly on a warm winters day, but during a heat wave with no air con you melt.
We had a table booked at 7.30 but when we got our meals they came out at 9, so be prepared to wait a long time. Food was ok, not a lot on the plate for what you pay. Pudding was nice and plenty of it. Prices around average for a pub meal.

Visited July 2013
Sorry that you experienced a delay with the food. We should certainly have supplied some bread and olives for such a long wait, which is our usual procedure. As for being too warm, we are a small country pub and certainly do not have air conditioning. Only windows! Sometimes it can get quite warm, (particularly for staff rushing around!!) but usually with the windows open it is usually a nice temperature.
Barnsley
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointing!”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Starters were good!
I ordered sirloin steak but what arrived was a 10mm thick ribeye.
The 'steak' was very tough..I did not eat it!!
No explanation was given for the error.
They did not charge me for the steak but charged me £6:50 for chips+tomatoe+1 mushroom.
Would not go again!!
On the upside they are pleasant people!

Visited July 2013
lowrider186258, Manager at Finnygook Inn, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
I'm very sorry that the steak was wrong. The last few days we have been trying out rump, sirloin and ribeye and seeing which one is the best. You should have been told that the day's steak was a ribeye and you should certainly not have been charged as it wasn't what you ordered, whether or not it was tough. I hope that you come back.. I can guarantee that steaks have been sorted out!
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
“It's really gone downhill”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

If you wanted to be greeted by a tatty haired tatoo and intresting peircing female who refers to you as 'you guys' and is more suitably dress for customers in Kings Cross then this is the place for you. The warm welcome consists of 'have you booked?' and 'finished with that' meaning, did you enjoy your meal and may I take your plates away gives the resturant an atmosphere only reminence of a dive. Don't expect your requests for a glass of wine, the dessert menu or some cutlery to be addressed, it's not that it's to much trouble, it's just a case of once they have turned their back on you your forgotten. We didn't ask for a refund there was no need, they can't read their own haandwriting so the bill was underpaid, bonus!
Deeply saddened that it's come to this as they food is suberb.

• Visited July 2013