“Poor standard and disinterested service”
Review of Finnygook Inn

Finnygook Inn
Finnygook Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Crafthole B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We stayed here as part of a walking trip. The room was double-booked and two walkers (male)were offered a double bed and a child's camp bed. (with a straight face !).

Evening meal was fine, if expensive.

Breakfast was pitiful with poor cooking, indifferent and slow service.

Avoid if you can.

Room Tip: Ensure they have not double booked
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank alfie090

Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

We stopped here for supper one evening in August, and staff - all ladies seemed friendly. We ordered their dearest bottle of wine which was slopped into the glass, the waitress then managed to knock one glass before I'd even tried it and I asked For another new bottle to be brought over, and the other glasses of my family to be removed the manager I assume came over and said did I want a clean glass !!!! she would not replace the bottle but would offer us all puddings, we weren't sure if we would be hungry so declined and after some negotiation we got the original bottle minus what has been wasted for half price, however the attitude of the manager was quite off, as if it was all our fault, we only wanted a bottle that we had ordered and we didn't get that due to untrained waitresses, the food is fine and quite tasty, but staff need training and manager needs to review her attitude to her guests, all in all the place seems to need proper senior management, the staff seemed to do as they wanted - rather free range!

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank Rummum
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We booked a room with en suite facilities (recommended); the room was very good, the bed enormous (and comfortable). The fussy traveller would moan about the fact that one drawer front was missing but it didn't affect us. Breakfasts were quick and the full english worthy of the name. We ate in the restaurant on one evening that we were there (out of 4) and the food was excellent, if slightly pricey. Bar was fine, on the occasions that we used it. Must mention the cat (not theirs) which is late teens, deaf, has been run over a couple of times and consequently has little fear and, as one of the staff said, "doesn't give a fig about anything" - spends most evenings sat just outside or trying to get in. Quite amusing. We would recommend the Finnygook, based on our experience, which was a good one.

Room Tip: Choose a room with en-suite facilities. Some rooms do not have this and a shared bathroom seems to u...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Decidedly average is about the best thing I can say about this place. I had a room where the bathroom was along the corridor - the booking said that the bathroom would be for my own personal use but as another reviewer mentioned, the fact the towels and soap were in my room, made me think the bathroom was actually shared. My room was at the end of a corridor where the
light didn't work so it was difficult to see where the doorlock was (especially in the middle of the night). One particularly disconcerting incident was that I had just nodded off to sleep when I was awoken by the light coming on and a man walking out of my room! This left me to assume that the door wasn't secure or all guests had the same key - either way, it meant I did not sleep well. In the morning, I informed the breakfast waitress (who was the only member of staff who was available to check out with), she apologised and explained it must have been the duty manager and that she would ask the manager to phone me to explain what had happened. 6 days later and I am still waiting for the call.
Breakfast was OK, but the waitress seemed to be a little disorganised, bringing coffee to the table but no cups to drink it from. The fruit juice on offer was warm and overall, the quality of the food was very average. I wouldn't stay again!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Lisa P
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Me and my partner went here for some lunch having been to the finnygook inn a few times before to eat. Lunch was ok nothing special I had the BLT baguette which came with hardly any bacon in and no butter In it either! it was served with enough salad to feed a bunch of rabbits!, but it was ok it could if been better though. My partner had the ham egg and chips which was ok but again nothing special, considering we have been a few times before it seemed the standards of food had dropped!. having said all that the other times we have eaten there it was lovely.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We were really disappointed by this place. We were asked when we arrived if we wanted to reserve a table for dinner and we said we did. Our room key ring included a key to a bathroom down the corridor and as our towels and soap were on our bed we assumed we were sharing the bathroom which was a bit disconcerting. Our bedroom window was wide open (it was a hot day) but a car parked immediately beneath it would have enabled anyone to climb into our room easily. Annoying, given the heat, that we felt we had to shut the window when we left the room. When we came down to dinner, we were left standing around for ages as one person handed us over to another - clearly no reservation had been made. The meal was fine.
Our real complaint is that, having been told that the hotel would opened up at 8.20 am and breakfast served from 8.30, we came down with our bags at 8.30 am to find all doors locked and no sign of life. We peered in the kitchen (which looked none too clean) and saw someone moving in there. Eventually he emerged and when we said everything seemed to be locked up and we would like breakfast as it was well after 8.30, he didn't apologize and muttered something about the waitress who served breakfast being new, but he would 'take care of it'. We went into the dining room and were appalled at how dirty it was - not properly cleared up after the night before - tables with crumbs on them, table tops horribly sticky (the upturned fruit juice glasses on our table were stuck to the table!). The coffee was awful and we had lost so much time we had to forego the cooked breakfast (which in any case didn't appeal as the kitchen dining room and the boy serving us all looked as if they could do with a good wash!). We never saw the waitress who serves breakfast.
Our verdict was that it is a place that is living off a reputation acquired some time ago and we got the distinct impression that we were being "looked after" by people down there on holiday for whom guests were not very high on their list of priorities.

Room Tip: If you like to keep the window open, don't have the room with the window overlooking the road...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Elizabeth M
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We were staying overnight at the Finnygook as part of attending our Son's passing out parade at HMS Raleigh at Torpoint. Upon arrival we were met warmly by the staff and shown to our room (No.6), which had a fantastic view through to the Tamar valley. The room was en-suite and decorated to a high standard with a comfy bed and tea making facilities. The menu for our evening meal was well balanced with something for all tastes, with good service and an extensive wine list. We chose Sirloin steaks which were cooked perfectly with an amazing Eton Mess to finish, not a night to be counting the calories! The full English breakfast was also up to the mark and we left vowing to return when next in the area. All in all a very enjoyable stay, and we would thoroughly recommend the Finnygook Inn for facilities, food, ambience and service.
Mike and Debbie Caple

Room Tip: No 6 en-suite double has the best views overlooking the Tamar Valley
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Finnygook Inn? Share your experiences!