“I found the owner friendly and helpful and the accomadation comfortable and homely. The food as great”

The Countryman Hotel
The Countryman Hotel
Ranked #11 of 13 Camelford B&B and Inns
Advent England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

I found the owner helpful and friendly,the accommodation homely and comfortable and the breakfast very good. Ample parking and assistance with suitcases. Close to the centre of Camelford with good pubs and restaurants but little traffic noise.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank huggy434

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Lincoln, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

I stayed at The Countryman 3 times, the last being this month. I agree that it does need some updating, but I have always found the rooms to be clean and comfortable. Mick (the owner) can sometimes be a little too helpful, but he has good intentions. Breakfast is very good, with a huge choice. Ample parking spaces, and a short walk into Camelford town centre. Also a short drive to many of the scenic towns and villages, including Port Isaac, Boscastle, and Tintagel.

Room Tip: Some rooms are not en-suit, so ask for one, also if you phone up the hotel directly you will get a b...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hoogeveen, Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for two nights in August.
Thankfully we had two rooms with en suite, I suppose that's the standard of Bureau ScanBrit with who we booked this trip.

The hotel was easy to find, and has its own private parking.
Its location is good, just outside of the center of Camelford.
Unfortunately it looks quite old and slightly worn from the outside.

The owner is quite friendly and very helpful. When we checked in he immediately gave us tips for things to see and do. Only he had a tendency to pop up whenever we went out in the downstairs hall or came back after a day out. We are used to a more anonymous stay, where we aren't asked where we're going or what we did today. So that was weird for us, but I'm sure other people would appreciate that.

The rooms are quite big, but slightly dated, especially the bathrooms. The plumbing in my room was some sort of olive green... But it was all clean. Even the carpet in the shower didn't show signs of damp.
The rooms go by a theme. I had a red theme, which means red flowery wallpaper, red carpet, a red throw and red flowery curtains. My parents' theme was blue. I think that shows dedication from the owners, and I personally quite like it.
What I really liked was the vintage built in radio on the headboard. Other than that there was also a tv in the room.
Unfortunately the rooms have single glazing, and some rooms face the rather busy street. This sometimes makes it hard to hear the tv or even each other. The walls are also quite thin, so whenever someone walked up or down the hallway I could everything they said. Even when they weren't in front of my door.

Breakfast was good. Full English and toast to order, and enough of everything.
The Countryman doesn't serve dinner, so the owner told us about the other restaurants and pubs in town. As there was the Gorsedh taking place, he told us to either go early or make reservations at one of the restaurants. As we don't like to plan that far ahead, we ended up taking out Fish and Chips from the number 2 chippie in the UK, which was really very good.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

I have stayed at the Countryman Hotel on several occasions over the years, and always look forward to a friendly welcome. Not luxurious, but our room was clean and comfortable, breakfast was also well presented and enjoyable. The hotel is within walking distance of a few local shops and pubs. It's also an ideal base when visiting this part of Cornwall, I also received some great recommendations of local places to visit. Good value, friendly and happy to recommend.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank onholiday2906
Worcestershire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

A disappointing hotel, faded round the edges. Only shower was in bathroom on first floor (we were on the second floor) and this was one of those in the bath where you pull a button to divert the water up a flexible hose to the shower head (ie not a separate proper shower) . None of the 3 of us could get the water to stay hot once you switched to shower and ended up taking a bath. On mentioning this to the landlord in the morning his comment was that 'Oh its a knack'. I said that none of the three of us had managed it to which he replied 'Well its been like that for the last 21 years and everyone else has been OK with it'.
That tells you all you need to know about the need for renovation in the hotel, and for the limited quality of the facilities. Also perhaps about the attitude of the landlord - it was our fault we hadn't got the elusive knack!
I would not recommend this hotel nor use it again unless significant improvements are made, it does not represent value for money when compared to other hotels of B&Bs.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Camelford hotels

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

We stayed in june as a family, we were given a double room with an adjoining twin room for the kids. rooms were immaculately clean and comfortable.
Breakfast was great with plenty of choice and nothing was too much trouble.
what can I say a very peacefull and freindly place to stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank DAVID E
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2012

As this was a working trip, I and my working colleagues had been booked into this hotel by a customer. My colleagues, who had stayed in this hotel previously, refused to stay here and booked themselves into another hotel. I decided to give the hotel a fair chance. I was given a small tatty room which had a sloping ceiling and the bed was positioned in such a way that I bumped my head several times! There were other issues (shared bathroom, unpleasant sheets), but by far the worst complaint about this B&B is that not only did I have to pay for the room in advance, but I was charged for a night I didn't use the room. At the outset I explained to the proprietor (Michael) that I wasn't sure how long the job would last and didn't know if I would require the room for two or three nights. In the event, I only stayed for two nights, but Michael refused to refund all or part of my payment for the third night! His attitude can only be described as unhelpful, unpleasant and aggressive. I can now fully appreciate why my colleagues refused to stay here and I can say for certain that I also will never stay in this B&B again! I will pass my experience onto the customer who made the original booking!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business