“Improvements are needed”
Review of Lowenac Hotel

Lowenac Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Camborne
Reviewed October 26, 2012

My daughter got married here in August and although we were very unlucky with the rain all day, we thought at least the reception would be perfect. But unfortunately, my expectations were not met!. The whole affair was so understaffed that we, on the top table - and several others I hasten to add, did not even get a bread roll with the starter, nor did I, as mother of the bride get offered any champagne to toast the couple - coffee didn't arrive either and the whole meal was mediocre, there were not even enough vegetables to go between about six of us at the end of the table. Several of the guests tables also experienced a lack of champagne/coffee and bread rolls!. I learned later that the new chef had only been there a week and that one of the waitresses was indeed an unpaid partner to somebody working there. There was no coordination and in their reply to my complaint letter, they said that the young couple did not want a master of ceremonies (at extra cost of course), and when I asked my daughter, she said they were not even asked if they wanted one!. Thankfully, our very efficient and lovely two photographers stepped in to make everything flow with the speeches etc. It was even their idea to put the welcoming drinks of orange/champagne into the shape of a heart - as the Lowenac lacked imagination in some of the finer details. We were told the day before my daughter's wedding, that we could pop along the night before to add the finishing touches to the tables, i.e. table decorations/place cards/favour boxes etc., only to be told that we couldn't now - as they'd taken a last minute booking for a Quiz night which in all fairness, they said could happen but when it did, this added further stress on the morning of the wedding getting everything in place for our arrival. Several of our guests stayed the night, and in one of the rooms, my friend reported that the cold tap didn't even work - hence she had to buy bottled water for a drink during the night! and she commented that the rooms are in desperate need of refurbishment too. I will say that the use of their black Bentley was good and the driver was very kind as he dropped us back between the church and the reception to collect the photographers lenses bag which he had forgotten. Also, the grounds were lovely as we had the use of them in unharnessing the lovely black Friesian horses for the bride and groom to be photographed with on the lawns and the rain had stopped for a while. But overall, it just felt like they'd got our money and they just want it all done and dusted and as quickly as possible - to hell with the fact that this would hopefully be the only wedding day my daughter will ever have. Take note, Lowenac - you will be losing further bookings if you don't improve your facilities and staffing levels, although having said that, your present staff were very friendly, but obviously over-stretched and unable to cope adequately with the task in hand. Very disappointed indeed...

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Denise H

Reviewed September 28, 2012

My husband and I got married here. All of the staff were very friendly the day before the wedding and on the day of the wedding but their true colours were on show the day after. I found the bridal suit was very dirty and even had to get the cleaner in to come and clean as I was really put off by the amount of dirt. Our en suit bathroom was very old and dated and you had to walk past a glass fire exit door which had no nets or curtains on it so you had to make sure you were fully clothed so the neighbours didn't see you. The bridal suit had a very cold feel to it and was not romantic or plush. I cannot fault the actual day of the wedding apart from the fact that the beautiful staircase had not been hoovered, it looked like it hadn't been hoovered for several days. The manager was very helpful and we were lucky to have the whole hotel for our wedding. We had 52 guests to the service and I must admit that I feel it was too many for the size of the hotel and we even had 2 rooms rather than the usual 1. We opted for a buffet which was lovely. The table clothes were very dirty but we got around that by placing table confetti on the stains. The breakfast there was very very nice. The only improvements I could suggest would be to update the bathroom, totally redo the bridal suit so it is more romantic and has a warmer feel to it. It has a lovely open fire which would make a fantastic feature. The cleaner needs replacing and the rude attitude the day after could do with changing. It felt as if we were buttered up until they had had our money and then we were just in the way.
I would have my wedding there again as the day was amazing. I would not have their car again though. We live 5 minutes from the hotel and they charged us £175 to pick my husband up and drive him a mile down hill to the hotel. A few changes and a proper wedding planner would make this the perfect location. It has lots of potential.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Emma O
Reviewed August 26, 2012

A few days in Camborne to see the relatives and decided to stay here rather than impose on them. Have stayed here before and it I would describe it as totally suitable. The staff are pleasant and the owner Martin is obviously trying hard in grim times and with Camborne as an unlikely tourist destination. My single room was better appointed than at first glance, the shower took a while to work out and the extractor fan was noisy but the bed was clean and comfortable, with a wardrobe and desk, it was all I needed. Little things like a hair dryer, alarm clock, phone, and reading lights are often ignored in some hotels. The breakfast was great every day and apparently the evening meals are nice too. The bar is a little expensive but not prohibitively so, and the room rate was very good value for money. Ample parking and nice garden area, this hotel does well with rotary clubs and weddings. It only has 5 rooms I believe. Free wifi as well.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank TheNewVoyager
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Travelled from Birmingham to Camborne in July 2012 for a Service of Remembrance and
Dedication of the New Memorial Stone to my uncle and three other airmen who lost their lives at
Roscroggan in 1942. My single room at the Lowenac hotel was just perfect with a very comfortable bed and a television on which I saw the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games.
The architectural details are really striking in this hotel which,added to the friendly atmosphere,
made it really special.
Thank you for making my visit so rewarding I would have no hesitation in passing on details
to friends and family.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank stephen f
Reviewed July 5, 2012

The walk up a potentially beautiful staircase should have set alarm bells ringing - the staircase had not seen a hoover in a least a week, then at the top the bannister (although hard to access) was thick with dust. The paintwork was very grubby and in need of a good clean. I then enter the room, to be met with non matching bed linen in a twin room. The En-Suite bathroom must not be hard to clean, but obviously a bridge too far, not only greeted with a mustard suite, but hairs in the sink and shower is more of a trickle than a shower, I am a size 10 and struggled for space - god help anyone any larger! The bedding felt damp and the towels were well past their best. Breakfast was adequate, but dirty crockery for only 5 rooms is not really acceptable. Overall the hotel needs updating and a lot of TLC - the surroundings could be fabulous, but it looks as though someone has fallen out of love with this project.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Elljay7701
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I had to stay in Camborne on business. There are two hotels in the town and I went with this one.

The hotel building itself is MASSIVE, very much suitable for functions etc, however the number of rooms is very small. The decoration was best described as random, the WC had an ashtray and bottle opener that spoke of racier times in the past.

Drinking in the bar was welcome, relaxing and very reasonable. The food was excellent and great value. The room tea tray had hot chocolate on it, so many of the majors have stopped this but it really helps me sleep.

I travel a lot and independent hotels break up the monotony and brighten up my travels. This place certainly did.

Room Tip: Only a few to choose from no problems