“Fantastic food”

Langmans Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 26 Restaurants in Callington
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Fantastic food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

The food was really good - faultless and delicious but Gail was bossy to the point of rude to her only waitress, and also most unprofessional in calling across from the till " Do you want change Ian" when we paid the bill.

Our welcome gin and tonic was also swamped in tonic - most places let you decide how much of the bottle you want in the glass.

The wine was also excellent

• Visited October 2013
Gail B, Owner at Langmans Restaurant, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Cathy and Ian, Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent visit.

I am delighted you enjoyed the food and found it faultless. I must apologise if you felt I was rude, as everyone who knows us will know that would certainly not be my intention. I did ask about change, really to explain why I was leaving the bar to get it for you, so you would know where I was going with your bill, sorry if this came across in the wrong manner to you. I will certainly take more care to explain my disapperance with customer's cash if the same situation arises again.
I trust this did not spoil your overall enyoyment and hope you will return for another evening of excellent dining. Thank you. Gail

Plymouth
“Low key ambience with top quality food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

Enjoyed a perfectly sublime evening at Langmans on Saturday last. Be prepared to enjoy a full evening of delicously prepared food to challenge the most discerning of tastes. Anton has mastered the art of presentation and flavour balance on a plate perfectly. The choice to be made was duck or beef for main course and the rest was left in the capable hands of Chef. Gail and her waiting staff were splendid with their attention to detail and the evening was very relaxed. Particular praise for the John Dory, Beef and Langmans mess (pudding). I could become a glutton very easily on their version of Eton Mess. A good variety of cheeses and some lovely madeira helped the evening along quite nicely as well. all in all a restaurant worthy of higher accolades and one we hope to revisit quite soon.

• Visited September 2013
Gail B, Owner at Langmans Restaurant, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. Langmans Mess seems to have been a hit with everyone, it's lovely that Anton's personal take on Etons Mess has been so popular. The pudding menu changes this weekend so anyone whose missed it will have to wait until it appears again for their chance to enjoy!
We are pleased you enoyed your evening with us and hope you will return to us soon.
Best wishes Gail
Witney
“Superb food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

We had a wonderful evening at Langmans and the food was absolutely fantastic - so well presented and delicious. Also the 'wine flight' - trying a different wine matched to each course -made the experience even more special. We will definitely be returning when we are next in the area - we wish we lived closer so we wouldn't have to wait so long for our next visit!
Thank you so much to Gail and Anton for such an amazing dining experience.
Best wishes, Katy and Andy

• Visited September 2013
Gail B, Owner at Langmans Restaurant, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Many thanks for posting a review, we appreciate you taking the time to do that.

I love offering the wine flight to guests, it's a great way to sample six different wines and as you say, it does make the dining experience special. Plus it's a low risk way of trying wines you've never tasted before without having to buy a bottle!
I hope you make a return trip before too long. Let me know if you'd like me to help you book some accommodation.
Best wishes Gail
“Superb”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

We were recommended to this restaurant by a friend as we were in the area for a long weekend and what a recommendation it turned out to be.
From the moment we entered to the moment we left (some 4 hours or so later) we could not have been treated any better. At first we both thought a 7 course tasting menu would test our resolve and stamina but we should not have worried as each course arrived with just about the right amount of time in between, giving you ample time to appreciate what you had just had and had you looking forward to the next.
Each course was beautifully presented and tasted absolutely wonderful.
So thank you Gail and Anton for the most fantastic meal and dining experience we think we have ever had anywhere in the world and we are very much looking forward to visiting you again.

Visited September 2013
Thank you very much for your review. Wow! What an accolade you gave us.

The majority of our first time diners are a direct result of recommendation from friends or family and it's always a pleasure to meet their expectations. People are often surprised to be served food of such high quality in a tiny Cornish town. I hope you visit again and we would love to see you as diners. Best wishes Gail
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Most Enjoyable Experience...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

If you want a fantastic experience this is the place to visit.....

I have been to a number of "top" restaurants such as Gordon Ramsey's, Jamie Oliver's but to name a few, and the food we had at Langmans was equal if not better, the only difference is that you do not need to re-mortgage your house to enjoy top quality food.

The quality of the food alone makes this a great place to visit, but on top of this the host Gail really adds to the experience with her charming and embracing personality. Gail made us feel welcome from the moment we arrived. We feel like we said hello to a host and goodbye to a friend.

We live 300 miles away, but my wife and I will definitely make a point to visit again sometime.

• Visited September 2013
Thank you so much for your review. We really appreciate you taking the time to post on TripAdvisor and to point out what good value we are.
We would love you to make the 300 miles trip next time you can enjoy a break in Cornwall and of course, dine with us again. I love your comment that you felt you left the restaurant as as a friend. I certainly feel I have made some great friends during the 13 years we have been here and I look forward to making many, many more! Gail