“Treated like one of the family!”

Lower House Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Callington
Lower House Guest House
Ranked #2 of 11 Callington B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Tessa and Peter were the perfect hosts who welcomed me into their house like one of the family and not a paying guest! They provided food to die for throughout the day!! I worked in Tessa's studio and out and about. Nothing was too much trouble for either of them. I felt I could make myself a cuppa at any time. A fantastic few days hosted by two lovely people. Definitely a visit to be repeated!

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We absolutely loved our stay at Lower House, the breakfast's are amazing with so much choice, Peter and Tessa are a lovely couple, nothing was too much trouble, and were so helpful in answering all our questions about the area, and advising us on places to visit. If we are ever in that part of the country again we will definitely book to stay with them, as it was perfect.

Room Tip: Do not think there are any tips as such but I always look at the reviews I think they really help yo...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 1, 2013

It makes a real difference when you encounter such a warm welcome, especially to such an interesting home. I was immediately put at ease and felt like a personal rather than paying guest. The conversation was intellectually stimulating and broad ranging. The food was wonderfully presented and of the highest standard. The art around the house is wonderful (it is also an art school). I cannot recommend the hosts too highly, a memorable choice and very good value.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We had the home-cooked evening meal, which was delicious and good value. The breakfast was pretty amazing too - fresh fruit as on offer as well as everything else. Very nice room - overall, a great and peaceful place to stay! The garden looked nice, but we didn't have the weather.

Room Tip: We had "Untitled", window to the front, king size bed en-suite. Are my eyes failing, or...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2013

My wife and I have had the pleasure of staying at Lower House and Callington Art School on several occasions the last year. Being non-artistic Norwegians "lost" in Cornwall we have rarely found ourselves more welcome and comfortable in any other hotel we have visited. Despite a friendly price level, this is just so much more than a B&B hotel. The rooms are nice, clean and well equipped, the building is rich with cultural treasures of many kinds that create a special atmosphere and raise our curiosity for the arts of painting, music and literature, and both the lounge and the dinner room invite you to relax and involve yourself in social as well as artistic activities.

In the midst of it all the hosts Tessa and Peter are a remarkable couple, nice, friendly and hospitable, but seriously working to promote Lower House as being more than a regular hotel. We ourselves always enjoy being in their presence and experiencing their warmth as well as their academic knowledge level and unique human insight, Tessa being the art course organizer, and Peter being the hotel host and an exceptional cook. We should add that to us Peter actually is more of a chef than a cook, always preparing unforgettable English breakfasts and a large variety of high class dinners in his own kitchen.

Lower House is like coming home and finding you still have so much more in life to enjoy and to experience. Located in the midst of downtown Callington the hotel has no exstravagant facade on the outside, but once you are inside you feel its richness and exceptional atmosphere. Go there and enjoy your stay whatever you are looking for, be it a short holiday stay or a painting course.

Room Tip: All the rooms are individual and with different sizes, but nice and comfortable
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank kjelloe
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I recently booked a 3 day break here with my father featuring art workshops and a stay at Lower Guest house. Our expectations were exceeded at every turn. The house is lovely, homely, spotlessly clean bedrooms with ever comfort catered for. Tessa's tuition was matter of fact yet inspiring. She is gently persistent, endlessly patient and knowledgeable. I have never seen such an extensive art library and the studio was well-equipped and better than the ones I remember from college.

Now we get to the food. Dietary requirements were checked prior to our visit, my father having recently been informed he was diabetic, it was important. Peter knew more about diabetes than my father and we ate like kings! No trouble was spared, fabulous fare presented morning lunchtime and evening - he can cook anything and all from scratch! Peter's food is wonderful!. I have put on weight through sheer greed and still have yearnings and flashbacks to the most delicious game pie I have ever eaten.

We are looking to book a return visit at the earliest possible date. What a wonderful find!

:-)

Jennie.

Room Tip: Leave yourself in their hands...you cannot go wrong.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jennifer D
Reviewed April 14, 2013

After staying for the 6 day art course I was left very inspired to do more by Tessa'sgreat support and advice. Not only the best holiday I have had for years but also fab meals by Peter which were as artistic as anything we painted! Lovely room & such warm hosts that I felt I had lived there for years. Highly recommend both course and guest house to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo