“An Art school with a difference”

Lower House Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Callington
Lower House Guest House
Ranked #2 of 11 Callington B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We didn't stay at Lower House as we had booked a place earlier but once my wife visited Tessa and Peter we discovered a real gem of a place in the centre of Callington. In terms of a welcome, great food and a service the Lower House takes some beating. The art facilities and Tessa's commitment made sure my wife achieved great benefit from the classes. She was allowed to take up or miss out on parts of the course to suit her needs and she enjoyed every day as a result. The company of others on the course added to the enjoyment.

I had no interest in the classes but was made welcome to enjoy the peace of the garden as I wanted with regular tea and chats with Peter and the other guests. We decided to join dinner in the evenings and it was a the best decision. Food was varied, interesting and great to taste. I was encouraged to take as much or as little as I wanted and as a guest at the table made feel most welcome. If you need lodgings or are interested in an art course in Callington - this is the place. As far as costs go, the charge for each of the elements was very reasonable and you are left in no doubt what the costs are from the beginning with no add ons later.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 29, 2012

Tessa & Peter were the perfect hosts. Welcoming, thoughtful, generous & attentive, are just a few words that come to mind. An abundance of consistently high quality food was provided by Peter who puts in endless amounts of energy into all that he does. Tessa shared her artistic skills and expertise with a quiet calm and everlasting patience. I felt incredibly well looked after, wanted for nothing and left, full, fatter and fired up with enthusiasm to paint. Hopefully I will be able to return again in the future.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Not much more to say really, except that Peter and Tess struck just the right combination of helpfulness without being too intrusive.

We shared the house with an interesting Israeli lady, attending an art course run by Tess. I would classify the house as "comfortably bohemian" - interesting art graced the walls of the well appointed house.

A big fat cat lay on the landing basking in sunshine from the landing window; the smell of locally-sourced sausages sizzling in the kitchen hastened our approach to the breakfast table. Probably the biggest and best breakfast I've ever had - be careful not to challenge Pete with your appetite - you will lose....

Thanks again - we will return!

Nick and Mark Schroeder

Room Tip: Our room was perfect "work in progress" was its name from memory...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Fantastic week at Lower House; inspirational art by Tessa and the most delicious food by Peter - wonderful and welcoming; a real home from home. We were spoiled and didn't want to leave!

Looking forward to our next visit which will hopefully be very soon.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank MandyJohnson
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Wonderful ambience and be assured of a warm welcome and fantastic food - even vegetarian. Learned a lot from the art course with Tessa having great prespectives and patience. Good trips out. Thoroughly recommend accommodation and the course. A&M

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 3, 2012

I did a 6-day drawing & painting techniques course based in the studio in the old coach house attached to Lower House. The studio was bright, airy and well kitted-out. The course also included trips out to local beauty spots: inspirational! The accommodation in Lower House is roomy, very comfortable, clean and with en suite. Art works abound, by Tessa and a range of other artists. Tessa and Peter are excellent hosts and Peter's cooking merits special mention: a wide range of superbly prepared food, tailored to individual requirements (I am diabetic and Peter adapted the menus with no fuss); probably the best full English breakfast I have ever had; lunches and dinners also great and cooked to perfection. Whether you are doing a course or just want somewhere delightful to stay, this is the place!

Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 2, 2012

Peter and Tessa are just people who have to be met to be believed as they are full of soul, warmth and ooze kindness that makes you feel a wee bit loved up by the time you leave. I was brought a surprise Photography course for just my partner and myself. In the middle of April, with a "is it April already" type of year, I was transported into Lower House and I instantly relaxed. Peter and Tessa over a lovely cup of tea and biscuits on arrival, very cleverly got a "measure" of the type of course that would suit us whilst in general conversation. The following day we were taken to the most picturesque of places, with gentle hints and opportunities to get some of the best photos I have had the pleasure of taking so far! Just what we wanted, and if we had wanted a more hands on, intense course, that is exactly what they were capable of doing, their knowledge was extensive for sure. Some of the best bits though was the food, we were involved in our choices for evening meals, asked what we liked, enjoyed and then a menu was created for everyone's enjoyment. For the details, yes it's clean, yes nothing is too much trouble, and yes I would move heaven and earth to go back again, I couldn't imagine not, so that is what I call a B&B to remember.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple