“Very interesting!”

The Museum of Witchcraft and Magic
Ranked #2 of 10 things to do in Boscastle
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Museum of Witchcraft and Magic houses one of the world's largest collections of items relating to witchcraft, the occult and magic. With over 3000 objects, a wise woman's cottage, a herb garden and a shrine it is a memorable place. It has been in the picturesque Cornish coastal village of Boscastle since 1961 and is one of Cornwall's most popular museums rated highly on TripAdvisor. The Museum intrigues visitors with its collections of charms, curses, herbs and healing and sea witchcraft. Some of our most popular items are magical tools such as glass knitting needles, objects which were used for scrying such as black mirrors, crystals and crystal balls and our collection of protection talismans made by soldiers in the trenches of World War One. The Museum also has an extensive library with other 7000 books and an archive of documents which can be viewed online or visited by appointment.
Exeter, United Kingdom
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Very interesting!”
Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

We visited this in August as I'm interested in the occult, ghosts and witches although it was very interesting it did lack something. I was hoping to pick up a book about Salem or witches in Cornwall in the same time but they didn't really have a great deal in this area. It was quite interesting to see all of the names of witches from areas we are acquainted with today and wondering what it was like back then. Bit expensive though for what it is.

I will say it does look small on the outside but when you've walked around it you will be surprised how much is in there.

• Polish first
Devon, United Kingdom
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Fascinating museum”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

There is something here to interest most people: our party, ranging from 3 to 37 years, were fascinated by this small museum. The owners appeared kind and hospitable, and there are some intruiging displays (some of which are not for the faint hearted).

London
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Very interesting”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

The museum is in a lovely old building by the harbour and we had a friendly welcome. They've restored the building and exhibits brilliantly after being devastated by the 2004 flood. Although there are some fun exhibits, the history of witchcraft of course includes mentions of torture and persecution so some exhibits, while sympathetically presented - and I very much liked the Museum's emphasis on being inclusive to everyone and not judging books by covers - are rather gory so I wouldn't say the museum is suitable for young children. It was really thought-provoking though and some fascinating exhibits.

Sydney, Australia
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Excellent and Fascinating!”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I spent over an hour there and after had a lovely conversation with the man who manages it -- very warm, interesting and welcoming! I enjoyed my visit immensly and the beautiful village of Boscastle during my 5 days at Tintagel. I wanted to buy the beautiful hanging glass Labyrinth in the shop -- but I cannot fit any more in my luggage when I go back to Oz!

Fife
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Excellent museum.”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Lots to see, and fascinating glimpse into the history of the subject. Interesting exhibits and wonderful location. Thoroughly recommended.

Visited September 2012