“Very interesting”

The Museum of Witchcraft and Magic
Ranked #2 of 10 things to do in Boscastle
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Museum of Witchcraft and Magic houses one of the world's largest collections of items relating to witchcraft, the occult and magic. With over 3000 objects, a wise woman's cottage, a herb garden and a shrine it is a memorable place. It has been in the picturesque Cornish coastal village of Boscastle since 1961 and is one of Cornwall's most popular museums rated highly on TripAdvisor. The Museum intrigues visitors with its collections of charms, curses, herbs and healing and sea witchcraft. Some of our most popular items are magical tools such as glass knitting needles, objects which were used for scrying such as black mirrors, crystals and crystal balls and our collection of protection talismans made by soldiers in the trenches of World War One. The Museum also has an extensive library with other 7000 books and an archive of documents which can be viewed online or visited by appointment.
London
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Very interesting”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

The museum is in a lovely old building by the harbour and we had a friendly welcome. They've restored the building and exhibits brilliantly after being devastated by the 2004 flood. Although there are some fun exhibits, the history of witchcraft of course includes mentions of torture and persecution so some exhibits, while sympathetically presented - and I very much liked the Museum's emphasis on being inclusive to everyone and not judging books by covers - are rather gory so I wouldn't say the museum is suitable for young children. It was really thought-provoking though and some fascinating exhibits.

• Polish first
Sydney, Australia
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Excellent and Fascinating!”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I spent over an hour there and after had a lovely conversation with the man who manages it -- very warm, interesting and welcoming! I enjoyed my visit immensly and the beautiful village of Boscastle during my 5 days at Tintagel. I wanted to buy the beautiful hanging glass Labyrinth in the shop -- but I cannot fit any more in my luggage when I go back to Oz!

Fife
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Excellent museum.”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Lots to see, and fascinating glimpse into the history of the subject. Interesting exhibits and wonderful location. Thoroughly recommended.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank do_the_fandango
essex
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“was a good attraction 10/10”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

my fiancee and i visited in septemeber was a good attraction very intresting and useful a lot of useful facts good prices and set in a lovley village

Visited September 2012
Lowestoft, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Interesting items and displays”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Very interesting and some great collections of items from around the world. I'm not really a believer in witches but the museum gave me an insight into rituals and customs and after my visit I could understand why people carried out these rituals.