“gourmet food”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Boscastle
Glastonbury, England, United Kingdom
“gourmet food”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

The food and service in the Wellington's restaurant has always been good, but since last year they have made that extra effort to make it superb. Service was spot on, with Maitre'D attending, filling up wine glasses and offering advice just as needed, but also not so stuffy that they minded you filling your own glassof chatting about this an that in a relaxed way. He also noticed that we were vegetarian, made sure the Amuse-bouche was (a shot of carrot and orange soup, soft goats cheese and sun-blush tomatoes). For starters we both had asparagus and quails egg (the Maitre'D made sure that we were ok with eggs) - the hollandaise was spectacular! Our mains were the butter-nut squash on brioche which melted in one's mouth. The pre-desert was peach sorbet with a seedling melon (yum). For desert I had Malt & Milk, which included caramelised banana, Pannacotta along with the malted slice and white chocolate. My partner had Champagne Rhubarb. The meal was followed by coffee and Petit fours on the sofa.

If you want a posh meal in Boscastle (or anywhere in north Cornwall) I'd recommend here). If you're not after anything posh there is always the Wellington's bar menu!

1 Thank Chris M
JSWellington, Owner at The Wellington Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are putting a lot of effort into our food offering, from regular review of suppliers of fresh, local ingredients through to our quality of table service. Your comments are therefore much appreciated. I will pass them on to the Chef, the restaurant manager and their teams.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Old Cleeve, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Although I wasn't staying here, I decided to have my evening meal at The Wellington Hotel after a long hot day's walk along the South West Coast Path from Bude. I had a pint of Cornwall's famous 'Doom Bar' while I looked at the menu. The menu has a good choice as well as the daily specials board. I chose the Ham Hock Salad followed by the Forest Mushroom Ragout, both of which were very well presented and delicious. The hotel looks very comfortable to stay at and I may well return again to try it out.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
London
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We went away for a three night break last weekend and, instead of staying in Tintagel as we normally do, chose the Wellington in Boscastle. I only wish we had done it before. We stayed in the top but one room, The Thomas Hardy. It is in the turret part of the hotel at the front and I was really pleased with our choice. It is spacious and clean with a very nicely decorated bathroom and has all the necessary facilites of well stocked tea/coffee making facilities, bathrobes, toiletries and bottled water..all generously renewed every day (unlike some hotels where the daily re-stocking can be a bit sketchy). Just note though that there are no slippers supplied, so it's best to take your own if you don't like plodding around barefoot. Best of all, the room (and indeed the hotel) had a lovely comfortable feel about it. The staff were fantastic...really friendly and helpful too. We took our little dog with us and he was made to feel very welcome by everyone. For £5 a day, he was supplied with a large dog bed, a bonio, a dog bowl and a clean towel. We only ate breakast at the hotel because we had places to visit during the day but breakfast was faultless and served in a very smart dining room by very cheery, helpful staff. Just a slight warning...internet access is challenging because of the location of the hotel in the valley and only certain phone networks get any reception at all but we used the landline so it wasn't a massive problem. Honestly, I wanted to stay longer and can't wait to return!! See you again, Wellington :)

Room Tip: I would not have chosen another room other than the one we were in but there was brief noise on Satu...
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We honeymooned in the Wellington 42 years ago and it has changed very little. It is a nice hotel with good facilities located in a lovely quiet spot. It is clean and the service excellent. I have nothing but praise for the staff. The breakfast choices are very good although this is where the problem starts. My porridge on the first day was big portion in a big bowl, second day, small portion in a small bowl. Third day, small portion in a big bowel. Fourth day, big portion, big bowel.
The kippers were also very disappointing as small and overcooked. The other choices we made were excellent.
This inconsistancy runs through the entire operation. Staff do not talk to Management nor them to Staff. Management also do not talk to customers. One day the rooms were not serviced but reception seemed unaware until we told them in the evening.
I did see the Owner of the hotel, the man who I took to be the Manager and the Chef who I also believe is a Manager but none of them during my four day stay, addressed me personally nor asked me how I was enjoying my stay. Had they done so I would have would have given them my opinion. I gather they are trying to turn the place round but until they communicate with customers they will be guessing.
We ate in the bar on our first night. I was not excited by the menu and although my food was good the portions were small. I felt the restaurant was expensive and pretentious for the hotel clientelle. We ate elswhere the other nights, as I suspect, many do.
In conclusion, if they get their act together and sharpen up, revise both the restaurant and bar food menus, the hotel would be a superb place.

Room Tip: Choose a superior room if you can.
2 Thank Jim H
Telford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We have just had a four night stay at the Wellington and could not fault it. The staff were all friendly,helpful and very welcoming. Eating in the restaurant each night was not just dinner but a complete dining experience thanks to Jon, Steve and their teams. We couldn't have asked for more, We will certainly be returning and would recommend anyone who wants to feel special to try them out.

Barnstaple, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Lovely Hotel,brilliant food and very friendly staff !

Came here for my birthday and with the lovely weather we had made it a damm fine weekend. Food was delicious as we ate in the restaurant on the first night and I had the Sole, which was just superb. Saturday night we had The Amazing Chataeubriand ! Amazing ,praise to Chef and his team what a excellent piece of cooking !
With lovely walks,time spent in Tingtagel and Port Issac eating fresh crab sandwiches ,what a great way to spend my birthday weekend! Definately we will be coming back.
The staff were just brilliant

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Hi
We have been to Boscasle twice, in 2012 and this year, each time we have had dinner at the Wellington. This year we had dinner every night at the Wellington in the bar. On each occasion the food was excellent, as was the service. It's good to know that the Wellington can provide consistent quality. Well done to Steve the Manager and all his team.

K and L

Room Tip: We did not stay in the hotel
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boscastle
Camelot Castle Hotel
Cornishman Inn Tintagel
Cornishman Inn Tintagel
#4 of 6 in Tintagel
The Longcross Hotel & Gardens

Been to The Wellington Hotel? Share your experiences!