“Made me ill”
Review of Sails Cafe - CLOSED

Sails Cafe
Cuisines: Diner
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Description: Sold up and under new ownership under a new name, thank you to all our loyal customers for your custom.
Reviewed November 24, 2013

I went here for lunch because they were advertising gluten free options. I had a gluten free steak pasty and chips. When I opened it, I thought the chips looked a bit green and the pasty really dry and crumbly (but I was absolutely famished so I dug in anyway). The chips, although still hot, were limp and soggy, and the pasty was definitely really dry (and had almost no filling). I only ate a handful of the chips before putting the rest in the bin, but I did eat most of the pasty (what filling I ate I thought tasted nice, but I'd never had a pasty before because this was the first opportunity I've had to have one gluten free). I have no idea which part of the meal made me ill, but starting from 10 minutes after I really felt like vomiting and the nausea hasn't let up since (5 hours later). And no, I've not had anything else to eat today so it was definitely the lunch.

I'd give one star, but think offering gluten free deserves one more, even if it needs improvement.

Also, I thought the service was the rudest I've had in Boscastle, although it would probably be pretty average by (e.g.) London standards. I've also noticed on some of the managerial replies here, that they seem defensive and not very open to criticism.

It is only fair to note, however, that there was a family in there at the same time as me, to whom the staff seemed to be much friendlier. I'm a fairly friendly person and have had a lovely visit to Boscastle and gotten on with everybody I've met, so I'm inclined not to think it's me who set the tone, but I'm willing to suppose it's possible.

Sails-Cafe C, Manager at Sails Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

I believe you ordered the Gluten Free Pasty and chips to take away, your server checked to make sure you would get gluten free chips and politely informed you it would take 10 minutes to prepare. You then left the building for 25 minutes during which time we kept your meal warm for you in a hot cupboard in a takeaway box which would result in condensation and soggy chips. On your return you sat in the cafe with your 'take away' for some 10 more minutes, sadly after this amount of time no meal will be as fresh as it first was.
Regrettably gluten free pastry is crumbly and difficult to work with, most Caeliacs are aware of this.
I shall pass on your comment regarding the lack of content content to the person who makes them for us.

As you were still in the cafe after 10 minutes it is a shame you didn't report your disappointment to the server/manager at the time, around the time you claim to be feeling so ill?

Clearly, based on the food you happily and unhappily ate at other eateries in the area, you are able to eat items containing gluten and yet you claim the only meal to make you ill was the gluten free one!

It is a shame that we have to defend ourselves against claims such as these, appearing defensive! and yet you could have spoken with us on the day, we are friendly and regularly get praised for our service, which at this time of year is almost always a manager or owner who are not rude to customers.

I have spoken with the gentleman who served you and he remembers you, the long walk you took to look around while your meal was waiting for you and the cheerful greeting he gave you when you returned because he thought you had forgotten to come back also the friendly goodbye he called out as you left.

Clearly we are disappointed that you have left such poor feedback, unfortunately there is nothing I can do about Gluten Free Pastry being crumbly it is one of many difficulties faced by people who are restricted to eating Gluten Free food, I agree that the chips would have gone soggy in the time your meal sat in the warmer, again, nothing I can do about that. I am positive the chips were not green, I chipped them myself that day.

Obviously we are sad that you felt unwell, there are many reasons for nausea the majority of which have nothing to do with food consumption, however we take our hygiene standards seriously and have the highest rating possible from the environmental health. I have looked carefully and find that all equipment, chopping boards etc are scrupulously clean and that my staff have been following good practice.

I trust you feel better and enjoy the rest of your trip.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Good value food. Fish & Chips tasted very fresh & well cooked. Service was quick & done with a smile.

Thank you so much for your lovely review, I am glad you enjoyed the food and service! Happy Travels.

Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

Staff so friendly and made to feel at home. Food homely and comforting. Will definitely return. Thank you for your hospitality.

Thank you so much, you are most welcome, I hope you had a safe journey and hope to see you again.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

Stopped in here to have a coffee and a snack the staff were very friendly. The food was hot and tasty while the café itself was clean and well kept

Friendly, tasty and clean, just the ticket.

Please call in again, we love customers like you!

Reviewed October 29, 2013

The service is quick and the food was quick in coming - a bonus with a hungry child!, the food was ok - I can't rave about it but there was nothing wrong with it!
Sitting outside is a great way to watch people go by as well as look at the view.

Ah well, come again and see if we can get you something to rave about!

Glad you enjoyed the friendly service though, and the essential people watching outside.