“our visit”

The Old Rectory St. Juliot
Ranked #8 of 16 Boscastle B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Was met at the door of this impressive house by Sally who is the proprietor, and welcomed with a nice cup of tea and home made biscuits.We were shown to our room (The Rectors Room) which we could tell that we would be comfortable in.The house is in a secluded setting which adds to its ambiance.All the food served is sourced from the enormous garden ,which we viewed the next day.Spectacular views over the countryside from the property.We did the one hour walk through the woods and fields to Boscastle and got the bus back which stops at the end of the lane.you tell the driver where you want to get off. We had dinner twice at the house,which had a great atmosphere with the other guests .We ate out once in the Cobweb pub in Boscastle and enjoyed our food .I would recommend a stay here to our friends.

Room Tip: We stayed in the rectors room which had views over the garden, Next door was Emmas room which looked...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 22, 2013

Although The Old Rectory is several miles outside of Boscastle, don't let this keep you away. Town is a short walk or a nice hike through beautiful countryside, if you prefer. The secluded setting is part of its charm. Sally, owner/proprietor, greeted us as we drove up and the excellent service continued until she saw us on our way several days later. Everything was perfect - rooms, food, surroundings, the right amount of hands on/ hands off, help with sights and directions, etc. (There's plenty to see locally although my guidebook played down this area. Tintagel, lovely coastal villages, dramatic coastal walking paths and, of course, lots for the Thomas Hardy fans!). Both my husband and I and the couple traveling with us decided this was the highlight of our ten- day tour of Cornwall! Can't recommend it highly enough!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank ksgAustin
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Arrived to be shown round Gardens by Sally..amazing! A very warm welcome..Would strongly recommend this B/B for a relaxing break or handy for lovely coastal walks. My Husband is a big Thomas Hardy follower so we stayed in The Thomas Hardy room which was nice. Everything we could need was catered for..even down to a ( panic box ) should we have forgotten scissors ,plasters , headache pills etc. Bed very comfy too. Thank you Sally and Chris for a very pleasant stay :)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Tom and Barbara from the TV show set out for the Good Life in the 70's sitcom. Here it is with lots of sustainable and environmental friendly features plus Thomas Hardy and first wife Emma history plus beautiful countryside with plenty to do near by and all in comfort. Chris and Sally plus Anna the very best of hosts accepting us into their home.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 24, 2013

What a wonderful find! This place is fantastic. Chris and Sally were such great hosts, and the small farm is simply amazing (pigs, sheep - with new born lambs, ducks, chickens and loads of fruit and veg). The sustainability side of things is fascinating and something we should all be aspiring to! It's not often you eat a full English breakfast with almost everything produced on site (and if it isn't grown/bred on site it's only come from down the road).

Highly recommended and we hope to be back soon!

Room Tip: We stayed in the "Old Stables" suite - which was spacious and very comfortable.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MarkN193
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We have been visiting The Old Rectory for 3 years now and we absolutely love it. We can't wait to turn down that driveway to find our little haven - it's just perfect in every way. If you're looking for somewhere where you feel at home instantly, where you relax as soon as you go through the front door, then a stay at The Old Rectory is for you. Already looking forward for our next visit towards the end of the summer.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank StevieGrimmett
Reviewed April 21, 2013

In the late 1960s, studying Hardy for "A" level, I promised myself that one day I'd visit St Juliot; having waited four decades, the fact that I could stay at the place where Thomas met his first wife made my accommodation selection for me, really. Tea and home-made biscuits on arrival, and a paw-shake from Millie the dog, added to the general feeling of staying with good friends, but without ever once feeling my privacy compromised.
Emma's room, with the lovely view of the garden, was all spotless comfort and complete tranquillity, adorned with a posy of flowers fresh from the garden (quietly renewed on my second day, I noticed); the vast ensuite power shower - with instant and limitless hot water - sparkling clean as new. My hosts were welcoming and chatty without being in any way intrusive, and the convivial atmosphere around the meal table added to my enjoyment - and I'm usually a loner!

Supper of lemon sole, creamy mash, and seasonal vegetables was simply delicious, excelling in both quality and quantity; I finished with the fruit pavlova with the Rectory's own strawberries (like strawberries USED to taste) and blueberries, and regretfully had to pass on the proffered accompanying Cornish clotted cream - or pudding would have been to die OF, rather than just to die FOR.
Tea in the drawing room before sinking into a comfy bed with billowing, starched snowy-white-covered pillows ensured two of the best nights' sleep I've had in ages (and a late afternoon doze, with dappled sunshine and birdsong pouring in through the open window on a warm flower-scented breeze, proved irresistible.)

The Cornish breakfast, with meaty sausages from their own pigs, set me up for the day to the point that I needed only a snack supper. The guided tour of the garden - just bursting into giddy profusion after the longest winter in my memory - was worth the trip alone, if only for the charm of the view from "Hardy's seat" (where my romantic soul couldn't help but wonder if the lovers' first kiss might have taken place?) It was cheering to learn that the tree planted there on the day of Churchill's funeral had been joined by one planted to mark Baroness Thatcher's funeral on the day of my arrival; politics aside, it's good to see significant events in history marked in a "green" way.
Also of significance from my viewpoint - the collection of Hardy memorabilia in the Rectory's drawing-room archive, including material I'd not seen before, despite decades as a Hardy scholar and tutor, the amassing of which Chris was happy to detail; it was a delight to be left alone to dip into these files at my leisure - Hardy is not forced on you against your will, here! A very happy two-night break, one that did not disappoint after those long years of anticipation, and I left St. Juliot with genuine reluctance, and a thorough understanding of what had so bewitched Hardy's heart in this still-idyllic spot. Long may it remain so!

Room Tip: Emma's room is very spacious, and faces south, so it catches the evening sunlight.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo