“Excellent Standards stay the same”

Bottreaux House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 16 Boscastle B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We have just stayed here for the third time and found the facilities have been maintained with the friendly welcome and service up to standard.
We have always had William as our room which comfortably furnished with all the normal necessities being on hand.
Breakfast will make sure your are well satisfied for most of the day and very pleasantly served.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
HeatherTheBottreaux, Manager at Bottreaux House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2012

Thank you for taking time to write a review for us. It is lovely to hear you enjoyed your stay with us as much this time as you have done in the past. Looking forward to seeing you next year. Kind regards Heather Graham

Reviewed October 8, 2012

This was our second visit and again the room was spotless, comfortable, with lovely fluffy towels.The breakfast choice was very, very good and the waitress was brilliant. We stayed 3 nights and would readily come again.
C Andrews

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
HeatherTheBottreaux, Manager at Bottreaux House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. I also appreciate it that you have mentioned our waitress who I think is doing a very good job. I have passed your comments to her and she is very pleased to get a mention.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Welcomed early as a special favour, as we were already in the area, spotless bedroom and bathroom, lovely white bed linen. Went out for evening meal and then returned to partake of very quiet bar, lovely big sofas to relax and read . Breakfast was lovely, waitress was very sweet.

Room Tip: One room is over the front door , so if some guests are noisy and you are in bed it could disturb...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for taking the time to do a review for us on Trip Advisor. We are most pleased when we receive a review.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

My family and I just spent our extended August Bank holiday weekend (24 - 27 August 2012) at the wonderful Bottreaux Hotel in Boscastle!

Initial booking of rooms in the hotel was very straight forward, My family wanted to spend sometime around North Cornwall. I first looked up Tripadvisor (as I always do) to check out the hotels around North Cornwall region. After identifying a number of prospective hotels within the area, I read the most reviews given by other Tripadvisors. I selected the Bottreaux hotel because I believe this hotel represent the best value for money in this area due to the special promotion of 3 nights for the price of 2 - Bed and Full English Breakfast!

I had a party of 7 and unlike other hotels, the Bottreaux does not charge a single supplement for a person using a double bedroom. All the bedrooms at the Bottreaux hotel are double/super king double beds except for one which is a twin bedroom.

When I first rang the hotel via, Heather (one of the owner of the hotel I presumed) answered the call and I explained to her that my party size comprised of 7 persons. Heather allocated me 4 double bedrooms and informed me that she charged on a per person basis. I had already checked the availability of the rooms on the hotel's website.
All the bedrooms at eh Bottreaux are given quite quaint names.
My bedroom was named the Forrabury Heights. It contained a super king size double bed. My children (all grown up) were allocated Smuggler's, Bo's, Paradise. The Paradise is a twin bed bedroom, but it was unavailable on the Friday. However, Heather was most helpful indeed as she allocated us to one of the premium bedroom - Williams for the one night....at no extra cost! I promptly paid the deposit required to reserve the rooms and provided my email address to her. Heather promptly emailed that evening to confirm receipt of my deposit and confirmation of the rooms.

We arrived on Friday 24/08/12 at around 7:15pm. Normal check in time was between 4:00pm and 5:30pm. But as we could not leave from London until after 1:30pm we expected to arrive at the hotel at around 6:00pm. I rang ahead to let Heather know that I would be arriving late. In any event, due to very congested traffic (and heavy rain) around the Bristol/M5 area, we did not arrive at the hotel until well after 7:15pm.
The hotel was very easy to find as Heather, provided me with the post code for my Sat Nav. There is a car park located adjacent to the hotel up a steep drive. The car park has enough space for around 5 cars.

We went to the reception and there was a large telephone on the table providing the contact details for Heather and John (owners of the hotel). Again Heather answered the phone and I informed her that we had arrived. Within a few minutes Heather came to meet us. She greeted us all with a (genuine) warm smile and handed us the keys to our rooms. Each leather keyfob was embossed with the names of the bedrooms.

I only took minimal photos of the bedrooms as the hotel's website already have good accurate photos of all the rooms.

Heather explained to us the need to have our keys with us if we were out of the hotel late as the main doors are closed for security reason after certain time. But the main doors keys attached to each of our key fob would allow us to gain entry into the hotel. She then showed us all to our rooms. All the rooms in the hotel were large. Especially given that all our rooms were either a double or super king size beds in the room.
I would say the super king doublebed in the Forrabury Heights justed fitted the room due to the size of the bed. The window of the Forrabury Heights faces the front of the hotel to the main (but quiet) road. Our room also has partial seaview/forest view.
Our bed was comfortable as it was a little on the firm side.......just how we like it. The children told me that they all loved their beds also as it was comfortable and roomy.
All the bedrooms we had were ensuite. In the Forrabury Heights, there was only a shower and no bathtub. I found the electric shower adequate. The electric shower provided an adequate flow of hot water. I did find the shower head a little on the small side.......that was probably down to the fact that I am a little on the large side!
The breakfast is served in the breakfast room. The name of the bedroom is printed/written on a card which is place on the table to indicate the table is reserved for the occupier of that room. Breakfast selection was plentiful. Fruit juices, yoghurts (kept cool with ice bucket) fresh Cornwall milk and cereals are all located on a central table......buffet style!
Once one is seated the waiter/waitresses, Joe and Lear respectively greeted us with a smile and proceed to take down our orders from the hot breakfast menu. We all ordered the Full English Breakfast - prize winning sausage, two rashes of bacon, fried tomatoes, fried mushrooms (see photo). Plenty of hot toasts and butter! What more can one ask for!
The food was well presented and most important hot (including the plates ) and tasty and served by caring staff. We all could taste the freshly prepared breakfast using fresh locate produce. All credit to Heather and John for sourcing fresh and tasty local produce.
We all loved the prized sausages so much that we asked for 2 sausages in exchange for the 2 rashers of bacon for the remaining two days. No problem Joe and Lear noted this down when took down the breakfast orders.
At the same time the hot breakfast orders were being taken, the orders for the hot drinks were also taken. This ranged from a large carafe of fresh ground coffee, hot tea, decaf tea, Earl Grey, right up to hot chocolate......no problem all our requests were met with a smile from Joe and/or Lear! The toast baskets were replenished constantly. Lots of small bottles of jams to choose from on our breakfast table. Plenty of butters and flora to spread on our toasts.
One very novel and excellent idea at the Bottreaux hotel is the Honour Bar. There is a fully stocked bar containing beers, lagers, wines, alcohols, soft drinks, snacks and confectionaries. The idea here is that when one consumes anything from the honur bar, they record down what they have consume by disclosing the name of their bedroom in a little A5 sized book located on bar table area. I have come across this type of arrangement only in some 4 and 5 Stars hotel. And only when one has booked into a premium/suite type bedroom or club room! The Bottreaux hotel offers this with a well stocked bar. One of the children did consumed a bottle of juice from the bar and I recorded this in the honour bar book. But Heather did not even charged us for this. Thank you Heather!
The hotel is located on top of Boscastle on the main l. It is a 10-15 minutes walk to get to Boscatle harbour. Along Boscastle harbour is some beautiful coastal walking paths. We followed one and trekked up to the National Coast Watch Tower. We all enjoyed the trek, the coastal scenery and the fresh air! (see photos).
After a long day out either sight seeing, visiting another town (i.e. Tintagel and the legendery King Arthurs Castle and Merlin's Cave), we would return back to the hotel late in the evenings and we all rest our feet in the warm and comfortable lounge area of the hotel (see photos).
Overall, we all enjoyed our stay at the Bottreaux hotel and I highly recommend this hotel without any hesitation. It really does represent very good Value For Money (VFM)....especially with the special promotions offered at the time we stayed. And no single supplement for a person occupying a double room! We all found Heather and John were perfect host....both genuinely caring, friendly and they made every effort to ensure that our stay at the Bottreaux hotel an enjoyable and memorable experience. They succeeded! Nothing was too much trouble for them. For example when Heather held that we were driving down to West Cornwall on the Sunday and without us asking her, she took the time to look up some reputable eateries on the website for us and printed off the details for us.
If you are looking for a quiet weekend break around North Cornwall with lovely coastal walks and scenaries nearby in North Cornwall, the Bottreaux hotel in Boscastle should be on the top of your shortlist. We will certainly use this hotel again should we visit this part of North Cornwall in the future.

Room Tip: If you want a larer roon choose the deluxe rooms! The smuggler's is close to the local pub (loc...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

I would like to say thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. It is most appreciated.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

Stayed three nights, large spacious bed. Very clean room.
Heather and John great hosts nothing to much trouble.
Large tasty breakfast set us up for the day to enjoy stunning nearby walks.
Hope to return next year.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
HeatherTheBottreaux, Manager at Bottreaux House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2012

Thank you for writing a review for us it is most appreciated. Hope to see you again in the future

Reviewed July 18, 2012

Very Clean and welcoming, breakfasts are excellent would recomend it

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor for us and we hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

Stayed at the Bottreaux for just one night, wish it could have been a longer stay. Very friendly owner and staff, room was lovely, very cosy, the bed was the best I have ever slept in extremely comfy. Breakfast was superb, lots of choice and cooked to perfection. The honesty bar is a fab idea and we enjoyed a late evening drink whilst perusing the owners literature on the Boscastle flood. Hope to return for a longer visit soon.

Room Tip: The Crows nest was very cosy
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

Many thanks for taking time to write a review for us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Boscastle
The Wellington Hotel
#9 of 16 in Boscastle
The Old Coach House
The Old Coach House
#2 of 16 in Boscastle

Been to Bottreaux House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!