“Epic portions of scrumptious grub...”
Review of The Chiverton Arms

The Chiverton Arms
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Blackwater
The Chiverton Arms
Ranked #1 of 1 Blackwater B&B and Inns
“Epic portions of scrumptious grub...”
Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

After a long day and a missed lunch my three friends and I were treated to culinary treat for dinner at this friendly hostelry just off the A30 (set well away from the road you can forget you are just 30 seconds from the main Cornish trunk road). A generous portion of whitebait and a tender steak defeated my ravenous appetite and left my taste buds surrendering to the rich and flavoursome meal. Friendly, spacious, comfortable and well cleaned - a lovely place to be.

Stayed January 2014

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Ireland
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

December 27th where to go for lunch? One of our group suggested Chiverton Arms. Hadn't been in there for 20 years or so. I was impressed.
Our waiter was excellent both in terms of his knowledge of the food and the beers. The food is not 'fast' but all 4 in our group w ere happy with our
Choices. The dining area is well thought out and a special mention for the toilets, both ladies and gents were immaculate. On leaving we saw that there was accommodation. Only 3-4 miles from the coast, good food, beer and a bed. Sounds good to me.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Halesowen, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2013

What a poor excuse for a Sunday roast that was served to us tonight. Where else would you go and not be served sage and onion stuffing with roast pork!!! We were also given a very poor and small selection of basic vegetables for two of us but were charged £9.50 each. Not value for money in our book. Full marks though to the lad who was serving and running the bar.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2013

What started off as a good evening very quickly went down hill. We arrived early only to find certain dishes were off the menu! Main courses arrived, the fish had to be sent back as it was not cooked properly, a new piece arrived only to find exactly the same problem. Steak and ale pie had no taste, obviously taken from the freezer and microwaved. The next table to us also sent several dishes back and ended up with bacon egg and chips. The poor waiter was having a mental break down.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Andrew C
Sparks, Nevada
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Great location just off the A30 in central southern Cornwall making easy day trips to either coast and the end of the Cornish peninsular and all the noted beach areas along both coast's.It is also very convenient for many of the cathedral cities and old mining areas that we wanted to see.The
accommodations are very clean and comfortable and the dining room offers typical pub fare which was very good.There is a childrens outside play area which our 7 year old grandson really enjoyed. The staff are terrific and on my wifes birthday, they went out of their way to make it a special day

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We came across this pub on the way back from a day out with the kids...stopped and had a drink and thought what a delightful little place this was. As we had planned to take my in laws out for a thankyou meal that evening, decided that this would be a good place.....BAD DECISION!
That evening our experience couldn't have been more different! Having booked our table that afternoon...we arrived promptly for our table...when we arrived we were told we would have to wait before we could order because it was too busy...having been allowed to finally make our order , we waited 2 hours before finally being served our dinner!,Worse , was the fact that people who had come in after us had been served, eaten and gone ! Having waited over an hour , I called a waitress over who said...they had been busy and that our meal would be with us in 10 mins...20 mins later we approached another waitress who replied that our meal wold be with us in 20 mins!! ...A little wound up by now I requested to speak to the manager....I was abruptly told that she was too busy !!! My husband got up and went to the bar to find her...he told her that we had waited almost 2 hours, with no apology, he explained that if our meal wasn't with us by 9.30, we would be leaving and , no, we would not be paying for he drinks we'd had! She lamely apologised and we continued to wait....the place was practically empty at this stage. At 9'30, our meals came... My father in laws burger was ok-nothing special, my husbands chicken pie was quite nice, my mother in laws scampi was very watery, and certainly not worth the wait....and the haddock that I had ordered arrived with no potatoes, or vegetables....just a small piece of fish, in the middle if a large plate! I asked the waitress where the rest of my meal was and she replied...that's it.I showed her the menu and she went back to the kitchen and came back to me..."chef says another 10 minutes for the potatoes and veg!!" . "You are joking?!" I replied... "Well, could you take this , and bring it out at the same time please" I continued, Begrudgingly, she took my plate and I waited a further 10 minutes, while my family where eating their meals.

The meal came to £85 pounds including the two drinks we'd had(most of which were non alcoholic).
Overall, dreadful service, not the best food, and a real cant be bothered attitude by staff....a very disappointing spend.

• Stayed August 2013
Venice
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Went early evening and sat in the restaurant area- interesting decor certainly not brasses and copper! We all had something different and everything was good. Fresh Mussels, fish, ribs - sauce was excellent and they adapted a childs menu to our requests.
The outside play area is great and on warmer day you could easily sit out and watch the children play. The pub was pretty full also with locals. Prices were good , menu pretty traditional but with a twist but no poncy food and small portions either. Yes we would happily return.
Loved the hand cream in the bathroom ..nice touch!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Chiverton Arms? Share your experiences!